Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the HEPA filter used all the time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David99

Supporting Member
Jan 31, 2014
Nomad (mostly US)
I tried to find some info but I can't find anything definitive. My Oct 2023 Model Y P has the normal cabin air filters in the center foot well. But it also has the large HEPA filters under the hood. As the HEPA filters used all the time or only when I turn on the 'bioweapon defense mode'? Reading through some discussions BWD mode is creating a higher pressure inside the cabin to ensure no air is coming through the gaps around the doors. It isn't adding an extra filter. In other words the HEPA filters are in use all the time regardless of what mode the climate control is used. Can anyone confirm?

That has been fixed by Tesla via software. The car will run the cabin air fan to dry the filters if needed. I noticed this often when I park my car after driving in it for a while.
Maybe they “tried” to fix this via software, but I saw a series by a guy where he did some extensive HVAC testing (including buying an entire assembly to test outside of the vehicle) and he noted that the very “fix” you’re speaking of…might actually be a “cause” for some of the mold/mildew/stink issues in some cases. Depending on year and model, there are MANY different “issues” in the HVAC design IMHO. Way too many to be able to apply any one single issue that will resolve everyone’s issue. For some, it could very well be moisture from outside humidity. For others in drier climates, it could be something else entirely. I can say without a doubt, for me, here in the DFW area, the addition of the HEPA/Biohazard filter in my 2023 MYP and subsequent flow redirection has prevented smell issues so far (almost 6 months and 7.5k miles), in my now departed 2021 MYLR7 (pre-HEPA) these issues were constant and I had a stash of Cool-It cleaner ready to go every few months… Now that Hades approximation has arrived in North Texas, we’ll see how it does beating back the triple digits without stench soon enough.