Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smelly AC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so I did more test last night. I parked outside overnight while there is no rain. Turned on AC this morning, there is no more smelly AC.

Seems like only happen when parked outside on raining days..Is it worth to get it checked by service? I would imagine they will say nothing wrong since the smell only shows up on raining days?

I just replaced the Cabin Air Filters in the car and it doesn't smell anymore. Costed me 23 dollars on amazon. Note the screw holding the cover is a T20 and is in a really annoying spot. I used a right angle bit adapter to get at it.

Thanks for the information. Can you share the link to the air filter on Amazon?
Weird I bought this last week and it's unavailable now:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0817L1PN4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
(here's another https://www.amazon.ca/ZaoCun-Filter...ir+filter&qid=1597264663&s=automotive&sr=1-54)

I just looked up "tesla model 3 air filter" and found the cheapest for the pair. You're looking at 30 dollars EACH (you need 2) at Tesla Service if you want to buy them. There's tons on ebay and amazon that you can get cheaper. After changing it I honestly cannot tell the difference.

Reactions: jjtsl
2015 model S 85D
Drove 2 hours in hard rain at highway speeds two weeks ago. I noticed water in the air intake while unloading the frunk. Opened it up only to find a soaking wet air filter. There are drain holes at the bottom of the intake, but I guess the water came in through from the top. Dried it out overnight out of the car and reinstalled the next day. I would have hoped the filter was better protected from rain.

booked a service with telsa mobile for stinky AC..the guy came and changed the filter. I assumed it was under warranty because it's obviously a design flaw. no charge was mentioned until the work was done 5 minutes........then he says oh ya its $150 and you have to pay now before I leave WTF. brand new model y perf. what a bush league company tesla is. dont worry about oil changes, you just have to get new filters every 3 months.........this has class action written all over it. it's not user error or wear and tear........came from the factory like that and is going to happen over and over.........didn't fix the cause, just the symptom.....great money making scam. keep your receipts people I'm having my lawyer start the class action today so you will all get reimbursed

booked a service with telsa mobile for stinky AC..the guy came and changed the filter. I assumed it was under warranty because it's obviously a design flaw. no charge was mentioned until the work was done 5 minutes........then he says oh ya its $150 and you have to pay now before I leave WTF. brand new model y perf. what a bush league company tesla is. dont worry about oil changes, you just have to get new filters every 3 months.........this has class action written all over it. it's not user error or wear and tear........came from the factory like that and is going to happen over and over.........didn't fix the cause, just the symptom.....great money making scam. keep your receipts people I'm having my lawyer start the class action today so you will all get reimbursed
Good luck with that sonny. Air filters have always been a consumable part.

Bit weird for it to be 3 months as you claim. Generally it’s good for a year minimum.

Reactions: cdswm3
Tesla would change the filters for my S on every annual service. Never had odour problems with the S. The Three started to smell a little after using the AC but the filters were three years old by then. Changed the filters myself and sprayed the AC heat exchanger that is behind the filters with HVAC cleaner from Canadian Tire. Easy and inexpensive maintenance. All of the cars I've owned have had oder issues with summer time AC usage (except the Model S).
I don't need to get reimbursed from a class action lawsuit. :rolleyes: