Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smoke When Charging [steam under certain conditions]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, new member here. I'm sure this has been addressed before but I thought it might be of assistance to others. Just picked up my new Model YLR yesterday and am enjoying my first EV. Fortunately my SA found a car in inventory and even though I only ordered last Friday evening I was able to take delivery. Since I haven't received my wall charger yet I took my vehicle to a local super charger. When the car was nearing full charge suddenly smoke started rising from under the vehicle. Not having any experience with charging an EV it was pretty unnerving. I read today the quote from Tesla "The thermal system may produce steam under certain conditions if your vehicle is equipped with a heat pump (to determine if your vehicle has a heat pump, touch Controls > Software > Additional Vehicle Information). For example, odorless steam can come from the front of your vehicle while charging at a Supercharger in cold temperature. This is normal and not a cause for concern."

Wish I was aware of this before.

Reactions: Crafty flower
The charging process produces a lot of heat. If it's cold outside you'll see steam. Kind of like ICE cars making steam out their tailpipe.

You should probably also be aware the car might make a loud thump noise from under the floorboard. Not sure if they've changed the design to eliminate that. If it does do that it's just the high voltage hardware flexing rapidly due to heating up and expanding, particularly in cold weather.

Enjoy the car!

The charging process produces a lot of heat. If it's cold outside you'll see steam. Kind of like ICE cars making steam out their tailpipe.

You should probably also be aware the car might make a loud thump noise from under the floorboard. Not sure if they've changed the design to eliminate that. If it does do that it's just the high voltage hardware flexing rapidly due to heating up and expanding, particularly in cold weather.

Enjoy the car!
Aha! Heard the thump noise several times but since a construction crew was building a bridge nearby, I thought is was some of the construction noise. My wall charger is scheduled to be here tomorrow and if UPS doesn't deliver too late, I should have it up and running tomorrow evening. (wire and breaker box connections already completed)

Thanks!

Yes, probably water in the atmosphere that froze on the Heat Pump/AC coil when heat pump was warming battery during initial charge. Then defrost cycle melted that ice causing warmed moist air to blow out into colder air and voila! Happens on home heat pumps all the time, especially when it’s cold but still humid enough for ice to form. First time it happened for me it was in 40s and rainy. I too jumped out of car.