Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Snippiness 2.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, thankfully that makes things slightly easier but I haven't had to turn my headlights on when my wipers on in any of my cars circa-2008 onward. Feels like such a downgrade in functionality and safety, and perhaps the most annoying thing is the lack of release notes around it. It's mind boggling that Tesla would silently remove a function that handles a legal requirement (and, honestly, safety requirement) in 18 US states?
Seriously you need release notes to tell you your lights are not on? Maybe you shouldn’t be driving.

So, I bought a brand new '19 (July Build) Model 3, Standard Plus, Autopilot, White on White. LOVED the car. However, I got it under a Car Loan. The total of the Monthly Payment, including Insurance, was $663.00.
So, after a year and a half of owning it, I thought my lack of driving and lack of actual need for this "extra car" was not worth the price tag. So I decided to sell in March of '21, at a small profit, so that I wouldn't have to pay so much monthly for a car. I thought I would just buy a cheap old car, cash, to not have a car payment, and insurance would be much much lower.
I'm very familiar with BMWs, so I decided to get a 2012 e92 from a "corner" dealership. Unbeknownst to be (and supposedly to them), the car had deep-rooted issues that ended up costing me a lot to fix. I decided to sell the car, and get an even older car, which would be cheaper to repair, and had several inspections done on. I went with my favorite chassis - e46, 2004. But I shipped it from 4 states away (it was the only reasonable one I found).
This car was perfect for a while, but eventually it did need a couple of things.

Almost a year after selling the Model 3, I decided to run the numbers of how much I had "saved" by owning a car that I bought outright, and having no car monthly payment.
Here is the ACTUAL breakdown of what it came down to

-GAS Between March 21, and Jan 22:
= $1100
-Repairs:
= $170 - smoke test
= $270 - O2s
= $20 - Oil and O2 adapter
= $285 - Touchscreen
= $459 - Drive shaft Work
= $ 515 - Drive Shaft
= $302 - Fuel Filter
= $411 - 05/19
= $175 - BMW Dealer Diag
= $878 - E92 repairs
= $120 - Misc Repairs
= $170 - Misc Repairs
= $1400 -E92 Repair
= $350 - Insurance, total for the year

Total cost for "owning an old, gas car, no car payment"
$6625.00
-----------------
Tesla = Sold for $3214 net profit
e92 = bought for $8579 - $3214 = $5365
e92 Sold (after all the repairs, and deciding not to keep it)
for = $8500-$5365 = $3135
Bought e46 for $3012+$2500 (shipping)= $5512-$400 (rebate) - $3135

Total spent on "acquiring" e46 - $1977.00

GRAND TOTAL going from Tesla in March to Jan '22 (Total of owning old car) - 6625+1977 (acquisition)= $8602
------------------

- How much have I "saved " by having crappy cars, in 10 months, after selling Tesla

= Tesla Monthly Payment, $663 x 10 = $6630.00

GRAND TOTAL going from Tesla in March to Jan '22 = $8602 MINUS $6630
= $1972

-----

So, Too Long; Didn't Read:

I didn't save a Cent....it actually COST me $1972 to trade my brand new Model 3 for a "cheap old car" with no car payment.

Now, I know this whole anecdote is riddled with mistakes. (not to mention that people will say "well, you got a bmw - they're super expensive to fix). But they're not uncommon mistakes. And the decisions are decisions that I have seen friends and family make, attempting to accomplish the same thing. So, if anything, this is a cautionary tale. I'm pretty old. I've never had the "fluid cash" to buy a $45000 car, cash, outright.
I do today.
But regardless of whether I did or not, I will never, because of this experience, try to go from a "high monthly payment" to a crappy old car just to avoid paying that car payment.
In fact, I don't think I'll ever get a used car ever again. I don't think the stress is worth it.

-Ron
Obviously not the brightest kid on the block. Your fatal mistake was getting a used BMW of all cars.

• Disagree
Reactions: redrover
It’s occurred to me that, over quite some time now, it seems as though you search out and post all things negative about Tesla. Why is that? I often question why you’re here. Perhaps I’m reading more into your posts than you intend.
Think you have the wrong person. I posted a headline about a factory fire. It’s news. I’m a shareholder and owner. It’s of interest to me. Sorry you find it offensive.

Think you have the wrong person. I posted a headline about a factory fire. It’s news. I’m a shareholder and owner. It’s of interest to me. Sorry you find it offensive.
No, i don’t. Remember that this is the investors thread, and BS fire posts are just that, BS. It’s something the detractors here post.

Worse, we all know the FSD timeline is delayed. We get it, we all do. We really don’t need constant unhelpful reminders. Please ask yourself why posts such as this get so many down votes.

Please remember that many here have a lot invested in TSLA, and it may not be received well when supposed supporters post such comments, as they’re posts only a TSLAQ supporter would love.

Success! Hey, I didn't select Times New Roman but whatever works :D
No, i don’t. Remember that this is the investors thread, and BS fire posts are just that, BS. It’s something the detractors here post.

Worse, we all know the FSD timeline is delayed. We get it, we all do. We really don’t need constant unhelpful reminders. Please ask yourself why posts such as this get so many down votes.

Please remember that many here have a lot invested in TSLA, and it may not be received well when supposed supporters post such comments, as they’re posts only a TSLAQ supporter would love.
Consider contacting the moderators and indicating you don’t approve of my opinion or of the content of my posts. Ask them to delete my account. That should make you feel better. 😊

Cheers. Stay safe out there.

1644063034355.png

Did anyone hear a strange whining noise earlier? It's stopped now.

Status
Not open for further replies.