Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Snow Chain 20"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m curious how these perform as well. I wouldn’t want to intentionally take my performance 3 with 20’s into the snow but it wouldn’t be a bad idea to have these in case you get caught in some inclement weather on a drive.

I have the Model S version, and have used it once. They were $400, so that is a nice change.
They are strong enough, no worries. They do make quite the racket and make everything vibrate, so low speed is key. Yes, they go on the rears only.

You are very likely to never have to put on the chains (as the roads usually close before R3 kicks in), as you are in an AWD car.

NOTE: I would never attempt to drive in snow with the OEM summer performance tires, for two reasons:
  • Those tires will be useless hockey pucks on the fronts. You are likely to end up in a ditch even with the chains on the back wheels.
  • The CA DOT mandates that you have at least all-season tires to pass chain controls.

I'm wondering if anyone has purchased these chains ?
How are they working?
Do they hold up?

The thinness makes me think they might snap. Its not too bad for the price on two wheels. I assume the rears.

Model 3 Snow Chain - 20" Performance

The company that manufactures these chains is extremely reputable, and the chains are very reliable given how much they're used in eastern Europe. That's not Model 3 specific, but based on the fact that this company is just extremely popular and well reviewed.

The thinness of these units is due to the minimal clearance between the 20" wheels and the suspension components. If you attempt to use a more traditional chain, the center spans will catch on your suspension and will very likely strike the body panels at the lower side of your wheel well. These units fit more snugly to the tire itself.

Given you're in the bay area, I'm guessing you're planning for something like driving up to Tahoe? Don't do that on the stock 20" wheels, even with chains. I absolutely can not stress that fact enough. I ordered snow tires and wheels, the wheels were delayed, and I ended up caught in a storm. The summer tires are absolutely unusable in those conditions. Even a light dusting of snow makes them totally undriveable. If you're planning to make winter trips up to the mountains, you'd probably be better off going with a 19" wheel and decent all weather tire. I normally wouldn't ever tell anybody to go all weather or all season, but given how big the temperature and condition difference is in such a short distance, driving on snow tires would just be pointless.

Snow chains are really only best for when you've got winter rated tires already, and you need to get a bit more traction on hard packed snow. Otherwise they offer nothing at all. You should also expect your maximum speed with chains on to be 20MPH or less. Driving any faster can (will) cause damage to your car as well as the chains.

I was in Yosemite this weekend and saw a model 3 with aero wheels and chains. I took my Jeep rubicon on this trip. Even if I had 18’s with chains I wouldn’t want to drive on roads like this (see picture). Assume that Tesla didn’t take this pass but still impressed someone drove their 3 into the snow.

Attachments

• C4B45F71-B00D-44D5-9E25-9C32CB40132A.jpeg
    C4B45F71-B00D-44D5-9E25-9C32CB40132A.jpeg
    752.4 KB · Views: 161
I was in Yosemite this weekend and saw a model 3 with aero wheels and chains. I took my Jeep rubicon on this trip. Even if I had 18’s with chains I wouldn’t want to drive on roads like this (see picture). Assume that Tesla didn’t take this pass but still impressed someone drove their 3 into the snow.

I wouldn't hesitate for a second to take my car on a road like that. It looks like it was relatively recently cleaned up, the sides of the road are carved out well, and it's just too beautiful to not be traveled.

Reactions: e-FTW

That looks like a really fun drive. The timeshare I have is up highway 207 Kingsbury Road. Going up the mountain with lights pointed upwards and seeing nothing on the road like that in the picture was a bit challenging. My 4-wheel Pilot steered like a boat.

After seeing that video posted in another thread here today showing a model 3 with aero's crushing through an unplowed road, I definitely don't see this part of the pass being an issue with non summer tires! Obviously some uphill and downhill factors to contend with for other parts of this specific drive, but I feel a lot more confident after seeing that video.