Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Snow chains on Model 3 Performance+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

e-FTW

New electron smell
Aug 23, 2015
San Francisco, CA
I've not seen anyone come up with a solution yet.
(For those that do not live in California, we are mandated to have snow chains in the car, or mounted to rear wheels at certains times when driving in the mountains. Depends on conditions in the mountain passes. So you could be in the Bay Area enjoying the sunshine and 80 degrees, then drive a few hours and end up in snow. Californians will not put snow tires on their cars for that.)

We need some way to drive this car (again, the Performance Upgraded one with the 20-inch wheels) when going up for a weekend in the hills. I get it has summer performance tires, but it can still be driven in most conditions if you have chains on hand. I know that does not make sense, but those are the rules...
Thoughts? Any rumors of a Tesla solution?

All-season tires count as "snow tires" for purposes of California snow restrictions as long as they have the M+S rating. I'd suggest getting a set of All-season tires either on their own rims or mounted on your stock rims for the winter (right about now, when the first rains are starting is a good time to do that).

Your summer tires aren't going to be much good for most of the winter anyway - so might as well get the all seasons.

California has three levels of chain controls
R-1: Chains required - snow tires ok on 2WD and 4WD with snow tires on at least 2 drive wheels
R-2: Chains required on 2WD cars, 4WD ok with snow tires on all 4 wheels
R-3: Chains required on all vehicles
Per DOT: "R-1 and R-2 are the most common conditions. A highway will often be closed before an R-3 condition is imposed."

FWIW I've never experienced an R-3 in 30+ years of living in CA.

If you don't mind shelling out $500, here's an alternative that I've seen get good review (no personal experience - I always went M+S with AWD and carried cable chains I never needed to use): Spikes-Spider: Easier, Better than Tire Chains - Winter Driving

Reactions: DR61 and nwdiver
All-season tires count as "snow tires" for purposes of California snow restrictions as long as they have the M+S rating. I'd suggest getting a set of All-season tires either on their own rims or mounted on your stock rims for the winter (right about now, when the first rains are starting is a good time to do that).

Your summer tires aren't going to be much good for most of the winter anyway - so might as well get the all seasons.

R-1: Chains required - snow tires ok on 2WD and 4WD with snow tires on at least 2 drive wheels
Per DOT: "R-1 and R-2 are the most common conditions. A highway will often be closed before an R-3 condition is imposed."

If you don't mind shelling out $500, here's an alternative that I've seen get good review (no personal experience - I always went M+S with AWD and carried cable chains I never needed to use): Spikes-Spider: Easier, Better than Tire Chains - Winter Driving
This is the correct answer. Get a set of rims with all seasons for driving in the snow. Not worth risking damage to a $75k car from either the chains (they break, can be installed wrong, etc) or sliding off the road on summer tires (They explicitly say they are not to be used in temperatures below 40F).
You're still required to carry chains but, yeah, I've never seen R-3 either and I've driven in whiteout conditions when they were doing convoys.

With performance summers like these, if you drive them <40F you void the warranty. They will become slick death traps and likely crack and tear around 20F. So no, even with chains you can't drive them up to Tahoe.

Get another pair of rims and snow tires, or just don't drive it to Tahoe

I've not seen anyone come up with a solution yet.
(For those that do not live in California, we are mandated to have snow chains in the car, or mounted to rear wheels at certains times when driving in the mountains. Depends on conditions in the mountain passes. So you could be in the Bay Area enjoying the sunshine and 80 degrees, then drive a few hours and end up in snow. Californians will not put snow tires on their cars for that.)

We need some way to drive this car (again, the Performance Upgraded one with the 20-inch wheels) when going up for a weekend in the hills. I get it has summer performance tires, but it can still be driven in most conditions if you have chains on hand. I know that does not make sense, but those are the rules...

Chains on summer tires is insane, and I would not recommend it. If you actually need chains, though (there are places that require you to have them, regardless of snow tires or not), then read the owner's manual. Tesla specify a chain manufacturer that fits on the 20" wheel, presumably with the Pirelli Sottozero. The suspension strut will be in the way if you use the wrong style or size chain, so don't get generic chains. Go with cables or the Tesla specified part.

Chains on summer tires is insane, and I would not recommend it. If you actually need chains, though (there are places that require you to have them, regardless of snow tires or not), then read the owner's manual. Tesla specify a chain manufacturer that fits on the 20" wheel, presumably with the Pirelli Sottozero. The suspension strut will be in the way if you use the wrong style or size chain, so don't get generic chains. Go with cables or the Tesla specified part.

My owners manual says Maggi Trak SP214 for the 20" tires.

Now I can't actually find those chains on their website and their website also doesn't list the model 3 as a car, but that's what the manual says.

• Helpful
Reactions: e-FTW

You may wanna read this bit from TireRack regarding your Pilot Sport 4S:

Note: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.

Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Max Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. Compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced.

I'm afraid you need another set of tires.

Now I can't actually find those chains on their website and their website also doesn't list the model 3 as a car, but that's what the manual says.
Thank you, this is helpful. I cannot get to my Owners Manual yet. Long story, car still sitting at delivery center.

To everyone else: do not worry, I am not taking those summer tires in actual snow. I'm from Canada, I know better.
I was simply wondering what folks were going to do for the occasional trip up in the Sierras. Like once or twice a year.

Yep; My Mom has driven a Subaru in the mountains in WA for ~15 years. Never bought chains.

To everyone else: do not worry, I am not taking those summer tires in actual snow. I'm from Canada, I know better.
I was simply wondering what folks were going to do for the occasional trip up in the Sierras. Like once or twice a year.
I’m not sure how Canadian snow is different.
I’m keeping my aero 18s with the stock all seasons for snow and road trips and getting a set of wheels with summer tires for everything else.

The Tesla site didn't have winter tires for the 20" wheels in stock for a long time, too. I think they're working with vendors to get supply in stock, but they're fighting a losing battle.

As for Maggi Group, they're _very_ Italian from what I can tell. So you'll probably have to contact them directly to find out how to order the Sport 214 for the Model 3. I'm not sure if there are other vendors selling them online, and honestly the only vehicles I've seen using them were trucks. I had no idea they made chains for cars until I saw the entry in the Model 3 manual.

Edit

This site seems to sell them Quick Trak Car Tire Chains | Free US Shipping, so clearly you can find dealers that distribute these. Calling around to places that sell the Model X compatible "Trak" is likely your best bet, because Maggi group is who makes the Model X chain system.

Last edited:
The Tesla site didn't have winter tires for the 20" wheels in stock for a long time, too. I think they're working with vendors to get supply in stock, but they're fighting a losing battle.

As for Maggi Group, they're _very_ Italian from what I can tell. So you'll probably have to contact them directly to find out how to order the Sport 214 for the Model 3. I'm not sure if there are other vendors selling them online, and honestly the only vehicles I've seen using them were trucks. I had no idea they made chains for cars until I saw the entry in the Model 3 manual.

Edit

This site seems to sell them Quick Trak Car Tire Chains | Free US Shipping, so clearly you can find dealers that distribute these. Calling around to places that sell the Model X compatible "Trak" is likely your best bet, because Maggi group is who makes the Model X chain system.
Same stuff as what I got for my S. If it fit on the 3, that would be nice, but I would still be stuck with skates for front tires. I could really go for an all-season tire and give up on track performance.
Switching out wheels twice a year was part of the routine of seasonal changes. But switching wheels and tires every time I want to go for a weekend in the hills feels like a waste of time.
Yes, I know, no one forced me to get the Performance Upgrade Package. But have you seen those brakes? And the stopping distance they enable (99feet)? This car dude is drooling...

Such is the life in California.

The stock tires on my STI were deathtraps with just a sprinkle of snow. (I took delivery at the wrong time of year...)

I wouldn't get anywhere near snow let alone the temps with the stock tires on the P+. Get a second set of wheels and tires.

Reactions: DrDabbles
Same stuff as what I got for my S. If it fit on the 3, that would be nice, but I would still be stuck with skates for front tires. I could really go for an all-season tire and give up on track performance.
Switching out wheels twice a year was part of the routine of seasonal changes. But switching wheels and tires every time I want to go for a weekend in the hills feels like a waste of time.
Yes, I know, no one forced me to get the Performance Upgrade Package. But have you seen those brakes? And the stopping distance they enable (99feet)? This car dude is drooling...

Such is the life in California.
I've got a battery powered impact wrench and can swap wheels in 10 minutes. I can understand it would be a pain in the ass without a garage and the proper tools.
Unfortunately the only reason it stops in 99 feet is because of the tires. The regular brakes are more than powerful enough to engage the ABS. The bigger brakes are only better if you're trying to stop from 60mph repeatedly. All seasons have much less traction than summer tires.

Reactions: e-FTW
Here in the SoCal mountains, we've encountered R-3 from time to time, perhaps every other year or so. In such conditions, access to the mountains is often limited to property owners (or those who already happen to be up here). I do want to be prepared for the possibility of actually having to install chains.

Those of us with non-P cars and standard 18" wheels have it easy. I'm thinking of just ordering the Pewag chains on the Tesla website, but I came across this thread while hunting for reviews by fellow Model 3 owners.

Are other users of the AutoSock going with the 685 size? I have a P3+ and am going to Washington for Christmas.

I have already bought some cheap all season tires, we will see just how good they are for $90 each (Nakang NS-25)

I know this is an old post but I'm about do do a similar trip in my P3D+. How'd those tires do in the snow /cold weather? Any insight?