Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Snow chains

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed that Tesla has snow chains for sale in their accessory store.

I'm snow-chain ignorant. Can snow chains be used in place of regular snow tires in the event of a big snow?

I'm specifically thinking of instances in Chicago Where we get a big snow and I have trouble getting out of the alley, which is never plowed.

The city's great plowing all of these main streets and expressways. I'm just wondering how the temporary use of the chains would work.

I grew up in the Chicago area and have lived in Boston and Cleveland as well. I've never used, or seen anyone using snow chains on their car in those urban/suburban areas. Most of those roads are plowed or salted so there is not enough accumulation to use chains. If you use it with too little snow/ice, it will rip up the asphalt as well as your chains. Out here in Northern California, cars that go up to Tahoe and Reno in the winter may be required to put on snow chains when there is a big storm. Several times a winter there will be snow chains REQUIRED on I-80 (yes the same one as south of Chicago if you follow it west) and the highway patrol will not allow you to pass if you don't have them. That's were you'll see the truck at the side of the road selling and installing chains. Once the chains are on you are limited to 30 mph or it could break and wrap around your axle as i know from experience.