Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Snow experience with and without smart air suspension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given that experience, would you still get an SaS car? Also, can you share info about your winter tool kit items?
I'd still get SaS - I don't know how much tangible benefit there is to lowering the suspension at highway speeds, but I like having the option to raise the car in situations where the underside might rub (car washes, steep driveway entrances, etc). Once you realize what's happening with the snow (i.e., why you're getting that air suspension error message), it's more of an annoyance than a problem - the car displays the warnings and stays on the Standard suspension level but otherwise drives normally.

When the snow starts to fly, I add a collapsible camp shovel, a couple of those metalized survival blankets, a bucket of cheap cat litter, tire chains, and now my poking stick. It's an early 2014 P85 RWD with a set of Pirelli Sottozero 3 and only time I had a problem driving it up here (about 30 miles south of Mackinaw) was when I tried going up my 10-degree driveway without clearing some light snow off.

I went with the intermittently recommended Z-chains rather than the Trak Sport chains that Tesla sells after reading too many reports here of the $500 Traks coming off the wheels and being lost. I've also seen comments here that the Z-chains cables can chew up the suspension arms and when I test-fit the chains (in a warm dry garage) I noticed that the cables like to hang up on the suspension. However, it was easy to fix it by feeling around behind the tire to make sure that the cable is resting on the tire itself.

Hope that's helpful...

Chicagoan here, I ride on Normal" all winter and only use the highest setting if I need to clear some snow and have no choice in the matter. I don't think I've really cared vs springs, honestly, except for that first winter when it threw errors. Tesla filled my suspension with humid california ambient air and the moisture froze inside the air system and caused errors. The service center replaced the air with nitrogen and it's never needed a refill since.

Snow tires are all you need, I wouldn't fret over the suspension in snow.

Not sure why those singing the praises of snow tires assume you can't have both snow tires and SaS. Having multiple tools available to you is always better.

Why singing praise for snow tires? For example, in Germany if you don't have snow tires and have an accident in the winter time the insurance company is off the hook and you are on your own covering your expenses. Reason: the snow tires are very effective in snow.

Why singing praise for snow tires? For example, in Germany if you don't have snow tires and have an accident in the winter time the insurance company is off the hook and you are on your own covering your expenses. Reason: the snow tires are very effective in snow.
You fail to comprehend what I'm taking exception with based on this response. Never once did I say snow tires in snow climates are a bad thing.