Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So… Highland is out…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if the Cybertruck's Steering by Wire will be added to other Tesla Models?

The advantage will be that you will not have to turn your steering wheel upside down when making a sharp turn.

So the turn signals buttons will be very easy to use with no confusion.

CT Yoke .jpeg

And, what's more, I still fail to see what actually there is to be gained by all this effort. If there was some sort of sensible trade-off then you could argue the case a bit more strongly.

Cost savings, reduction in materials thus greener maybe. Other than that, I certainly would not consider it an upgrade. More of a revolution other than evolution.

It clearly works for some but not for others even if it's just a self applied logic. Needless to say that the subject of indicators has always been a topic even before Tesla existed.

Its a certainty that the highland will sell over here and going forward, it would be a sad thing to see people come around here and be mocked for buying it.

Some people still think that an automatic car is rubbish or not a "real car" but this is more a thing of a certain age, following or just how they learned how to drive.

Interesting to see several Norwegian driving schools have already dropped the 3 because of the stalkless design and its potential safety issues.

I suspect this will be harder for the instructors than for the pupils. A bit like a car driving instructor trying to teach someone how to ride a motorbike when he/herself does not know how to 🤷‍♂️

So much so that the location and operation of their stalks has been standardised across the industry by regulation.
Clearly it's not by regulation or Tesla wouldn't be able to change it, or other cars which didn't have stalks e.g. some old Citroens.

I do think the suggestion that people are going to need to indicate while their wheel is at 180 degrees so unlikely, roundabouts are not that tight. And while I agree there seems to be no benefit to me, moving to another brand of car would likely lose too many other convenience features that I would miss. I'm also not likely to want to change my current for a good few years yet so not really relevant for me.

Reactions: Oxid8ter and Js1977
I suspect this will be harder for the instructors than for the pupils. A bit like a car driving instructor trying to teach someone how to ride a motorbike when he/herself does not know how to 🤷‍♂️
It certainly would make it harder for them to correct the mistake if the pupil forgot to indicate, as they couldn't reach over and flick the stalk for them. That said, Like i mentioned before, they could install S3XY buttons on the passenger side. I query why any new driver needs to learn in a car with that much power anyway - never driven before and exposed to Circa 300Bhp in a Standard Range (iirc)
or other cars which didn't have stalks e.g. some old Citroens.
Or back in the days (quite a while back admittedly) when you were insured to drive any vehicle, and you borrowed your mates car and indicated with the wipers because it wasn't uniform what side of the wheel they were on. 😂
I do think the suggestion that people are going to need to indicate while their wheel is at 180 degrees so unlikely, roundabouts are not that tight.
This is the point I raised before, most of the roundabouts near me are "built up" ones with 3-4 lanes, and a lot of improvement plans running locally are to widen roundabouts, or replace them with traffic lights.

or other cars which didn't have stalks e.g. some old Citroens.
The old Citroen's had the indicators on a binnacle that stayed in the same position, it's no different from a stalk.
I do think the suggestion that people are going to need to indicate while their wheel is at 180 degrees so unlikely, roundabouts are not that tight.
There are several roundabouts, mini for the most part, within a mile of me that require a turn of more than 180 degrees, one much more than that's as you almost come back on yourself for one fo the exits.

I wonder if the Cybertruck's Steering by Wire will be added to other Tesla Models?

The advantage will be that you will not have to turn your steering wheel upside down when making a sharp turn.

View attachment 1005709
A car that has progressive steering like the Cybertruck is one of the places steering wheel indicators can work as you can tune out truns greater than, say 160 degrees so the indicators are still in the same place relative to your thumb.

Tesla jumped far too early before getting the steer by wire in all the cars with steering wheel indicators.

Reactions: ACarneiro
And when your steering wheel is 180 degrees turned, the buttons are on the wrong side of the wheel, right is now the lower button and left is now the upper one.

Can you now see why this might be an issue?

No, I can't see how it is an issue. You develop muscle memory that automatically presses the correct button when the wheel is at 180 degrees.

How about the different countries where the indicator and wiper stalks have switched sides? How often will you end up turning on the wipers instead of indicating before you re-learn where things are?

How many 100 meters will you have been driven without looking at the road while trying to figure out how to adjust the climate controls or change the radio station in a new car until you have learned and got used to how the system works and where things are?
That is in my opinion more dangerous than someone missing to indicate every not and then in roundabouts where the speed is low anyways and you always have to make sure it is clear and safe before changing lane or make the turn out of it.

View attachment 1005709
If/when they do that I will be ready to accept I need to try it as it will probably be a none issue. But the Tesla way is to deliver out of sequence, remove radar before they had a vision only software stack, remove parking sensors before they had Tesla Vision parking, removea rain sensor before they had it working, you could even go back to when they dropped the Mobileye AP hardware a year ot 2 before they had an alternative.

The price some buyers pay for Teslas progress I guess.

There's a video floating around about the Lexus yoke compared to the Model S and it covers this topic and the safety/redundency elements, I'm not sure on the legalities but there was a lot of redundency built in so should be a mattter of time, although clearly its not a legality thats holding Tesla back on this at the moment.

No, I can't see how it is an issue. You develop muscle memory that automatically presses the correct button when the wheel is at 180 degrees.

How about the different countries where the indicator and wiper stalks have switched sides? How often will you end up turning on the wipers instead of indicating before you re-learn where things are?

How many 100 meters will you have been driven without looking at the road while trying to figure out how to adjust the climate controls or change the radio station in a new car until you have learned and got used to how the system works and where things are?
That is in my opinion more dangerous than someone missing to indicate every not and then in roundabouts where the speed is low anyways and you always have to make sure it is clear and safe before changing lane or make the turn out of it.
I lived through a period of time when they switched side and it was a nightmare, but even then at no point did I have to think "if the steering wheel is turned more than 90 degrees I need to use the other hand"

I lived through a period of time when they switched side and it was a nightmare, but even then at no point did I have to think "if the steering wheel is turned more than 90 degrees I need to use the other hand"
I don't need to think either and have no issues hitting the correct button no mater if the wheel it at 0, 90, 180, 270 or anywhere in between.

It is all about muscle memory, same as you eventually can manage to adjust the climate control, TCC, radio, music etc without having to look what you are doing while pressing buttons all over the place because you know where they are and how it works.

• Disagree
Reactions: beachmiles
I thought we had variable rate steering already in the UK? So either that means steer by wire is allowed, or they're doing something with the power assist to vary the rate? Makes me think you could do that less rotation lock to lock without steer by wire necessarily?

That's not how muscle memory works, it requires there to be a repeated action relative to part of your body, if your hand and the button are not in the same relative position there is no muscle memory.

The Japanese indicator stalks on the wrong side are a perfect example, they are in the same relative position to you regardless of the steering wheel position, and even then it takes some getting used to.

It's not the same as steering wheel buttons though.

You do not need to change the climate control mid roundabout.

Answering a call using a button on the steering wheel, or changing the volume, requires a look if your hands are out of position, this is the problem.

Steer by wire could solve this of properly implemented, unfortunately, like USS and Teslavision Tesla have jumped the gun for no real reason, I think just because Elon was so keen on it.

The old Citroen's had the indicators on a binnacle that stayed in the same position, it's no different from a stalk.
My parents both had BXs, god knows why they liked the air suspension inflating itself I think. It was a toggle mechanism, not something you could push in the same way as a stalk, it certainly took some getting used to.
There are several roundabouts, mini for the most part, within a mile of me that require a turn of more than 180 degrees, one much more than that's as you almost come back on yourself for one fo the exits.
Yes, but it's not required in the highway code to change indicator direction to indicate you are leaving a mini roundabout, you just indicate as you approach. No need to change while the wheel is rotated.

Reactions: spdpsba
I thought we had variable rate steering already in the UK? So either that means steer by wire is allowed, or they're doing something with the power assist to vary the rate? Makes me think you could do that less rotation lock to lock without steer by wire necessarily?
From what I recall reading the reason why Toyota/Lexus was delayed last year was because China tightened their rules for steer by wire making them more stringent than the EU/UK so I think it will be compliant here.