Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So...do we charge the LFP RWD Y to 100% everyday?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That’s not practical and the car doesn’t let you set it that low anyways so you really have to go out of your way to keep it that low. 50% is fine if that works for you. If you need more then go higher. And LFP you should charge to 100% occasionally so it can better calibrate the BMS.

These guidelines are something to just keep in mind but no need to bend over backwards to keep the charge low. As been mentioned, the battery should survive through the warranty period without giving any concern to degradation.

Interesting, so I should keep it at 20%? I guess my previous setting of 80% was probably bad for the battery, assuming the car keep the battery cooled to 25C at all time.
I certainly wouldn't keep it at 20%, that's way too impractical for me. I think you should keep it at whatever is most convenient for you. 80% is fine. 100% is fine too. 70% or lower is better for battery degradation, but it's up to you. None of these things are "bad" for the battery.

Your original concern was about warranty. None of these decisions will impact your warranty. You were also concerned that you're not able to charge to 100% often. That's fine too if you understand the pitfalls.

assuming the car keep the battery cooled to 25C at all time.
I haven't seen any evidence that the car does this. I don't think (although someone may correct me) that the car ever actively cools the battery when not driving or charging. That would undesirably drain your battery when the vehicle is not in use.

That’s not practical and the car doesn’t let you set it that low anyways so you really have to go out of your way to keep it that low. 50% is fine if that works for you. If you need more then go higher. And LFP you should charge to 100% occasionally so it can better calibrate the BMS.

These guidelines are something to just keep in mind but no need to bend over backwards to keep the charge low. As been mentioned, the battery should survive through the warranty period without giving any concern to degradation.
True, but I would really hope the car last at least 20 years, if not 40 years given the price. I am ok if the range shortens to 100km (25%) though, just don't die on me.

My daily commute only uses 6-7% and since I am charging at 110v, I can precisely control how much goes in (16% over 8 hours). Theoretically, I could charge from 4% to 20% every two days. Not sure I am comfortable with having it that low though. I might do 20% to 36% instead. Not sure what I am going to do in the winter yet. LFP batteries haven't been around long enough to see long term calendar loss trend yet. I guess we will see over the next 20 years.
I certainly wouldn't keep it at 20%, that's way too impractical for me. I think you should keep it at whatever is most convenient for you. 80% is fine. 100% is fine too. 70% or lower is better for battery degradation, but it's up to you. None of these things are "bad" for the battery.

Your original concern was about warranty. None of these decisions will impact your warranty. You were also concerned that you're not able to charge to 100% often. That's fine too if you understand the pitfalls.

I haven't seen any evidence that the car does this. I don't think (although someone may correct me) that the car ever actively cools the battery when not driving or charging. That would undesirably drain your battery when the vehicle is not in use.
That's a little concerning, but probably not a huge deal in Canada. I try to park it in the shade during summer. I wonder what's the loss at -25C, lol.

My Model 3 has the LFP and I charge 95% of the time on level 1 as it is all I have access to in my rented condo.

I find that I can change overnight 20-23% if rated. So if I plug in at 77% SOC after work in the AM I’ll be at 100%
In the winter I will plug in every night as I loose about 40% or more of range. And it is easier to charge the battery when it is warm.

When I leave on vacation I will leave the car at around 70% and plugged in. And before I leave to come home I’ll open up the app and change it to 100%. So it is back up when I get home.

I would suggest just plug the car in when at home and let the car do its thing.

When I got the car 17 months ago it was rated 438km it now shows 420

Enjoy the car!

My Model 3 has the LFP and I charge 95% of the time on level 1 as it is all I have access to in my rented condo.

I find that I can change overnight 20-23% if rated. So if I plug in at 77% SOC after work in the AM I’ll be at 100%
In the winter I will plug in every night as I loose about 40% or more of range. And it is easier to charge the battery when it is warm.

When I leave on vacation I will leave the car at around 70% and plugged in. And before I leave to come home I’ll open up the app and change it to 100%. So it is back up when I get home.

I would suggest just plug the car in when at home and let the car do its thing.

When I got the car 17 months ago it was rated 438km it now shows 420

Enjoy the car!
That's amazing. Mine was rated 394km, less than two months, it already dropped to 379km once before recovered to 385km now. Right now I am charging on the weekend and it can last the entire week. With the new ultra low overnight rate plan, I might have to charge a lot more frequently going forward.

The car is amazing. I am enjoying it a lot.

Last edited:
Reactions: drdumont
I believe the LFPs generate 3.1V vs the NMC at 3.7V, from the BMS ability to track the state of the battery, LFP batteries must be occasionally charged to 100%. NMC does not like 100% so I'd never do it. It's true also that after a quick drop at beginning, LFP batteries should stabilize for a long time and probably can get more cycles of charges before it degrades.

But the penalty is energy density, voltage and hence acceleration/torque from the same battery size compared to NMC batteries. The dual motor LR 2023M3 still use Lithium Ion don't use the LFP batteries, but the RWD standard range one uses LFP.

I have another scenario I have not seen in the forums (as far as I can tell).
2023 Model 3 RWD. LFP Battery.
My commute is less than 10 miles a day. I have access to free L2 charging at my work, but I cannot leave it charging for the full day.

1. Should I charge it from 85-90% to 100% each day (Monday-Friday)? And not plug it in any other time?
2. I'd rather not leave it plugged in all the time at home (Tesla recommendation from manual) and have it charge on my dime. I guess I could reduce the charge limit to 70% or so when at home so as not to use home service to charge battery, but meet the "always plugged in" recommendation.
3. Simply charge once or twice a week for free at work, and not have it plugged in any other time?
4. Stop worrying about it and just charge when convenient, and enjoy the ride?

thanks!
Hi Cesterly,

I have the exact same question. I asked support about this but always get different awnsers.
I let the charge limit set at 100% all the time and just plug it in at around 20%.
Or is it better to set it to 70% daily and plug it in like 2. ?

Did you find an answer to this?
I get the feeling that battery is degradating already when the car is new from september 2023 Model Y standard range.

Thanks