Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So Elon Says CR attained 350 actual miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Range is attainable under perfect conditions (HVAC off, 80 degree+ F weather, dry pavement, mild accelerator input, limited use of friction brakes, 65 MPH max speed, 42+ PSI, LRR tires)

These are unrealistic conditions for most people, but when these conditions are met, the range can definitely be attained.

I recently achieved 261.5 miles while using 57 kWh with a Performance Model 3 which is notorious for high energy consumption.

My Model 3 has some efficiency modifications done, but even without these notifications, I firmly believe the rated range could be achieved.

350 miles with the LR RWD Model 3 sounds very plausible.

LR AWD Performance Stealth on 19” OEM Wheels. That comes to about 329 miles range. And that’s average over 2500 miles. That was over last spring and summer.

48639894407_af49541dec_h_d.jpg

Reactions: Orwell and DR61
Definitely doable, I was avg in the low 220’s as well with stock tires. Seems better (for me) on city and timing the regen. Also this was before sentry was introduced (I suspect this drains some)...

Sentry affects wall watt hours (or better said your wallet) but it does not get factored into the cars wh/mi trip computers. preconditioning cabin or battery, cabin over temp and Sentry are all not factored in. Basically, all usage while parked is not factored in to your trip computers. Oh and charging losses are not factored in either.

Last edited:
It seems many people say this or similar things all around the US ("you will get run over if you drive slower than 75 mph...", etc.). I have yet to see any data to back this belief up.

Because generally only obstinate Prius drivers drive under the limit on multi lane limited access freeways. Well, that and Model X drivers running on low.

• Disagree
Reactions: anon125110
OEM Performance spoiler
Unplugged Performance front lip
Mountain Pass Performance Sport coilovers lowered 1"
OEM 18" Aero wheels
OEM LRR Michelin MXM4 tires
Lightweight 12V battery

I have an Unplugged Performance rear spoiler coming hopefully next month if they keep their word.

Also going to make a custom diffuser
What would you say the unplugged stuff did for you? I’d be glad to review it myself but honestly it’s just a bit spendy which I can use instead toward lighter wheels that aren’t boat anchors.

• Disagree
All of this banter about getting another 20 miles or so is just silly. The car goes over 300 miles on a charge, and chargers are every one hundred miles, maybe more if you live in some sections of the country. Either way, charge at home and go. What's the point?

My S gets around 250 miles of range. And yet I drove from California to Colorado, across long stretches of desert without an outlet in sight. Again, the point is?? Unless you're an absolute idiot and can't understand what the estimate of remaining range on the display means, you should have no problems. Your old gas car gave you no such estimates, and there are stretches where gas stations are few and far between. I'll take the Tesla, thanks. In a pinch, you can pull into a gas station and pay to plug into their outlet. Bet you can't pump gas at your home garage, though.

All of this banter about getting another 20 miles or so is just silly. The car goes over 300 miles on a charge, and chargers are every one hundred miles, maybe more if you live in some sections of the country. Either way, charge at home and go. What's the point?

My S gets around 250 miles of range. And yet I drove from California to Colorado, across long stretches of desert without an outlet in sight. Again, the point is?? Unless you're an absolute idiot and can't understand what the estimate of remaining range on the display means, you should have no problems. Your old gas car gave you no such estimates, and there are stretches where gas stations are few and far between. I'll take the Tesla, thanks. In a pinch, you can pull into a gas station and pay to plug into their outlet. Bet you can't pump gas at your home garage, though.
In ideal test conditions (70-80f, no wind, clear skies, little to no elevation change) using the largest option battery single motor combo with very moderate-slower traveling speeds. Even our 3MR couldn’t average below 270wh/mi in normal driving to save its life.

• Disagree
What trim?

The reality is one would need to average <200wh/mi to get 350mi miles on your average LR battery out of a full charge.

lr rwd, with stock aero’s minus the cover plus jackrabbit starts on mainly city driving.

if I baby the car with the aero covers on, it’ll def be under 220, many of my daily stop and go work commute was under 200. Weekends it jumped because a lot of times there’s a good mix of fwy which I get much worse numbers...

All that is in the past tho, I have summer tires now and avg 250

lr rwd, with stock aero’s minus the cover plus jackrabbit starts on mainly city driving.

if I baby the car with the aero covers on, it’ll def be under 220, many of my daily stop and go work commute was under 200. Weekends it jumped because a lot of times there’s a good mix of fwy which I get much worse numbers...

All that is in the past tho, I have summer tires now and avg 250
I’d really love it if they announced the return of the 3LR. I’d switch to one of those from the SR base I have on order.

• Disagree
What trim?

The reality is one would need to average <200wh/mi to get 350mi miles on your average LR battery out of a full charge.

No, you’d have to average around 214 wh/mi to reach 350 and plenty of people do with RWD on Aero’s in good weather.

When folks refer to “range” they are really talking about efficiency as well. You don’t need to charge to 100% and run it down to 0% to get the benefits of “350” mile range. It just simply means you don’t have to fill up as often, it will cost less and have more margin when efficiency isn’t so good due to weather etc. than if the car had 325 range.

When folks talk about ICE vehicle range do they have to run the tank to empty to get the benefit of its range?

The only meaningful number is the EPA number for comparison purposes. Otherwise everyone will get their own number. But if EPA goes up, for real, due to hardware or software change then in all likelihood everyone will go up as well (just by varying amounts). If it’s a EPA re-evaluation then nothing changes. If CR gets 350 it means absolutely squat.

No, you’d have to average around 214 wh/mi to reach 350 and plenty of people do with RWD on Aero’s in good weather.

When folks refer to “range” they are really talking about efficiency as well. You don’t need to charge to 100% and run it down to 0% to get the benefits of “350” mile range. It just simply means you don’t have to fill up as often, it will cost less and have more margin when efficiency isn’t so good due to weather etc. than if the car had 325 range.

When folks talk about ICE vehicle range do they have to run the tank to empty to get the benefit of its range?

The only meaningful number is the EPA number for comparison purposes. Otherwise everyone will get their own number. But if EPA goes up, for real, due to hardware or software change then in all likelihood everyone will go up as well (just by varying amounts). If it’s a EPA re-evaluation then nothing changes. If CR gets 350 it means absolutely squat.
That’s assuming your car actually has a full **usable** 75kWh. My numbers were based off what the LR pack probably has as usable (~70kW as an average)

Last edited:
In ideal test conditions (70-80f, no wind, clear skies, little to no elevation change) using the largest option battery single motor combo with very moderate-slower traveling speeds. Even our 3MR couldn’t average below 270wh/mi in normal driving to save its life.

Im averaging 269-270 wh/mi on my model 3P for its life so far, and thats around 20k miles so far.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
That’s assuming your car actually has a full **usable** 75kWh. My numbers were based off what the LR pack probably has as usable (~70kW as an average)

Well, this isn't exactly accurate. My wife's 2018 P3D+ with 12k miles still has 74.4 usable kWh with 3.3kWh reserve. Brand-new the pack has nearly 80kWh in total. And the EPA rating is of course based on a new battery pack.

Interested in hearing more about this as my '19 and '20 have similar range. The only thing I heard is the 2019+ Model S received the Model 3 motors to improve efficiency/range.

I could be wrong, but I am fairly certain the G revision of the rear motor is what prompted the small efficiency increase. It's the only piece of hardware in the driveline I can find that changed and would make sense.