Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So far, not a great buying experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They had X in stock.
Offered $5100 discount for in stock order. I gave the deposit.
I am supposed to pick it up in 10 days. The guy Matt ignores some of my emails.
Some girl named Paris texted about delivery date . I replied and she doesn't reply. Luxury car buying experience, this is not!

I have to agree Tesla can not match the premium experience but i don't think they were aiming for it anyway. I much prefer ordering online and chat to friendly staff in store who don't judge you then a stiff upper lipped BMW suited salesman. Their communications can be improved a hell of a lot starting with a better CRM platform. Check your PM for some info.

You are right about the friendly staff in the show room. Better than "slick car sales man".
How ever, I don't like it that the guy I am dealing with, ignores my emails! He replies once in a while.
I am in the dark about the pick up in 10 days. He said he would let me know a connection for tinting. I wanted to set up an appointment ahead of time with the tinting buy but the sales guy ignored my reminder too!

Yes the sales guy really should have emailed you upfront with more information so you could plan your delivery and other installations. Perhaps you can speak to Tesla fremont to get a better clarifications of your concerns?

I joined for several reasons.
One to see if others also have had similar experiences and maybe some one found an email address to complain to higher ups
Second,, to see if tesla Chicago monitors this forum and someone would message me.
Third, I have a different post to find a good tinting shop for windshield tinting.
Forums are meant to share experiences!!

Hope you have better things to do than put such useless reply! !

You are not alone here. I ordered MX and my emails, text have been ignored too. If I call the store directly then I can get a response but this ISNT the EXPERIENCE I was hoping for. This is in bay area/Dublin Showroom. People are nice at the showroom but MIA when you ask questions and now I am questioning about how the service experience will be. Are they just nice till you place an order?

• Love
Reactions: Mke111
You are not alone here. I ordered MX and my emails, text have been ignored too. If I call the store directly then I can get a response but this ISNT the EXPERIENCE I was hoping for. This is in bay area/Dublin Showroom. People are nice at the showroom but MIA when you ask questions and now I am questioning about how the service experience will be. Are they just nice till you place an order?

Once you place the order the sales people do not have much more information than you do.

I use the Dublin SC and you can expect the service experience to be good, but curt. Do not expect a lot of hand holding. With 1 in 20 people in the area driving a Tesla the place is slammed. They prefer to work via online for appointments and will try to get you to not make appointments for minor issue one by one, but rather bundle up issues. I am OK with this, but if you expect a Mercedes or BMW service experience you may be disappointed. But, then again, unlike BMW and Mercedes, Tesla does not make most of it's money in service.

Reactions: Mke111
Good points, especially about making money on service. How ever, the luxury brands are offering excellent service experience; most of which is under warranty. I try not to own a luxury car without factory warranty and I always buy extended warranty. Time will tell, whether Tesla needs extended warranty.. Any experience from 2012 owners? I don't believe consumer reports on reliability of Tesla (only those with problems will reply to CR and Tesla owning subscribers are very very limited).

Btw, a friend told me that for Wisconsin, we have a local service guy and that he's excellent to schedule work with. Scheduling is easy and the service guy just comes to the house/office and takes care of the repairs!

Last edited:
Once you place the order the sales people do not have much more information than you do.

I use the Dublin SC and you can expect the service experience to be good, but curt. Do not expect a lot of hand holding. With 1 in 20 people in the area driving a Tesla the place is slammed. They prefer to work via online for appointments and will try to get you to not make appointments for minor issue one by one, but rather bundle up issues. I am OK with this, but if you expect a Mercedes or BMW service experience you may be disappointed. But, then again, unlike BMW and Mercedes, Tesla does not make most of it's money in service.

So I am trying to change the seats and Tesla Support (1800#) suggested that I work with "Inside Delivery Advisor" and sent me an email to make the change but also asked me wait and talk to IDA first. My IDA's name showed up under my Tesla A/c but she did not respond to 2 emails I sent. Just today I got an email from her (not in response to my email) stating delivery date. I've called her twice and left a voicemail. Again I am not angry but this limits the good experience. I don't know if I can still change the seats and get the delivery 1st week of Dec or can they help me find something in the inventory or just need to take the car as what was ordered. There isnt a single point of contact who would interact and ensure that the customer has all questions answered and is a happy experience.

Buying a Tesla is more of an internet buying experience than the luxury car buying at a showroom.

Tesla communications are terrible at hand holding and back and forth banter.
They usually will not respond to inquiries unless and until they have something significant and relevant to provide.
Just the casual "How's it going" will usually not invoke a response.

I imaging that sometime in the future they will have some sort of UPS delivery type of system where you can see your individual vehicle process from order placement to manufacturer through transportation. Will kind of like watching an Uber driver making his way to your location.

Rest assured, when they have your car almost ready for delivery, they will indeed get in touch with you to arrange delivery.

Buying a Tesla is more of an internet buying experience than the luxury car buying at a showroom.

Tesla communications are terrible at hand holding and back and forth banter.
They usually will not respond to inquiries unless and until they have something significant and relevant to provide.
Just the casual "How's it going" will usually not invoke a response.

I imaging that sometime in the future they will have some sort of UPS delivery type of system where you can see your individual vehicle process from order placement to manufacturer through transportation. Will kind of like watching an Uber driver making his way to your location.

Rest assured, when they have your car almost ready for delivery, they will indeed get in touch with you to arrange delivery.
Thanks but I want to change the config on car and if they dont communicate I will be forced to take how it was configured at order!

My Model X order was nothing but a disaster and was delivered a few days late. On top of that, it took a month and lots of yelling to get Tesla to pay off my trade-in. Our Model 3 order so far has been the complete opposite, where our DA is helpful and responsive to texts and emails.

I think it just depends who you get for a DA. I agree though that this still doesn't feel like a premium buying experience.

I just picked up my MX. This is the worst car buying experience EVER! Honda/Toyota offer much nicer experience!
First, they don't have an indoor delivery area. It was 29 degrees tonight.. freezing.. to learn summon feature or even look closely at the car I just bought!

Second, their delivery people have an "attitude". They basically want you to take the car and leave and not waste their time! The guy who had given me a test drive in the past, had been more helpful and nice than the delivery people! People on the sales floor seem nice also but the delivery people seem to be of the mind set "You are lucky that you got to buy this car. You are probably too stupid to learn it now and I am not spending 1 hour with you to teach it. So, take it home and figure it out. Get lost in a hurry!".
I was not even given info about whom to call, if I had questions. No info about service procedure (apparently there is a Milwaukee service person who is very nice - per a friend of mine who owns a Tesla).

Mr Musk might be a brilliant man but he has no clue about sales experience aspect. People seemed friendly enough on the sales floor but the ones inside, who handle deliveries/orders are rude and arrogant!

Last edited:
Tesla is still trying to get through the "delivery and service" hell that hit once Tesla got through their "production" hell. Now that they can produce about 1000 vehicles a day - Tesla has to build out capacity to support those vehicles - for delivery and afterward.

We've purchased 3 Tesla vehicles (2013, 2017, 2018) - and based on our experience as Tesla owners for almost 6 years, they've gone through growth spurts like this before, when service dropped temporarily until they could implement improvements, and expect them to figure this out and get back to the quality of support we've seen from Tesla for most of our 6 years as customers.

Reactions: rocketdallas