Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So much for 3-5 months

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What about long trips though? A bigger car is generally more comfortable. More room for luggage, etc. I recently fled from Houston right before Harvey hit, and I put my two cats in their individual cages, a litter box, my suitcase and tons of supplies and had room to spare. That one trip made me love my S an order of magnitude more than I already did. That was the first time I used the frunk, and since my car is RWD I have a large frunk. I'm just afraid I'll miss all that space if I go for the 3. I also drive a Volt, and I do like the smaller car in parking lots.

Based on your reasoning just go for the X!

7 people and whatever cargo you want up to a 747. :)

Bigger car is more flexibility but the 3 is way too awesome for being half the price of the S.

7ECBE966-0E79-4680-AE36-9EAE741DEA82.jpeg

Reactions: dhrivnak
E-fan, unless I'm missing something, the S is 50% more than the 3. The base price of the 75D -- only option available online - is $75k. The base price of the 3 is $49k, or $51k if you want larger wheels and a color other than black. But still, $25k/$50k is a 50% price premium before any options. Yes, its an awesome care, but still a chunk of money more.

(Just configured my second 3 yesterday after running the numbers for a 75.)
When you adjust for range it’s more like double the price. Then “50 pc more room” is all relative. What about cup holders and all? (I admit the S I have driven were a couple years old so maybe that has changed!)

IMO if you are going to spend the extra money just buy an X. It’s very close to the price of the S, way less outdated, and we know some families will just want a big SUV over a sedan whatever the price difference is.

Not to mention the Y is at least 2 years away.

I would argue the resale value of the X will be a lot stronger than the S in the next couple years.

And add rising gas prices to that with comparable ICEs that get 15 mpg....

What about long trips though? A bigger car is generally more comfortable. More room for luggage, etc. I recently fled from Houston right before Harvey hit, and I put my two cats in their individual cages, a litter box, my suitcase and tons of supplies and had room to spare. That one trip made me love my S an order of magnitude more than I already did. That was the first time I used the frunk, and since my car is RWD I have a large frunk. I'm just afraid I'll miss all that space if I go for the 3. I also drive a Volt, and I do like the smaller car in parking lots.

We have an ICE SUV if we ever need the space. That said, I just completed a 540 mile round trip in the 3. It was great and fun to drive. The car had plenty of space for a wife and a kid and his stuff for a one month overnight camp and then a weekend out of town for us parents. The rear seats did not have to be folded down. The only thing in the back seat besides the kid was two bags of snacks. Frankly, with a little more thought, they could have fit in the trunk (and certainly in the empty frunk...I forgot I had that).

Unrelated to this thread, after this road trip I can say a couple of things 1) the supercharger network (and placement near food/retail) is important for road tripping.....made the trip so easy and 2) EAP is worth it...our trip was roughly 4-5 hours each way and EAP probably drove at least half the time. I was not tired of driving at all.

Reactions: dhrivnak
We have an ICE SUV if we ever need the space. That said, I just completed a 540 mile round trip in the 3. It was great and fun to drive. The car had plenty of space for a wife and a kid and his stuff for a one month overnight camp and then a weekend out of town for us parents. The rear seats did not have to be folded down. The only thing in the back seat besides the kid was two bags of snacks. Frankly, with a little more thought, they could have fit in the trunk (and certainly in the empty frunk...I forgot I had that).

Unrelated to this thread, after this road trip I can say a couple of things 1) the supercharger network (and placement near food/retail) is important for road tripping.....made the trip so easy and 2) EAP is worth it...our trip was roughly 4-5 hours each way and EAP probably drove at least half the time. I was not tired of driving at all.
EAP just drove half the time?

EAP just drove half the time?

Probably. It was an estimate and it could have been more. That said, I like driving and the 3 is fun so I wanted to control it.

On the flip side, I am new to EAP and frankly there were plenty of situations where I was not going to trust it. I don’t want to derail the thread but in some high traffic spots and narrow lanes EAP was fine but the other drivers would put it in a spot to react in a way that made me uncomfortable. I knew what those dumbass drivers were going to do so I would slow down or use more of the left/right side of the lane rather than be centered. EAP would have been fine but I need more experience with it and the way it reacts before I can trust it more than I did. I quickly discovered that my 3 car length distance requirement is an invitation for east coast aggressive drivers to cut me off while I’m driving 79. I’m not ready to go to 2 car lengths at that speed in heavy traffic in order to reduce getting cutoff. As a result I’ll be in control until I learn more. I can manipulate the other drivers a little by anticipating and speeding up/slowing down. EAP is not there yet. By the way, I can totally see how people crash when EAP is on. When the road splits and lines disappear, you need to be in control.

Probably. It was an estimate and it could have been more. That said, I like driving and the 3 is fun so I wanted to control it.

On the flip side, I am new to EAP and frankly there were plenty of situations where I was not going to trust it. I don’t want to derail the thread but in some high traffic spots and narrow lanes EAP was fine but the other drivers would put it in a spot to react in a way that made me uncomfortable. I knew what those dumbass drivers were going to do so I would slow down or use more of the left/right side of the lane rather than be centered. EAP would have been fine but I need more experience with it and the way it reacts before I can trust it more than I did. I quickly discovered that my 3 car length distance requirement is an invitation for east coast aggressive drivers to cut me off while I’m driving 79. I’m not ready to go to 2 car lengths at that speed in heavy traffic in order to reduce getting cutoff. As a result I’ll be in control until I learn more. I can manipulate the other drivers a little by anticipating and speeding up/slowing down. EAP is not there yet. By the way, I can totally see how people crash when EAP is on. When the road splits and lines disappear, you need to be in control.

I have been using EAP almost daily for 1.5 years, and still feel the same way. It’s good to maintain healthy caution! It helps in a ton of areas and I’m glad I bought it for sure, but I don’t test it past what I think it’s limits are for sure