Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So the COVID-19 is causing delays?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

I don't know what Musk did to get Alameda County to call Tesla an "essential business", but things like this could harm or kill a lot of people. Santa Clara County (next to and across the bay from Alameda County) is not doing too well with Coronavirus.

Furthermore, the more things like this happen - the more likely we will see an executive order from the Governor shutting down the whole state.

Tesla claims they are exempt because the are a “critical national infrastructure”

“National Critical Infrastructure are business sectors crucial to the economic prosperity and continuity of the United States, and includes auto manufacturing and energy infrastructure as defined by the Department of Homeland Security. People need access to transportation and energy, and we are essential to providing it... As a result, Tesla and our supplier network will continue operations that directly support factory production, vehicle deliveries, and service. If you work in these areas, you should continue to report to work, and if you don’t you should work from home until further notice.”

So if you are under a shelter at home order, you must report to work?

I’m in Santa Clara County and received an emergency alert on my iPhone ordering me to shelter in place. That was followed by a text and email from the county asking me to acknowledge I read and understand the order by clicking a custom link. Fortunately, we can both work from home but try doing that with 2 kids stuck in the house.

Last edited:
I don’t expect the Fremont factory to continue operating much longer. It will only take one infection for them to make the decision to shut down. They probably already have employees who have the virus but just have not begun showing symptoms yet. I would be very surprised if you see them still open by April 1.

Reactions: AZjohnInCA
I’m in Santa Clara County and received an emergency alert on my iPhone ordering me to shelter in place. That was followed by a text and email from the county asking me to acknowledge I read and understand the order by clicking a custom link.

I have an older android phone, didn't get any notice and I'm certainly not clicking on some link. you sure it wasn't a call center in india, trying to pose as the IRS or something? ;)

how can they 'order' you via a phone? that's hillarious!

my previous phone was rooted and even the Presidental alert was directed to /dev/null. that was when we had an actual President. the current one, as it were, doesn't even deserve space on my /dev/null device.

I have an older android phone, didn't get any notice and I'm certainly not clicking on some link. you sure it wasn't a call center in india, trying to pose as the IRS or something? ;)

how can they 'order' you via a phone? that's hillarious!

my previous phone was rooted and even the Presidental alert was directed to /dev/null. that was when we had an actual President. the current one, as it were, doesn't even deserve space on my /dev/null device.
Emergency alerts like this show up markedly different from other notices. It won’t look like a text message or email for example.

well, some phone users keep their info anonymous. I never attached my name to the data plan I have, I never 'registered' anything and so there's no legal mapping of {phone, real_user} that I am aware of. certainly nothing legally binding.

which is why I'm puzzed at an 'ok' click that was asked for or required.

• Disagree
Reactions: Stickboy46
email:
Santa Clara County Health Shelter in Place Order

This is an important message from Alert SCC

Please click here to acknowledge receipt of this message

The Health Officer of Santa Clara County has issued a shelter-in-place order, effective 12:01 a.m. Tuesday, March 17, 2020, to help prevent the spread of COVID-19. For more information on the order, including exceptions for essential activities and FAQs, visit www.sccphd.org/cv19

AlertSCC is a powerful mass notification system that will be used to send emergency information and instructions to anyone who lives or works in Santa Clara County. AlertSCC will send messages to phone numbers included in the emergency 911 and 411 directory listings.

B36E75EC-6CF8-4901-A90F-A513D598F87B.jpeg

yeah, that's just a mass broadcast with an embedded link.

there is near zero chance that a legally (IANAL) binding mapping of email addys to real persons exists. and that url does not (seem) to have any UUIDs (unique id's).

personally, I would never click on a link that came from a mass broadcast, but I take phone/network/system security pretty seriously.

• Disagree
Reactions: Stickboy46
Obviously now there is genuine impact.
Another thing to consider as life returns to normal is people will use all this as an excuse legitimate or not for a long time.
After 9/11 a mortgage broker used that as an excuse for our mortgage paperwork not being ready which was going to leave us homeless since we had little planned overlap.
Later found out the guy got fired because all his clients were having such major issues. Literally the day before closing he called to delay us a week and a half. The good folks we were buying from let us move in before closing.