Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SoCal to Vegas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, there are many superchargers along the way. Without looking at the map I can think of: Hesperia, a couple in Barstow, Yermo, Baker, Primm.

It's fairly easy to see them on the map. Just tap the map and make sure to hit the lightning bolt icon ⚡. Also, if you simply put your destination into the navigation, it will route you to any charging stops you need.

Reactions: Lucas007
trips like this are pretty routine in the World of Tesla.

You start out with a 100% charge. Enter your destination and the computer will display where you should stop and for how long. It will show you how many stalls are open and what services are nearby.

Computer will have you coming in when the charge gets low (Faster charging at this level). It will pre condition your battery near the charger and allow for the fastest fill possible. When you have enough charge to reach your next stop you will be notified. Finish what you are doing and be on your way.

As you drive, your computer will constantly be rechecking the plan. If you are getting good mileage, it may extend your proposed stop to the next charger. If you are experiencing headwinds, driving faster, or for any reason exceeding your preset margin of error, it will direct you to pull in earlier.

Computer will calculate how much charge you will have left at your final destination, as you may wish to have "more in the tank" to drive around at your end point.

All in all, it provides the best driving and charging experience available anywhere else in the EV charging Universe.

Enjoy your trip :)

Reactions: Johnny Vector
The only thing you have to be aware of is that there is a gate at the SC at Vegas by the high roller. The code to get into the gate is on your Tesla supercharger display page. I remember last time I charge there, I was near the gate. And I don't remember how many times I have to tell the person to look at their screen for the code when I saw a Tesla stuck there in the front of the gate.

trips like this are pretty routine in the World of Tesla.

You start out with a 100% charge. Enter your destination and the computer will display where you should stop and for how long. It will show you how many stalls are open and what services are nearby.

Computer will have you coming in when the charge gets low (Faster charging at this level). It will pre condition your battery near the charger and allow for the fastest fill possible. When you have enough charge to reach your next stop you will be notified. Finish what you are doing and be on your way.

As you drive, your computer will constantly be rechecking the plan. If you are getting good mileage, it may extend your proposed stop to the next charger. If you are experiencing headwinds, driving faster, or for any reason exceeding your preset margin of error, it will direct you to pull in earlier.

Computer will calculate how much charge you will have left at your final destination, as you may wish to have "more in the tank" to drive around at your end point.

All in all, it provides the best driving and charging experience available anywhere else in the EV charging Universe.

Enjoy your trip :)
Also, don't bother charging to 100% for a trip like this. You're going to have to stop anyway, and the net difference in total trip time between starting at 100% and starting at 90% is a couple minutes at most. Save the 100% charges for when you're in a place with a long distance between charge stations (or if you're towing or carrying bikes on your roof or something like that, where you expect to use 80 or 90% of a full charge to get to the first available charger).

I like to stop at EddieWorld (Yermo) on the way out to Vegas because that store makes me happy. The restrooms are clean and you can stock up on the road trip goodies like drinks and snacks, even grab a quick lunch there. On the way back I like to stop at Barstow, since it's closer to home, it's getting darker, and there are a bunch of places to eat nearby. Sometimes we stop at In N Out to get food, then sit at the charger to eat. We stay at the Palazzo and have had somewhat good luck getting a spot at the Chargepoint chargers underneath it, which are free to use. If they're busy, the supercharger at the high roller next door works great, with the aforementioned code you find on the screen to get past the gate.

I'll stop in Baker to charge if we're making a detour to Pahrump for some fireworks. That's probably a good conversation for a different thread, though I feel so much like Han Solo when I put the goodies in that underneath storage in the trunk, as if we're about to make the Kessel Run in 12 parsecs.

Have you ever looked at the usage graphs? Set a destination and then look at the projected usage graph. It absolutely takes into account elevation or that graph would simply be a straight line. Instead, you'll see steps on the graph to account for times when you're going uphill and down hill.
And yet it is woefully inaccurate.....It isn't clear they're using anything but a very basic assumption...the result is it just isn't very accurate...might be slightly better than before (which wasn't very good).

The only time I’ve gotten burned badly by the assumptions on this run, wind that was absolutely killing me on one trip back. My issue was my fault. It told me to stop at Baker, but I like EddieWold for the above stated reasons. But the wind was absolutely killing me and i had to slow down, turn off AC and draft behind trucks. If memory serves and this god awful trip, i made it to Yermo at 7%. Nice thing was it filled up pretty quick, since no one was at the SC there.

How bad was the wind? It was easily at least 35mph, rated. It wasn’t gusts, it was constant

Reactions: bpon89
Having done the San Diego to St George Trek (so through Vegas) multiple times since getting my car in November 2021, the built in Nav is pretty darn accurate. I average 80-85mph too.

Hopefully the Primm Supercharger upgrades finish soon. On the way back from Vegas the traffic can unpredictably get so bad you may be forced to stop at Primm.

I concur, wind is the one that throws it off a bunch. Not super bad on this route but experienced it last year on a one of my San Diego to Seattle trips (back from Seattle). The wind was so strong at a rest stop in Northern California it was like walking through waist deep mud. I was probably averaging close to 180miles for an 80% charge (I had a roof box and probably close to 300lbs of gear and dogs) until I got to Central California. Brutal

Reactions: alexcue