Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Social Chat - Short Term TSLA Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm stoked, twtr just bombed after hours. Amazon bombed after earnings. Netflix is selling more debt and i don't see many people wanting to touch that- so where will all that money go? I'd imagine the "high flying portfolio" of all the tech stocks will move in sympathy to twtr, but then that money flowing out of twitter has to find a home somewhere else, and if Tesla has good earnings as they have telegraphed, then that money is coming here. ]

thanks ken. i went ahead and bought that same option (why not have some solidarity!)

out of curiousity, what time did you execute the trade? i was able to pick mine up a little bit cheaper than yours (mine executed at $25.34), so i'm assuming you didn't do it early in the morning slump?

anyways, best of luck to us both ;)

good deal surf; yeah I was a little later getting there after (I was busy with solar stocks at the time); TSLA had recovered some- glad to see you hit closer to the bottom nice going. It'll be a long bumpy ride no doubt- good luck to you as well!

I really think it's a matter of time until Tesla is added to S&P 500. Stocks in the S&P 500 do not have short interests approaching 40% of float. Think that will force a move down to less than 20% of float short.

The million dollar question, is when will Tesla be added. Believe the only test that Tesla does not yet pass is the GAAP profitable for prior 4 quarters test. Think in 2014 as international deliveries make up a larger percentage of sales, and Tesla financing program makes up a smaller percentage, that GAAP profitable throughout 2014 is a strong possibility.

If S&P 500 uses Tesla's non-GAAP numbers for the profitability test, then addition could be as soon as March!

If pre market is any indication of how the day is going to go, longs could have a very good day.

ytyhy7e3.jpg

I sold some weekly 185's yesterday for .60, then bought them back for 0.25 this morning, and a few minutes later sold them back for 0.42.

Anybody else here do things like this? It is very easy to make money this way when you are the seller, because the time premium decay is on your side. It is a lot harder when you are the buyer.

I always have my short positions covered, so I don't do naked options.

I sold some weekly 185's yesterday for .60, then bought them back for 0.25 this morning, and a few minutes later sold them back for 0.42.

Anybody else here do things like this? It is very easy to make money this way when you are the seller, because the time premium decay is on your side. It is a lot harder when you are the buyer.

I've considered it, but I don't quite have your discipline and skill. Nice to watch you work, though. :)

I have started doing this on days 'off' from work when I can keep a close eye on price movements. Did it with 180s this week. In and out 2x. Nothing today. Just finishing uip at work so may look at the situation now.

I also sold some $185's in a different account for 0.78 this morning.

It is easy to scalp pennies on Th/Fr right before expiration: there is always someone willing to take a flyer to hit it big.

This strategy is picking up nickles in front of a steam roller, but I think that in the long run you will definitely come out ahead, even if you end up losing a 5 bagger every now and then.

I'd like to learn how to do this. It's really hard for me to take a bear position against tesla even for the short term. I sold my 180's I purchased last week for a 20% loss. I will make money on my 177.50's but the options 185 and above will likely expire worthless unless we get a nice bull run this afternoon. Overall a negative realized week.

How is your position covered when you sell it? Thru actual stock holdings?