Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Social Chat - Short Term TSLA Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know what you mean, only to me it would feel like going to the ATM with someone else's card. I can assure you I would feel the thrill every single time :).
I can detect thief's gene streak here. :wink: If you consider the money stolen, then there is a thrill, because there is a downside risk in stealing.

Great fishing metaphor, it seems that there are many hidden talents on TMC threads:cool:

I can detect thief's gene streak here. :wink: If you consider the money stolen, then there is a thrill, because there is a downside risk in stealing.

Yeah, but stealing from the shorts can't be wrong, right?

Right?

- - - Updated - - -

So if aapl is up 40 points then that means tsla will go up 40 points too right? Please?

It certainly would, if only Apple would put some of that cash they're using to buy back their shares into the Tesla GF...

But I'm betting it will, regardless. Who knows, maybe even this quarter!

I was trying to think of a way to work "The Perfect Storm" into FamilialRhino's analogy, but I ultimately felt it would only take away from the succinctness.

However, I sometimes go fishing when I shouldn't, fill the hold and stay out well into the night hoping to catch more. I then make wagers with myself on the odds of sinking as the water swirls around my ankles.

...It's not a particularly good strategy.

Wow, the shorts are really getting desperate.

This fresh Seeking Alpha gem of an article brings up all of the same tired "arguments": Model S demand is peaking in Tesla's existing markets so it constantly needs to open new ones (China), how high can the stock go, Tesla has no earnings, etc.

But this author, who discloses he is short TSLA, really comes up with a winner: Tesla is a complacent company led by a angry and paranoid Elon Musk, who lashes out at critics such as the innocent Lemon Law guy, and apparently keeps an enemies list, just like Nixon (his comparison.)

But this author, who discloses he is short TSLA, really comes up with a winner: Tesla is a complacent company led by a angry and paranoid Elon Musk, who lashes out at critics such as the innocent Lemon Law guy, and apparently keeps an enemies list, just like Nixon (his comparison.)

ROFL!

Angry? Paranoid? "Lashes out"? I think that describes the late Steve Jobs, not Elon Musk. The author must be confused.

Seems like some weird conflation to me…

This fresh Seeking Alpha gem of an article brings up all of the same tired "arguments": Model S demand is peaking in Tesla's existing markets so it constantly needs to open new ones (China), how high can the stock go, Tesla has no earnings, etc.

Because I liked your analogy so much, this guy would be bottom trawling in that part of the ocean that has no oxygen?

My comment to that Seeking Alpha article is currently the last one of 204. Since you may not otherwise get to it, here is a copy:

Without getting into counterarguments for all of the oft-repeated FUD presented by the short selling author, I'll simply note that a company that does not advertise relishes every bit of publicity. If Musk gets in the news for taking on a liar or a fool, it is an eventual benefit.

I retired as the host of a financial TV news program in 2003. Until late January of 2013 I had never heard of Tesla Motors, the Model S or Elon Musk. When provided with a tip by a former guest on my program, I did thorough research. I was especially interested in the manner in which FUD was being spread. I bought a significant number of shares at less than $38 each. A few weeks later the Broder affair took the stock down a bit. It then moved up when the company was able to prove what Broder had done with the car. The stock has generally been on a tear ever since, although not without hiccups. For the larger corrections I had written covered calls, resulting in cash I was able to keep.

Now it's over a year since I learned of Tesla Motors, and still the majority of people that I run into here in Chicagoland are either unaware or vaguely aware of the company and its cars. Sure, those who've been following financial news in recent months have heard of it, but most people do not follow the financial news. An intelligent electrical contractor did work in my home last week. I asked him if he were aware of Tesla. "Sure", he replied, "Nikola Tesla was a great electrical engineer." But he knew nothing about Tesla Motors or the Model S.

In the US the Model S is essentially selling on word of mouth that begins in California. Once production ramps up sufficiently, the company will advertise. Then you can forget any talk about orders plateauing.

Tesla Motors is disrupting established oil and automobile industries as it leads an electric car revolution that its competitors are reluctant to follow. Don't be surprised if in a few years it becomes the world's largest and most profitable car manufacturer and battery producer. Investors today are paying for only a small part of that potential, and wisely are not evaluating its business by the metrics meant for ICE-age automakers.

Curt,
Your reply is spot on, especially when you address the demand-in-US issue and point out the ability for Tesla to advertise someday when the company is capable of meeting demand. I laughed out loud when I read the phrase 'ICE-age automakers'.

With Supercharger networks popping up in North America, Europe, and China, Tesla is going to be so far ahead of the competition in a few years that ICE-age automakers will experience serious difficulty catching up when they finally realize that consumers are shifting to electric vehicles. If Tesla builds Model E in China, avoids the duties, enjoys subsidies, has an established charging network in place, and can avoid the one-in-a-hundred automobile lottery, Model E will sell crazy well in China, I believe.

Last edited:
My comment to that Seeking Alpha article is currently the last one of 204. Since you may not otherwise get to it, here is a copy:

Without getting into counterarguments for all of the oft-repeated FUD presented by the short selling author, I'll simply note that a company that does not advertise relishes every bit of publicity. If Musk gets in the news for taking on a liar or a fool, it is an eventual benefit.

I retired as the host of a financial TV news program in 2003. Until late January of 2013 I had never heard of Tesla Motors, the Model S or Elon Musk. When provided with a tip by a former guest on my program, I did thorough research. I was especially interested in the manner in which FUD was being spread. I bought a significant number of shares at less than $38 each. A few weeks later the Broder affair took the stock down a bit. It then moved up when the company was able to prove what Broder had done with the car. The stock has generally been on a tear ever since, although not without hiccups. For the larger corrections I had written covered calls, resulting in cash I was able to keep.

Now it's over a year since I learned of Tesla Motors, and still the majority of people that I run into here in Chicagoland are either unaware or vaguely aware of the company and its cars. Sure, those who've been following financial news in recent months have heard of it, but most people do not follow the financial news. An intelligent electrical contractor did work in my home last week. I asked him if he were aware of Tesla. "Sure", he replied, "Nikola Tesla was a great electrical engineer." But he knew nothing about Tesla Motors or the Model S.

In the US the Model S is essentially selling on word of mouth that begins in California. Once production ramps up sufficiently, the company will advertise. Then you can forget any talk about orders plateauing.

Tesla Motors is disrupting established oil and automobile industries as it leads an electric car revolution that its competitors are reluctant to follow. Don't be surprised if in a few years it becomes the world's largest and most profitable car manufacturer and battery producer. Investors today are paying for only a small part of that potential, and wisely are not evaluating its business by the metrics meant for ICE-age automakers.

I have a lot of respect for the substance, but especially the tone of your responses to these SA articles. In the face of brazenly dishonest arguments, I confess my first instinct is to respond with sarcasm. Your way is much better, because it makes it easy for bystanders to distinguish between the dishonest party and the balanced, informed one.

Well lots of good info out of China and FTC....Bought a couple 'lottery tickets', April 26 215 calls for 40 cents in hopes that we might get some digestion of this week's news and a small 'pop' tomorrow.

I did the same. I will be interested if the Shanghai plate $48 million incentive will move the price. It's an interesting pilot that, if replicated in other major cities or picked up nationally would be tremendous, an endorsement of Tesla by the powers that be.

Well lots of good info out of China and FTC....Bought a couple 'lottery tickets', April 26 215 calls for 40 cents in hopes that we might get some digestion of this week's news and a small 'pop' tomorrow.

I hope we do see a pop due to this news. But it usually takes a couple of days or a weekend for the mainstream to pick up on this news and report it widely. So we might see the benefits of this news next week.

Just announced:

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1318605/000119312514157075/d710266ddef14a.htm
Notice is hereby given that the 2014 Annual Meeting of Stockholders (the “2014 Annual Meeting”) of Tesla Motors, Inc., a Delaware corporation, will be held on Tuesday, June 3, 2014, at 11:00 a.m., Pacific Time, at the Computer History Museum located at 1401 N. Shoreline Blvd., Mountain View, CA 94043

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1408356/000119312514153537/d713417ddefa14a.htm
The Annual Meeting of Stockholders (the “Annual Meeting”) of SolarCity Corporation, a Delaware corporation, will be held on Wednesday, June 4, 2014, at 1:00 p.m. Pacific Daylight Time, at the Crowne Plaza Hotel, located at 1221 Chess Drive, Foster City, California 94404