TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Software block for dumb mistake?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by ThosEM, May 31, 2015.

1. ThosEM

ThosEM Space Weatherman

Dec 13, 2013
    Annapolis, MD
    Did a couple hundred km of driving around NoVA wineries yesterday. Stopped in Bethesda to catch a charge and dinner, and set the limit to 100% to be sure it made full use of the time while eating. When I got home I neglected to set the limit back to 90% for a daily charge. So of course it charge to 100%. I woke up about 4am and remembered that I'd forgotten to set it back. So I got up and drove it 8 km and got it down to 98% and went back to bed.

So why not a software feature that would automatically catch this mistake when doing a scheduled charge, and override the limit, setting it to 90%? I can't think of any scenario in which a scheduled charge should go to 100%, possible exception of a scheduled charge that is targeting reaching 100% at a specified departure time. But we don't have that feature yet.

Anyone else think this this makes sense as a feature request?
  2. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

Jun 5, 2013
    Austin, TX
    if you keep it at 100% for a few days the car gives a message alerting you to that and asking if you want to set it back down. I think it's 3 days. I would not want it to automatically reduce the charge limit without asking me.
  3. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Jan 18, 2014
    This happened to me once when I charged to 100% in the afternoon before a long trip, and then my plans changed to leave the next day. I didn't want to leave my car at 100% overnight, so I turned the heater on max, and the heated seats and lights to burn off power on the battery. I left it like that for a few hours (making sure it didn't turn off every 30 minutes), and I think I drained about 3% or so. Which lead to this interesting anomaly when I left the following morning:

IMG_3335 (Medium).JPG