Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software block for dumb mistake?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ThosEM

Space Weatherman
Dec 13, 2013
Annapolis, MD
Did a couple hundred km of driving around NoVA wineries yesterday. Stopped in Bethesda to catch a charge and dinner, and set the limit to 100% to be sure it made full use of the time while eating. When I got home I neglected to set the limit back to 90% for a daily charge. So of course it charge to 100%. I woke up about 4am and remembered that I'd forgotten to set it back. So I got up and drove it 8 km and got it down to 98% and went back to bed.

So why not a software feature that would automatically catch this mistake when doing a scheduled charge, and override the limit, setting it to 90%? I can't think of any scenario in which a scheduled charge should go to 100%, possible exception of a scheduled charge that is targeting reaching 100% at a specified departure time. But we don't have that feature yet.

Anyone else think this this makes sense as a feature request?

if you keep it at 100% for a few days the car gives a message alerting you to that and asking if you want to set it back down. I think it's 3 days. I would not want it to automatically reduce the charge limit without asking me.

This happened to me once when I charged to 100% in the afternoon before a long trip, and then my plans changed to leave the next day. I didn't want to leave my car at 100% overnight, so I turned the heater on max, and the heated seats and lights to burn off power on the battery. I left it like that for a few hours (making sure it didn't turn off every 30 minutes), and I think I drained about 3% or so. Which lead to this interesting anomaly when I left the following morning:

IMG_3335 (Medium).JPG