Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software License Agreement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm trying to make sure there aren't any "click here to approve this 30 page legalese document" when I first boot up my Model X with terms I find objectionable. Waiting this long for a car, only to return it over a software licensing clause problem would be intolerable.

I've talked to Inside Sales, and they've showed me where to find the Purchase Agreement. They're digging for the EULA, but haven't produced it yet.

The purchase agreement is reasonable, clearly written, and doesn't even include an arbitration clause. Shockingly straightforward, and I have no issues with it.

However, nobody sells software any more. They license it. I've heard references before, for example, to a license clause banning reverse engineering. I'd like to know exactly what I have to agree to before I plunk down $100k+ for a new car. I'm hoping inside sales will come through eventually with the EULA so I can review it. Just in case they don't: Do you own a model S? Did you have to agree to some sort of software license agreement to use your car? Did you keep a copy of it? Does it show up in your my.teslamotors.com view? I'd like to review the agreement, even if it's the agreement for the model S. If you're not comfortable publicly posting it, please private message me with the agreement. Thanks.

Thanks for pointing out that someone was quoting the MVPA, rosinchard. That's one of the threads I had in mind when wanting to review agreements in advance of placing a firm order.

I was able to see the current MVPA I'll have to agree to. Yours may differ depending on jurisdiction, but here's the one that pops up when I click the "Order" button:

https://my.teslamotors.com/order/download-order-agreement?country=US

The good news is: there's no reverse engineering clause in that agreement.

Interesting. I'm pretty sure they wont be very happy if you do try reverse engineering.

Perhaps they would get you via the warranty e.g. perhaps they would count it as 'abuse' or 'improper operation' and void your warranty. A Tesla without a warranty is not much use. Plugging in an ethernet cable to read the internal comms might count as installation of unauthorised accessories etc.

Also, re: the EULA, bear in mind that sometimes you see things like 'by opening this box you agree to the EULA' so there doesn't necessarily have to be an 'I Agree' button anywhere.

I think Autopilot has its own set of terms you have to agree to before activating it.

edit: Also re: the EULA: A lot of the Tesla software is running on Linux which is open-source GPL. Depending on how Tesla have implemented their software, I'm not sure whether they can have a EULA. (Briefly: if Tesla software is tightly integrated into the Linux kernel, they have modified the kernel and their software has to be GPL too, which means (among other things) no EULA can be layered on top. If their software simply runs on top of a vanilla kernel, they are free to use whatever license they like for their bits).

Last edited: