Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.24.1 12dd099

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t mind the new maps design. Has a more modern clean look to it, might be a small taste of some of the UI overalls to come in the near future with 9.0... Like other platforms, I’ve enjoyed the trend towards the flat minimalist interface.

I primarily use the drivers screen mapping interface for details, IE street turns/cross streets and keep the MCU zoomed out in trip mode for an overview of the current supercharge/trip leg. As others have noticed, new tiles tend to load a little slower which is conflicting with my understanding of vector based maps, which I thought were suppose to render more quickly.

• Informative
Reactions: MelaniainLA
I think the new maps color scheme is a mater of taste. I personally preferred the old ones but probably will eventually get used to the new style. In the early days of nav device and apps (like windows mobile/ce applications), some would let you choose the rendering style. This is likely not practical given the pre rendered mature.

I wonder how tesla created custom styles from google maps.

There’s a fairly simply Google Maps API for custom coloring almost every component of the data. I develop for web & mobile, and it’s fairly straightforward and we use them often. There’s actually a full site called Snazzy Maps dedicated to customizing Google Map data visualization - Snazzy Maps - Free Styles for Google Maps

Would be cool if Tesla allows multiple options based on user preference. If they’re pulling the maps live (rather than stored locally), I imagine it wouldn’t be too hard.

Also, I only use Night mode - I’ve always thought the daytime color scheme across the UI seems dated and hard to decipher. If you haven’t tried setting your UI to Night mode only (Settings > Displays), give it a try for a few days and see what you think.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: TaoJones and PrGrPa
I get that Tesla has its own maps and apps. But I would really like to see some aspects of Apple CarPlay and Android Auto integrated with the screen. I really prefer CarPlay's iMessage/SMS capability to dictate and send a message out. I also am a fan or Apple Maps. I find its UI easier to follow. I like Waze's navigation capabilities (though lately Tesla Maps) usually takes most of the same routes. Waze is a little bit more aggressive but I normally don't like to save 5 minutes to take some crazy back roads.

But I would really like to see some aspects of Apple CarPlay and Android Auto integrated with the screen. I really prefer CarPlay's iMessage/SMS capability to dictate and send a message out.

So there are two "hacks" for this feature of CarPlay: get an Apple Watch and dictate into it OR if you have one of the later-model iPhones (7 and up) and activate Hey Siri mode, you can just say "Hey Siri, send a message to FIRST NAME LASTNAME" and then dictate the message. It'll be read aloud for you over the car's speakers and you can tell it whether to send or not. Similarly, you can ask it "Hey Siri, read me my messages" and it'll read all unread text messages to you.

2018.24.1 12dd09 seems to have affected my EAP. I’ve not had ‘navigation needs service’ pop up again so figure the map data downloaded.

Called the assistance line yesterday. They saw nothing obviously wrong from the logs. Followed their instructions to power down. Restarted. No change. Expecting a call from service centre/support today.

Pesky. Having to drive with reduced driver assistance feels odd.

So there are two "hacks" for this feature of CarPlay: get an Apple Watch and dictate into it OR if you have one of the later-model iPhones (7 and up) and activate Hey Siri mode, you can just say "Hey Siri, send a message to FIRST NAME LASTNAME" and then dictate the message. It'll be read aloud for you over the car's speakers and you can tell it whether to send or not. Similarly, you can ask it "Hey Siri, read me my messages" and it'll read all unread text messages to you.

"Hey Siri" works on most iPhones that support Siri, when plugged into power. Starting with the 6S, "Hey Siri" works even if not plugged in.
If you use Siri for messages or mail, with car Bluetooth or other handsfree devices, it will read back what it "typed" for you.

• Love
Reactions: MelaniainLA
I dunno, now that 2 weeks have passed, I'm getting used to the look and feel of the new maps. It seems fine.

I just wish it weren't randomly slow as heck on MCU1. Seems like sometimes it gets bogged down fetching 1 tile somewhere it's previously zoomed, and when that happens it can be 20-30s before it bothers to draw any more tiles on the screen.

On the bright side, it seems like there's more offline caching of vector tiles. At least in my areas of day to day travel, it can more often draw a viable route in areas with no cell service.

After the update a good so many errors that My Car was Not Driving Anymore.

Attachments

• 15305522262934597977197808534350.jpg
    15305522262934597977197808534350.jpg
    475.1 KB · Views: 120
  • Informative
Reactions: PrGrPa
This map color change is terrible - did you send your observations to [email protected]?
First thing my wife said MYGOD THE MAP LOOK LIKE A BLACK AND WHITE TV WITH A SPRINKE OF COLORED DOT FOR POINTS OF INTEREST, TURN IT OFF!!!!
So now I use the satellite view which I hate!!!
I’d tell her to just deal with it. Don’t take that from her. Switch it back and tell her to take the bus. J/K

• Helpful
Reactions: Shock-On-T
I got this update yesterday and I found it has one new non-mentioned "feature" in Europe!

Till this update (I had 21.9 before) car drove at maximum 5km/h over the speed limit while on Autopilot. New update 24.1 raised this to 10km/h over the speed limit.

For me, this is significant update as with only 5km/h over the speed limit I was many times the slowest car on the road. 10km/h over the speed limit is kind of sweet spot for me. It is enough most of the time and it is not too much over the limit, so when there is lower speed limit car slows down just enough to avoid speed tickets (at least here).

• Informative
Reactions: croman
I got this update yesterday and I found it has one new non-mentioned "feature" in Europe!

Till this update (I had 21.9 before) car drove at maximum 5km/h over the speed limit while on Autopilot. New update 24.1 raised this to 10km/h over the speed limit.

For me, this is significant update as with only 5km/h over the speed limit I was many times the slowest car on the road. 10km/h over the speed limit is kind of sweet spot for me. It is enough most of the time and it is not too much over the limit, so when there is lower speed limit car slows down just enough to avoid speed tickets (at least here).

Is this on highways or surface streets?? can anyone in USA check this on surface streets??? Would be a game changer!!

• Disagree
Reactions: GayForEllon
It appears the update have different effects to different cars, I got the update a few days ago but only got a chance to take it out today for around 120 miles drive. The nav map is okay, I listen to it more than staring at it, though I like the old map better. The map refresh feels a lot slower when you are playing with the map but it seems to be okay while driving with it. What I don't get is the nag issue, I tried both hands at 10 and 2, both hands at 8 and 4, one hand at either 8 or 4, does not seem to matter as long as I have some weight on it, got the nag only twice. I understand it is a big issue for a lot of people out there but I just cannot reproduce it. One thing that I agree is the regen, it is not as strong as before and I had to hit the brakes more.