Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.24.1 12dd099

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As others have noticed, new tiles tend to load a little slower which is conflicting with my understanding of vector based maps, which I thought were suppose to render more quickly.

That’s because the new maps are still NOT the vector-based maps you’d get on a phone app or online desktop website, unlike what everybody else seems to think here.
The only thing vectorized about the new maps is that text that does not rotate with the rest of the map.

One thing that I agree is the regen, it is not as strong as before and I had to hit the brakes more.

I’m always skeptical of reports that claim regenerative braking was reduced in a firmware update, but after driving on this one for about a week, I have to agree that it has been modified.
Perhaps not peak regen power, but the taper curve is definitely weaker. I have had to hit the brake pedal in places I’ve never had to before, such as the hilly streets of San Francisco including the one that leads to my house.

That’s because the new maps are still NOT the vector-based maps you’d get on a phone app or online desktop website, unlike what everybody else seems to think here.
The only thing vectorized about the new maps is that text that does not rotate with the rest of the map.
Yes. I was excited when I got the update. did a zoom in and seemed much faster. Then I zoomed out and saw all the tiles :-(

Vector maps can still be tiles. It just means that either the vector data is downloaded tile-by-tile or it is drawn tile-by-tile.

Vector means that instead of an image being downloaded and shown as-is, there are instructions being downloaded such as 'draw a line at these coordinates, with this length' and 'draw a circle at x,y with radius 15 with color grey' and 'draw text at this spot'. This goes on until the whole map is drawn. This can be quite slow depending on how quick the processor is at drawing shapes.

Reactions: chillaban
Vector maps can still be tiles. It just means that either the vector data is downloaded tile-by-tile or it is drawn tile-by-tile.

Vector means that instead of an image being downloaded and shown as-is, there are instructions being downloaded such as 'draw a line at these coordinates, with this length' and 'draw a circle at x,y with radius 15 with color grey' and 'draw text at this spot'. This goes on until the whole map is drawn. This can be quite slow depending on how quick the processor is at drawing shapes.

Exactly. And in fact having multiple overlapping "zoom level" equivalents for tiles is actually a valuable performance optimization for anemic hardware such as this thing. It seems like unfortunately Tesla has increased the size of the tile for these vector maps to around 8 tiles of old bitmap maps, which in turn results in MCU1 spending more time with its pants down if you unluckily pan to an area that it hasn't cached or prerendered yet.

If you want to find an Android tablet with Tegra 3 and a 1080p display and see how well Google Maps runs on it, I think that might refresh one's memory of the limitations Tesla's engineers are working with on MCU1. Anyone remember vectorized Apple Maps on the iPhone 3GS? That was a huge step down in performance.

EDIT: Here's the original google blog post announcing vector Google maps: Under the hood of Google Maps 5.0 for Android - Official Google Mobile Blog

They clearly talk about breaking up vector maps into tiles. At least based off how MCU1 generates traffic as you zoom in and zoom out, it's also suggestive that there's at least two if not more sets of vector tiles to cover different zoom levels (e.g. it's certainly not going to download indoor maps for every mall in the USA and choose not to render them just because you zoomed out to the USA level)

Last edited:
Just as Tesla subjects us all to "Death by Gray", iOS 12 is moving in the opposite direction:

apple-maps-old-new.jpg

Please excuse the rant.

I decided to avoid 24.1 by agreeing each morning to install it at the suggested 1:30 AM time and then cancelling the install when I'm done with the car for the day, thus avoiding dealing with an update nag screen every time I get into the car. Of course I forgot to cancel last night.

I love maps and tend to glance at the center screen often while driving, even though I know exactly where I am. This morning I hated what I saw. To my imperfect eyes it was pretty much a blank gray field with green lines for the roads big enough to show traffic at whatever scale I had set. The smaller country roads where I live are pretty much imperceptible unless I look hard at the screen, taking my eyes off the road while driving (and I don't mean on AP) for a moment longer than before. Thus safety is reduced for the sake of some hopefully transitory modern flat design fashion. And if you point out that this just means I should keep my eyes on the road since I usually know where I am when I look at the map, my reply is that if the update does not reduce safety then it takes away what was for me a favorite feature of the car: a really big nice usable map. So either the safety or features of what has been and mostly remains a great car are reduced at the margin. They should at least have an 'accessibility' setting (as in an iPhone) that provides a high-contrast view to those who could benefit from it.

And of course this kind of reduction is not unique to 24.1. Because on AP I hold the wheel off center with one hand, I satisfy the new nag regime and only saw one nag in well over 100 miles on the expressway yesterday. But to do this I need to expend a little conscious effort to keep torquing the wheel one way or the other, which is a little unnatural and therefore a little distracting: another (admittedly slight) loss of safety at the margin.

The point is that when people ask me about my Model S I still give them a sales pitch since I love the car, but I no longer mention the over the air updates. In fact I lost faith in updates a while ago and now actually dread the notifications. Often some little feature is added while others are broken (usually something having to do with audio) or gratuitously altered. In fact the last two updates that really thrilled me were 1) the original autopilot release for AP1 and 2) the addition of path lines for the backup camera (I wonder how many here remember that one). Yes, AP1 is now less subject to truck lust, but AP feature development that was at least tacitly promised has never occurred. And yes, the feds would probably close down AP altogether but for the imposition of continuous nags, but that doesn't make getting a message that an update is ready to install into a positive experience.

End of rant.

Agreed and agreed. I remember the forum geniuses who professed that we’d never have back up lines due to... reasons.

Two steps forward and one step back is how I view updates now. Actually I view them in pairs - the exciting (or underwhelming relative to the pre-release hype proffered by senior management) release, and then the release to fix what the first release broke.

However, the fact that features make it through the process that either lessen safety (eyes off the road more) or that wouldn’t pass a freshman-level UI/UX test is probably the most alarming.

The alternatives include even worse options. Things need to be fixed now, and there is a 2-week sprint cycle, which is very good. Waiting for quarterly releases, for example, would be Bad for multiple reasons.

Like it or not, we’re in a perpetual beta cycle. It seems to be the price of being on the bleeding edge. I don’t know that any of us would want to drive a GM product with a 37mph limit.

So we live with things like not being able to see the nag IC flashes because the top of the steering wheel blocks the top of the IC. “So raise the wheel. And hold the wheel *this* way.” Yeah, ok. How about *optimal* design in the first place instead of workarounds?

It is a bit incongruous to have some of the absolute best hardware and car design in the history of the world and to have such occasional clusterfooks on the software side.

Eh. If it was easy, everybody’d be doing it, instead of just Waymo, Nissan, GM, Subaru, BMW, the VW Group, Ford, and (insert list here).

And so it goes. I would prefer that Tesla remain the best rather than the least worst.

Yeah it always used to be +5mph or +10km/h, which lead to some people (joking? serious? I could never tell..) suggesting to forcibly run in km/h units just so that you can drive 1.2mph faster on restricted roads.

No, here in Europe it was +5km/h and in US +5mph.

Just do a simple test. Drive with some speed (outside urban area) on a regular road with Autopilot (not highway/motorway/interstate). Then when you will enter speed limited zone with a significantly lower limit than your speed, Autopilot will slow down automatically (if it has in the maps). Prior this update it was 55km/h on 50km/h speed limit, 75km/h on 70km/h speed limit etc. With this update it is 60km/h on 50km/h speed limit, 80km/h on 70km/h speed limit etc.

You cannot rely on what you remember you had if this update brought you new maps. These new maps have different speed limits on many spots (they are usually better than older maps). This is why you have to do it as I wrote above to really see how it works and not be fooled by changes in maps.

BTW, these cars behave differently in different regions. I know about several differences in US vs. EU (for example Summon, lane change on Autopilot), or even in different countries in EU (Czech vs. Germany and what happen if you speed up over 150km/h while on Autopilot). I found them first hand as I have driven Teslas with AP1 and AP2 on both sides of Atlantic and I am experimenting quite a lot ;)

• Disagree
Reactions: StefanSarzio
This update is good. Very impressive on the twisty roads.... through intersections.... I went over a blind intersection hill in Austin where in the past if the car dove left or right would be a very bad thing, and I'm blown away by the ability to stay centered. Can't wait for 9.0.

Autopilot is freaking awesome. Other cars and their driver assist functions are like 1/5 as functional and available at best. Supercruise comes to mind.

Good times.

This update is good. Very impressive on the twisty roads.... through intersections.... I went over a blind intersection hill in Austin where in the past if the car dove left or right would be a very bad thing, and I'm blown away by the ability to stay centered. Can't wait for 9.0.

Autopilot is freaking awesome. Other cars and their driver assist functions are like 1/5 as functional and available at best. Supercruise comes to mind.

Good times.
Butter shrimp, is that improvement for real? If so I am going to be doing some more aggressive testing... just kind of lost heart after the whole 21.9 nag thing.

Reactions: MIT_S60