Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update Advanced does nothing, right?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking at notateslaapp, that version is 16% of the fleet, so lots of people are still running it.

Correct, advanced updates doesn't seem to do much.

There have been much longer gaps between updates.

One of my cars still has it, one updated yesterday.
That's more what I'm talking about, I've never seem to get updates faster regardless of the toggle, regardless of my FSD subscription.

Yeah I get that a lot of people are on 3.25. would be interested in what the common denominator is for us, all FSD sub/FSD active cars?

That's more what I'm talking about, I've never seem to get updates faster regardless of the toggle, regardless of my FSD subscription.

Yeah I get that a lot of people are on 3.25. would be interested in what the common denominator is for us, all FSD sub/FSD active cars?

If you have an FSD subscription, that often puts you in what has been one of the two basic branches over the last few tears. There's been the FSD branch and the non-FSD branch (this is generalization, there have been lots of nuances).
The non-FSD branch tends to get many new features first. The FSD branch have new features have lagged until the branches periodically merge.
But the FSD branch has FSD, nothing to sneeze at.

The Advanced option doesn't seem to do anything.

It also makes a difference if your ca has the ultrasonic sensors or not. It can also make a difference if your car doesn't have HW3 or HW4.

If you rent FSD, that just gets confusing.

But right now, you are where you are expected to be.

2024.3.25 is a branch that includes FSD and supports most of the vehicles. It's a merged branch. There is a branch (2024.20.1) for vehicles outside of the US and Cybertruck that doesn't support FSD but has some newer features in it.

Lol, we are all in agreement this does absolutely nothing right?

42 days without an update... Still on 2024.3.25 with active FSD sub.

If you have FSD, expect to get like 1/2 of the number of updates of someone who doesnt ( 1/2 of the number of updates, or fewer).

But yes, I dont see where anyone has proven that the advanced selection does anything, with or without FSD. Just expect to have fewer updates with FSD.

If you have FSD, expect to get like 1/2 of the number of updates of someone who doesnt ( 1/2 of the number of updates, or fewer).

But yes, I dont see where anyone has proven that the advanced selection does anything, with or without FSD. Just expect to have fewer updates with FSD.
I think a poll should be run. Do you have set to Standard or Advanced and which relevant updates did you get? x.3.x vs x.8.x, or probably more options in the x.14.x branch.

Just based on the three, now four, Teslas I have connections to (my MYP, my sister's two MYLR and my other sister's MYLR), it's less about getting more or less updates, but the type of updates. I mentioned this before, but I view them as having a "main" and "experimental" set of branches, at least for non-FSD.

Experimental gets some features that haven't been fleshed out or potentially not sure they want to even keep. Standard get those same features a little later after they've been "fixed" and made less buggy.

I have mine set to Advanced and I was on the x.8.x branch for a while, while the other three (from both of my sisters) are set to standard and had x.2.x or x.3.x. I've encountered some features and even some bugs that their MYLRs didn't have until later. Additionally, for most of last year, my MYP has been leapfrogging minor updates with the second MYLR (the first is across the country, so I don't pay that much attention to it, but I did get occasional updates about it). And now, after most current owners have gotten the FSD trial (via x.2.x/x.3.x or x.14.x), we're back to leapfrogging minor updates again. I went from x.8.9 to x.14.6 and now to x.20.1, while that second MYLR went from x.3.x, I forget the exact one, to x.14.8 just before I got x.20.1 (yesterday).

My guess is that most folks on Advanced would be on the same path I was while those on Standard would be on the same path my sisters got.

I do have FSD on my 2023 MS LR. I was also on 2024.3.25 for 42 days until I received 2024.14.9 yesterday. From all I can tell it is the same FSD 12.3.6 version. I did also get a new NAV update which started to download shortly after the 2024.14.9 update finished.

I gave up many years ago trying to figure out priorities. Also 42 days is not an excessively long time on an update for me. I'm on the 11th version for my current MS LR since taking delivery of it in late Dec 2023. Average days on a given version is 16 day, but that ranges from a min of 1 day to a max of 75 days.

Your mileage may vary.

I think a poll should be run. Do you have set to Standard or Advanced and which relevant updates did you get? x.3.x vs x.8.x, or probably more options in the x.14.x branch.

Just based on the three, now four, Teslas I have connections to (my MYP, my sister's two MYLR and my other sister's MYLR), it's less about getting more or less updates, but the type of updates. I mentioned this before, but I view them as having a "main" and "experimental" set of branches, at least for non-FSD.

Experimental gets some features that haven't been fleshed out or potentially not sure they want to even keep. Standard get those same features a little later after they've been "fixed" and made less buggy.

I have mine set to Advanced and I was on the x.8.x branch for a while, while the other three (from both of my sisters) are set to standard and had x.2.x or x.3.x. I've encountered some features and even some bugs that their MYLRs didn't have until later. Additionally, for most of last year, my MYP has been leapfrogging minor updates with the second MYLR (the first is across the country, so I don't pay that much attention to it, but I did get occasional updates about it). And now, after most current owners have gotten the FSD trial (via x.2.x/x.3.x or x.14.x), we're back to leapfrogging minor updates again. I went from x.8.9 to x.14.6 and now to x.20.1, while that second MYLR went from x.3.x, I forget the exact one, to x.14.8 just before I got x.20.1 (yesterday).

My guess is that most folks on Advanced would be on the same path I was while those on Standard would be on the same path my sisters got.
Not really a need for a poll. There's hard facts out there. Multiple sites are tracking the releases. It's a pretty simple trail to follow when you know the details of the car and is FSD purchased.

For example, TeslaScope shows the versions that moved to the current version
1718229225015.png

And NotATeslaApp gives indications on which features are applicable in which vehicles.

1718229354876.png

That's why when we ask for your current version, it gives a lot of information.

The version that your vehicle is offered seems to be currently based on USS sensors and HW version. In the past, FSD subscription made a big difference.

Look the sites and a lot of details on your current and next version can be determined. "Advanced Software" mode isn't listed as an indicator.

And yes, some people have switched it and it has made a difference. But then again these people were already in line for the update and it was simply a matter of time before they got it.

Not really a need for a poll. There's hard facts out there. Multiple sites are tracking the releases. It's a pretty simple trail to follow when you know the details of the car and is FSD purchased.

For example, TeslaScope shows the versions that moved to the current version
View attachment 1055841

And NotATeslaApp gives indications on which features are applicable in which vehicles.

View attachment 1055849

That's why when we ask for your current version, it gives a lot of information.

The version that your vehicle is offered seems to be currently based on USS sensors and HW version. In the past, FSD subscription made a big difference.

Look the sites and a lot of details on your current and next version can be determined. "Advanced Software" mode isn't listed as an indicator.

And yes, some people have switched it and it has made a difference. But then again these people were already in line for the update and it was simply a matter of time before they got it.

Sure, that data is great for knowing about some of the folks getting it and which versions they came from... but it doesn't actually disprove (or prove) what I said. Because it make no reference to who has which setting and if/when they changed it.

So it's not that simple, at least in regards to the question of standard vs advance.

Just as you said that they could be already moving to a certain version immediately after a change, maybe the people "switching paths" actually made the change just in time to take effect.

I do have FSD on my 2023 MS LR. I was also on 2024.3.25 for 42 days until I received 2024.14.9 yesterday. From all I can tell it is the same FSD 12.3.6 version. I did also get a new NAV update which started to download shortly after the 2024.14.9 update finished.

I gave up many years ago trying to figure out priorities. Also 42 days is not an excessively long time on an update for me. I'm on the 11th version for my current MS LR since taking delivery of it in late Dec 2023. Average days on a given version is 16 day, but that ranges from a min of 1 day to a max of 75 days.

Your mileage may vary.
Also received the update yesterday from 3.25 on my 22 mslr fsd

Oops, too late to add to my previous post. But it is also possible that x.20.1 is a "convergence" update. In that, there's nothing in particular that needs an experimental branch (any new feature is "stable enough"), so everyone can get it. That might change with the next incremental.

Yesterday I got 2024.14.9 which still has FSD V12.3.6 with only minor fixes from 2024.14.5.

Car is a mid Dec 2022 production MYP in MYLR clothing. Yeah, no spoiler, 19" Gemini wheels, Model Y Long Range text on the ID screen, and otherwise a MYP guts including brakes and VIN#. I first got suspicious it had MYP guts when USAA called it a Performance when I told them the VIN# when insuring it. So late at night I tested and saw a 3.2 second and 3.4 second opposite direction 0-60 runs when the battery was down to about 50%. Timing via phone video camera recording my foot, screen, and a digital clock.

Sure, that data is great for knowing about some of the folks getting it and which versions they came from... but it doesn't actually disprove (or prove) what I said. Because it make no reference to who has which setting and if/when they changed it.

So it's not that simple, at least in regards to the question of standard vs advance.

Just as you said that they could be already moving to a certain version immediately after a change, maybe the people "switching paths" actually made the change just in time to take effect.

But it essentially does, because specific vehicles follow specific paths.
And over the years, people have asked the same question with the same outcome.

There are those that sometime want to stay behind and they choose not-Advanced and they get the updates ahead of those that choose Advanced.

It all comes to the random Tesla lottery of updates. Looking forward makes no sense, but looking at the past makes it obvious.
But setup a poll, How do you expect to process the data to make a determination?

Oops, too late to add to my previous post. But it is also possible that x.20.1 is a "convergence" update. In that, there's nothing in particular that needs an experimental branch (any new feature is "stable enough"), so everyone can get it. That might change with the next incremental.
I'll agree, but some vehicles are following some odd paths to get there. My Cybertruck got there first, but my FSD Model 3 or Model Y isn't there and the Model 3 just went to 2024.14.9, after the Cybertruck went to 2024.20.1

6 years and 2 weeks (315 weeks) of ownership
127 software updates
Average of 2.5 weeks between updates
Sometimes software updates happen on two days in a row; sometimes, there's a 1.5 month gap between updates

My vehicle received software 2019.16.2 on 2019-05-23 (upgraded from 2019.12.1.2). This was the first version that I had, which included the Standard/Advanced software update toggle. I've had mine set to Advanced since upgrading to that release.

Reactions: ewoodrick