Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software update [battery % SoC changed]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, just downloaded latest update,
Immediately prior to update, battery was at 49%, immediately after download it was at 51%, without charging.
Any ideas what this means? Has the available battery capacity been reduced, I.e. same amount of power representing higher percentage?

Hi, just downloaded latest update,
Immediately prior to update, battery was at 49%, immediately after download it was at 51%, without charging.
Any ideas what this means? Has the available battery capacity been reduced, I.e. same amount of power representing higher percentage?
Possibly a change in the algorithm which tries to predict how much charge/mileage you have remaining?

Upvote 0

It won't have anything to do with the software update (although not unheard of). The latest version has an update to range display but not to % that I have noticed.

The 49% and 51% is an estimate of usable battery capacity/SoC (state of charge) and that will vary up and down over time and temperature. Its most likely that the car just recalculated things as it regularly does and this occurred either side of the software update. It wouldn't be unusual for a car to lose or gain say 5% just sat there doing nothing because the car has had another guess at usable battery capacity. It is an educated guess, but a non exact science.

Third party monitoring services such as TeslaFi will show both rated and usable SoC and (estimated) range.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drew57 and Adopado
Upvote 0
It won't have anything to do with the software update (although not unheard of). The latest version has an update to range display but not to % that I have noticed.

The 49% and 51% is an estimate of usable battery capacity/SoC (state of charge) and that will vary up and down over time and temperature. Its most likely that the car just recalculated things as it regularly does and this occurred either side of the software update. It wouldn't be unusual for a car to lose or gain say 5% just sat there doing nothing because the car has had another guess at usable battery capacity. It is an educated guess, but a non exact science.

Third party monitoring services such as TeslaFi will show both rated and usable SoC and (estimated) range.
Thanks, it just seemed strange that it fluctuated when it did, never noticed it change before.

Reactions: MrBadger
Upvote 0