Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update Not Downloading

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just had this recently (2 days ago). I found a thread on another forum that helped out, here's what I did:
1) Power Off using touch screen and let it sit for 5 minutes.
2) After 5 minutes power back on using the brake, and then power cycle using brake and both thumb wheels.
3) Power cycle again using brake and both thumb wheels.

After I did this the car had reset the download and everything went smoothly. Hope this helps

Reactions: bcpm3p and NielsT
FIXED:
I just went through this. I entered the password for my home WiFi, to which it would not automatically connect, rather suddenly. It then showed the "waiting" symbol indefinitely, until it timed out. When I hit the WiFi again, it made me enter the password again, and cycled through this process.
When I took it in for service, it turned out that this was a known issue, and would not get fixed, because the WiFi firmware was broken (infinite loop: (0): need to update firmware to connect to WiFi; cannot connect to WiFi because the firmware needs to be updated; GOTO(0) ). The service station pushed the update directly, updated the firmware, which got the update to me, and I updated it as soon as I got home that evening.

This ALSO (finally) downloaded the Caraoke / Streaming Audio / new updates that everyone has been talking about.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
I just had this recently (2 days ago). I found a thread on another forum that helped out, here's what I did:
2) After 5 minutes power back on using the brake, and then power cycle using brake and both thumb wheels.

After I did this the car had reset the download and everything went smoothly. Hope this helps

Thank you! This did it for me. I was a bit doubtful about the second power cycle but sure enough, after the second one it started downloading like a charm!

• Love
Reactions: webby87

This worked for me. The car turned on by itself in less than 5 mins after step #1. I rebooted twice after that.

I just wanted to further reaffirm this - it also worked for me too: 2020.4.1 Download was stuck at a millimeter on progress bar and it said "connect to WiFi to download" even though car was connected. Followed the steps, the download reset and is currently progressing as I write this, Thank you

Just another data point here. I had this same issue since I took delivery of my car 8 weeks ago. The power cycling procedure above did not work for me (Not trying to sound unappreciative!) BUT a factory reset from the controls DID!

I think it’s under Controls > Settings > Service & Reset > Factory Reset >

I lost my stereo/seat memory settings etc. but once the reset was complete, my car started to download the update within 20 minutes.

How do you power off from the touch screen? Currently having this issue with the new update.

Open a ticket with Tesla on the app and put software update as the reason. Explain your download is frozen and when they get back to you they can resend the update over 4G. I had that done 2 updates ago and it worked. I could never get reseting the screen or car to work.

I tried this and it had no effect. The download is still stalled at 0% by "connect to wifi" even though wifi is connected and working fine. I'm on 2020.20.12 (trying to download 2020.20.13).

This procedure did the trick for me. I signed up here just to be able to write thanks for the tip. I unplugged both USB Ports before going through the steps. Unsure whether this is significant or not.