TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Software Update Questions

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by 2Cybers, Aug 19, 2015.

1. 2Cybers

2Cybers Member

Up until now, I have been at home, with WiFi, whenever a software update was pushed by Tesla. But I expect to have my Model S in a parking lot, possibly connected to NEMA 14-50, for a future update - no WiFi connection. I will be well over 100 miles from the nearest service center and just under 100 miles from the nearest SuperCharger.

Question -

If an update is pushed by Tesla, will this be downloaded (via 3G) and installed just as happens when I leave my Model S in the garage connected to WiFi?

2. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

Yes. I've received a few updates while I was at work where it was just on 3G. Many others have as well.

3. ashok.bansal.md

That's exactly right.

4. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Yes, many of my updates have been via 3G when I'm not at home.

5. Patrick W

Patrick W Member

I was surprised to learn from my SC recently that by the time the clock icon pops up on the display the data have already downloaded to the car and are just waiting to be installed.

So unless the car is somehow always on WiFi (not likely) updates will download via 3G whether parked or on the road (though the update itself can only happen when the car is stopped and in park).

6. AlphaOne086

AlphaOne086 Member

The updates will not install automatically, they will download but require user to schedule installation.

7. BobC

BobC Member

Is there a way to check for the updates manually? My latest version of 6.2 (2.5.71) does not seem to be the latest (ends in a .85) listed on the driver/firmware updates version thread.

8. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

No. Tesla pushes out updates over several weeks usually unless it's a major safety issue. No one has figured out the pattern of what order they go out in. Also you might not receive every update. Some are bug fixes specific to certain configurations.