Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update to 2021.36.5.1 Stuck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,
Today I started updating our 2018 Model X to 2021.36.5.1. It just showed up on my car today. About three hours later and the app still shows it installing without a percentage at all. I’ve not seen an update go this way before. Anyone know if it is “safe” to interrupt an update that is currently in progress?

Attachments

• 81A81F11-711F-48B2-B772-9D05ABDC3A24.jpeg
    81A81F11-711F-48B2-B772-9D05ABDC3A24.jpeg
    96 KB · Views: 152
Hi All,
Today I started updating our 2018 Model X to 2021.36.5.1. It just showed up on my car today. About three hours later and the app still shows it installing without a percentage at all. I’ve not seen an update go this way before. Anyone know if it is “safe” to interrupt an update that is currently in progress?
today I also installed 2021.36.5.1 in my 2019 MX. I did not have any issues. The completion was reported on my phone app. My guess is you can abort your install from the phone or from the car. I had done so in one of my previous installs on an earlier update. As a precaution just disconnect any USB drive connected to the vehicle during the u/g process. You you add it back once the install is successful

today I also installed 2021.36.5.1 in my 2019 MX. I did not have any issues. The completion was reported on my phone app. My guess is you can abort your install from the phone or from the car. I had done so in one of my previous installs on an earlier update. As a precaution just disconnect any USB drive connected to the vehicle during the u/g process. You you add it back once the install is successful
Thanks for the reply. I was unable to abort the update through the Tesla app. I phoned Tesla directly to make sure it was safe to do the double scroll wheel + brake. That is exactly what they said I should do. The car actually now says it is at 2021.36.5.1, but it also is saying that it has downloaded 2021.36.5.1 at 100% and seems “stuck” at 100%. I’m not 100% sure that the update actually succeeded (even though it is saying it is at 2021.36.5.1).

Just an update in case anyone hits a similar issue. I ended up opening a service request with Tesla through the app. Tesla kindly cleared the “updater cache“ (their words) for our car and then sent a software reinstall to ensure all components were properly updated. The reinstall went through smoothly.

Reactions: Rdriver