Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LOL. t don't really understand how a software update can have a backlog.
There's a HUGE number ppl waiting on the updates, any update at this point lol. There's apparently some tie up with the vision cars being real far behind. Anyways there's nothing we can do till then. It's like waiting for a new driver for your computer that enables more function etc. but its our cars.

There's a HUGE number ppl waiting on the updates, any update at this point lol. There's apparently some tie up with the vision cars being real far behind. Anyways there's nothing we can do till then. It's like waiting for a new driver for your computer that enables more function etc. but its our cars.
When a smartphone software update is ready, it's available to everyone right away. I wonder why car software would be different.

Reactions: gigawhat?
When a smartphone software update is ready, it's available to everyone right away.

@HellsKitchen while this is true for some manufacturers, many do a staggered deployment. While it can be frustrating for customers to wait for the latest and greatest, it's actually very smart instead of a "big bang" deployment. If there is an issue in the release which you didn't identify during internal testing, and you've deployed it to your entire customer base at once, you're going to have a lot of angry customers and a big rush to fix it. Instead, if you gradually deploy to small groups of randomly chosen customers at a time, you can monitor for issues. If any are identified by these early birds, you can pause the deployment and take the time to resolve before trying again.

While a software bug in a fleet of smartphones could be annoying, in a fleet of high-tech and semi-autonomous vehicles on the road, it could be disastrous.

I feel like I'm the odd guy out at a really cool party, and all the cool kids are groovin' and I'm stuck against a wall.

Delivery date was August 3/21

CleanShot 2021-09-19 at 05.33.47@2x.png

@HellsKitchen while this is true for some manufacturers, many do a staggered deployment. While it can be frustrating for customers to wait for the latest and greatest, it's actually very smart instead of a "big bang" deployment. If there is an issue in the release which you didn't identify during internal testing, and you've deployed it to your entire customer base at once, you're going to have a lot of angry customers and a big rush to fix it. Instead, if you gradually deploy to small groups of randomly chosen customers at a time, you can monitor for issues. If any are identified by these early birds, you can pause the deployment and take the time to resolve before trying again.

While a software bug in a fleet of smartphones could be annoying, in a fleet of high-tech and semi-autonomous vehicles on the road, it could be disastrous.

But how do they monitor for issues? My current software build 2021.4.21.3 sucks ass... how does Tesla know that 2021.4.21.3 sucks ass? When I first got the car, every time it did something stupid I would use the "bug report" system. Then I was told here (not sure if true or not) that the bug report system is a placebo to keep people from going postal when their $60,000+ car has un-useable auto pilot, or some other "feature" that is driving them insane. If bitching and moaning on this forum is the only feedback they receive, then we need to know it. If there is some other EFFECTIVE way of giving feedback, I want to know it. I would love to help Tesla improve its software.

Keith

But how do they monitor for issues? […] If there is some other EFFECTIVE way of giving feedback, I want to know it. I would love to help Tesla improve its software.

Keith

IFF you ensure you have a good wifi link when parked overnight, Tesla will upload videos from your car to monitor for issues. You can select “share” on some of the options, and select “Advanced” on the software update.

Tesla often uploads hundreds of megabytes of videos weekly from my Teslas. Issues get addressed. Resolution can take months depending on the Tesla Triage. Car wash mode took years, but Joe mode took only a few months.

If you have issues, the forums are often full of solutions, sometimes snarky, but still effective.

If enough community support comments on a problem, Tesla notices and it might get resolved.

But you really just need a good wifi link every night.

PS. Like all computers, many issues resolve after a “full double button” reboot And an overnight wifi link. Or perhaps it’s just the restful sleep I get that night, but….

IFF you ensure you have a good wifi link when parked overnight, Tesla will upload videos from your car to monitor for issues. You can select “share” on some of the options, and select “Advanced” on the software update.

Tesla often uploads hundreds of megabytes of videos weekly from my Teslas. Issues get addressed. Resolution can take months depending on the Tesla Triage. Car wash mode took years, but Joe mode took only a few months.

If you have issues, the forums are often full of solutions, sometimes snarky, but still effective.

If enough community support comments on a problem, Tesla notices and it might get resolved.

But you really just need a good wifi link every night.

PS. Like all computers, many issues resolve after a “full double button” reboot And an overnight wifi link. Or perhaps it’s just the restful sleep I get that night, but….

I have a good wifi connection, and sharing active as well as having "advanced" selected on software updates. How can you tell that your car is uploading video when parked at home? Does using the "bug report" function do anything?

Thanks,

Keith

Between my brother's 2019 M3, 2021 MY and my 2021 MY, mine has an update on average every 10-14 days. He hasn't had any on his MY since delivery May and every few months for M3. The only difference I can think of is I have FSD.
I think FSD has a lot to do with which cars are presented with the later updates.