Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Version 9/10 for Non-AP/Classic Cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator note (bmah): Consolidating two threads on similar/same topics.

As suggested in the other thread, we need a V9 thread.

I don't have V9 yet but would like to know more about how it affects classics, if anyone has installed it already. I presume that the V9 focus will be on AP but it may have significant changes for our older cars, both good and bad. As usual.

Last edited by a moderator:
Classic S vehicles should see the new UI style plus benefit from the ability to use your smartphone for setting a navigation route and then transferring it to the onboard nav software.

And hopefully this release will fix the media player bugs introduced in the last major release, version 8, two years ago...

Reactions: bollar
From Electrek:

Tesla Version 9.0: all new features based on your Model 3, Model S, or Model X generation

UI Media changes for Model S and Model X
These are different based on the region and the onboard media computer.

The US and Canada
  • Model S and Model X with MCU1
    • The Media Player now allows for three different views: the Miniplayer with simple controls and more space for viewing your map; Recent & Favorites with your favorites and listening history; and Browse, for discovering something new. You can easily hide or show the Media Player by dragging the window up or down. To switch sources, tap on the desired icon at the bottom of the Media Player.
    • In Media Settings, the Options tab allows you to turn off explicit lyrics with the Explicit Content setting. The DJ commentary button for hearing music news on Streaming stations has also moved to Media>Settings.
  • Model S and Model X with MCU2 (from ~February 2018 to present)
    • The Media Player now allows for three different views: the Miniplayer with simple controls and more space for viewing your map; Recent & Favorites with your favorites and listening history; and Browse, for discovering something new. You can easily hide or show the Media Player by dragging the window up or down. To switch sources, tap on the desired icon at the bottom of the Media Player.
    • On the radio, you can now tune directly to a station using Direct Tune. For example, enter “88.5” while you’ve selected FM and you can listen immediately.
    • In Media Settings, the Options tab allows you to turn off explicit lyrics with the Explicit Content setting. The DJ commentary button for hearing music news on Streaming stations has also moved to Media>Settings.
Outside of the US and Canada
  • Model S and Model X with MCU1
    • The Media Player now allows for 3 different views: the Miniplayer when you want just the basics; Recent & Favorites when you might want to quickly change what you’re listening to; and Browse, for when you’re looking for something different. You can easily hide or show the Media player by dragging the window up or down.
    • To switch sources, tap on the icons on the bottom of the Media player.
    • Similar to other apps, use the tabs on the left to navigate the Media Player, where you can find your saved Favorites or look for more content.
  • Model S and Model X with MCU2 (from ~February 2018 to present)
    • The Media Player now allows for 3 different views: the Miniplayer when you want just the basics; Recent & Favorites when you might want to quickly change what you’re listening to; and Browse, for when you’re looking for something different. You can easily hide or show the Media player by dragging the window up or down.
    • To switch sources, tap on the icons on the bottom of the Media player.
    • Similar to other apps, use the tabs on the left to navigate the Media Player, where you can find your saved Favorites or look for more content.
    • On the radio, you can now tune directly to a station using Direct Tune. For example, enter “88.5” while you’ve selected FM and you can listen immediately.
User Interface changes
This is where things get more complicated. As we previously reported, the biggest UI change with version 9.0 is that Tesla is bringing the Model 3 UI design to Model S and Model X.

For the most part, it appears to be the case for all Model S and Model X vehicles, but there are a few different changes depending on car...

Model S and Model X
  • Application launcher: Model S and Model X already had all the new apps introduced in Model 3, but now it also get the app launcher.
    • Located at the bottom of your touchscreen, the new application launcher brings all your apps together in one place. You can also access your last-used app by swiping up on the application launcher icon.
  • Navigation
    • Navigation on your touchscreen now provides more information about upcoming turns—including highway exit information, when applicable. Tap or pull down the turn-by-turn list to see additional details in the full Trip Overview. In addition, Navigation settings, including voice guidance volume, can be quickly accessed by tapping the settings icon directly on the bottom corner of the touchscreen map.
    • The traffic view has been restyled to further highlight problematic areas. Roads experiencing slower speeds or delays will be emphasized with red and yellow outlines.

• To improve Navigation’s ability to provide relevant instructions, you can now select whether or not your vehicle is eligible for high-occupancy vehicle (HOV) lanes. When enabled, Navigation will route you though HOV lanes. When disabled, Navigation avoids routing you through HOV lanes. Tap the settings icon on the bottom corner of the map then enable or disable Use HOV Lanes as desired.
  • Climate Control
    • Climate has been redesigned to be more compact and easier to use

• All of your controls for Climate have been moved to one place. Touch the seat icon to access controls for all seat heaters, steering wheel heater, and wiper heater.

Last edited:
For a 2015 CPO, assuming it has AP1 hardware, it's unlikely V9 will add any new AP features. Tesla's focus is on implementing the additional features for EAP/FSD with the AP2.x hardware.

At best AP1 owners may see some small improvements, as Tesla corrects problems in the AP software. But as far as new features, without the additional sensors and dedicated AP processor, the AP1 vehicles have reached their peak on AP functionality.

I presume that others got the email outlining a few changes in Version 9 — if not:
mail

Introducing Software Version 9.0—designed for a faster, more intuitive driver experience. Here’s a brief overview of the most important updates:
  • The new application launcher allows you to access all your apps in one place
  • The Tesla App can now connect with your car to control media, send a destination and start a software update
  • Navigation provides more insight into upcoming turns—including highway exit information
FULL DETAILS
To receive these updates as quickly as possible, make sure your car is connected to WiFi. As a Tesla owner, your driving experience will only get better over time: every Model S, Model X and Model 3 on the road will receive new features and improvements from Software Version 9.0.

Tesla's description of Version 9 ("Full Details"):

Discover Software Version 9.0

I'm almost afraid to turn on my car in case it has the firmware update notice. Do I risk it or not? I really like the way nav and the screen works now. However, I can adapt to a new way of doing things if I must, so I guess I'll make the switch to Version 9 and begin the learning curve. Reading the link above makes me think that there are some helpful improvements to the screen interface.

Edit: As expected, I did have the new firmware notice. Installing now...

I presume that others got the email outlining a few changes in Version 9 — if not:

Tesla's description of Version 9 ("Full Details"):

Discover Software Version 9.0

I'm almost afraid to turn on my car in case it has the firmware update notice. Do I risk it or not? I really like the way nav and the screen works now. However, I can adapt to a new way of doing things if I must, so I guess I'll make the switch to Version 9 and begin the learning curve. Reading the link above makes me think that there are some helpful improvements to the screen interface.

Edit: As expected, I did have the new firmware notice. Installing now...
What year is your car?

What year is your car?
May 2014 build S60. No AP or anything fancy like that, although I do have navigation and use it a lot on road trips. (I find the usual firmware threads irritating since they quickly devolve into page after page of technical discussions about AP, which doesn't interest me in the slightest, having a classic Model S.)

Version 9 actually has a lot of changes that affect classics since the entire screen presentation has been reworked.

Reactions: tccartier