Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Version 9/10 for Non-AP/Classic Cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you explain how "speed limiter" works and what it is for? I'm unclear on it.
You will be able to set a max speed for the car as well as a pin code to deactivate the function. In addition to setting a max speed the car should also enter Chill Mode for less power and less sensitive throttle. I tested this a while back with a loaner that had AP1.
Pretty useful for inexperienced drivers. Nice to see that this now also comes to the Classics.

The function can be set within the car as well as in the APP.

@Myself: From a video I watches, it seems like climate control is either 100% auto or 100% manual. Not a good move on Tesla's part; there was no need to remove the functionality and dumb it down. This version seems to be about #1 making an S/X look like a 3 and #2 removing options users were using. :eek:

But anyone who has v9, if you could confirm I understood the video (an owner walk-through of the new UI) right, I'd appreciate it, thanks. :)

I don’t have v9 myself yet, but from the images & videos I have seen you can still adjust climate control manually. Just like in v8.1 with the only difference being that turning HVAC on/off is no longer a one-click operation. You have to enter the climate menu first.
Even “camper mode” is still available as far as I have seen.

@migselv: Yes, I see the manual settings. I was wondering about auto/manual toggling, where it SEEMS like instead of 4 toggles (right now, I can make recycle, A/C, fan speed, and fan location independently be auto or manual) you only get 1 toggle (all 4 features automated or all must be manually adjusted). I'm hoping I misinterpreted the UI, but I suspect not.

Ohh, you are right. I just checked one of the videos again. Either auto is on (for every setting) or completely off.
I usually drive with the A/C off and now I wonder if that turns off auto for the other settings.

Can someone post some photos of what the 17 inch screen and instrument cluster looks like with version 9 running, so I can get a better idea whether to install it when it is downloaded to my car.

I typically have the navigation showing on the top half of the 17 inch screen with either the media player or Waze running on the lower half of the screen, and would like to know what it looks like under version 9.

Further, when parking I display my front camera (Artsci’s canera mod) on the upper half of the screen in place of the navigation and would like to know whether that is still possible.

Thanks
Some pictures of various apps and screens. The map is always on top and always displayed, at least a little, so far as I can see.

Full screen map:
Model S Full screen map2137sf 10-8-18.jpg

Media player at default size (what you get when hitting the media button, which is always displayed at the bottom of the screen):
Model S Media player default size2138sf 10-8-18.jpg

Media player expanded by swiping up:
Model S Media player expanded size2136sf 10-8-18.jpg

Media player reduced by swiping down:
Model S Media player reduced size2139sf 10-8-18.jpg

App menu displayed:
Model S Menu button selections2140sf 10-8-18.jpg

Energy screen displayed:
Model S Energy screen2141sf 10-8-18.jpg

Climate control displayed:
Model S Climate control screen2145sf 10-8-18.jpg

Reverse camera displayed (when driving, not in reverse — when in reverse it is the same as in 8.1, on top with guide lines):
Model S Reverse camera2142sf 10-8-18.jpg

Browser displayed and fully expanded:
Model S Browser fully expanded2143sf 10-8-18.jpg

Charge screen displayed:
Model S Charging screen2144sf 10-8-18.jpg

My sense from all this is that there are few benefits from V9 for classic cars and significant loss of function with the inability to display two apps at the same time. The main benefits of V9 seems to be the ability to send navigation destinations to the car from the phone and such things as avoiding toll roads and HOV lanes.

I think that those who think that Tesla will bow to the protests and restore two app functionality may be disappointed. My take is that Tesla dumbed down the screen display in the Model S/X in order to make it more similar to the smaller and less capable screen in the Model 3. It might make developing the firmware easier to do it this way.

Ohh, you are right. I just checked one of the videos again. Either auto is on (for every setting) or completely off.
I usually drive with the A/C off and now I wonder if that turns off auto for the other settings.

I have found I can manually set recirculate mode to ON without turning AUTO off for everything else, but that is the extent of it. Changes to air outlets, A/C and fan speed turn AUTO mode off for everything.

I usually use recirculate all the time, my commute takes me through a lot of farming country (thanks for the food, but the fields don't always smell so good) and there's a lot of coal-rollin' trucks.

2014 Pre-AP S85 here.

Chill mode:
Never had Chill mode before V9, but the only difference I can see when it is turned on is the grey "CHILL" on the speedo where the blue "CRUISE" usually is when cruise control is active. It doesn't seem to affect power.

Speed limit mode:
It beeps when you reach 3 mph slower than what it is set for, and when you exceed that it REALLY limits the power. I tested setting it at 50 just for shiggles and it wouldn't allow me to do more than 55 unless I was going downhill.

One more thing I noticed with 2018.39.6:
When I get on it, the "kW tach" now goes all the way to 320 kW. Previously it only went about two-thirds of the way between 160 and 320. I don't think we magically got 40 extra kW of maximum power with V9, just that the calibration of the "kW tach" was updated.

I haven't done any timed 0-60 runs to test anything - just casual observations.

I've had V9 for four days now. Before V9, I typically had music on top and navigation on the bottom. Being forced into having navigation on top and music on the bottom isn't a big deal to me. What does annoy me are apps that used to take one touch now takes two touches with more focus and looking a the bottom of the screen, far away from where my eyes should be while I'm driving. When I go to change the climate control, I often turn on my seat heater. When I reverse, the rear view camera displays on the top like before with the parking sensors at the bottom, but if I toggle the rear view camera through the menu, it only displays at the bottom. Making a phone call is only done looking at the bottom of the screen as well. A lot of the problems can be fixed by giving us the ability to select top or bottom. We didn't buy the limitations with the display of a Model 3, so why make it like one?

On the positive side, Atari games is a blast and you can control them through the steering wheel. The music app seems to be an improvement in navigating the selections and in finding songs through the USB. V9 also seems to be the least buggy version of the last few major release so far, especially compared to V8. The car controls menu seems to be a big improvement, with the removal of tabs and a reduction of touches to find the control you want. The speed limit and Chill mode is a nice addition, though Chill mode didn't make any difference for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: tccartier
I've also made several mentions on other threads, but my classic P85+ got the update and I am not a fan. I'm in the camp that like rear cam on top and....anything else at the bottom.

Rarely use nav, only when road tripping so maybe once or twice a year.

2014 Pre-AP S85 here.
Chill mode:
Never had Chill mode before V9, but the only difference I can see when it is turned on is the grey "CHILL" on the speedo where the blue "CRUISE" usually is when cruise control is active. It doesn't seem to affect power.

Thank you for testing this. Unfortunately the result is rather disappointing.

I was hoping someone with a P85 could test if Chill Mode does have any affect on power output and throttle response.

One would think it would be easy to apply the "Valet Mode" power and throttle profile to "Chill Mode" just without the speed limit (and the other restrictions of course) from a programming perspective.

Can you explain how "speed limiter" works and what it is for? I'm unclear on it.

You set the speed limit setting and enable it. Once enabled, if you come within a few mph of the limit, your Tesla app will notify you that your approaching the limit (which is useful if you are valeting the car or having one of your kids take the car out). If the limit is reached, the car will begin limiting power to the motor so that it does not go above the speed limit.

Wow, this is actually pretty cool. Chill Mode and Speed Limit now available for the Classics!
Really happy to see this and thanks for confirming @emulsifide. Will be looking forward to v9 now.

I only stated that the Speed Limiter Mode is confirmed working. When Chill Mode is enabled on my car, I feel no difference. I just turned my car in for some repairs and was given a 70D while it's in the shop. There is a noticeable difference in how the car feels/reacts to inputs when in Chill Mode, so I'm definitely chalking the Chill Mode setting in my non-AP P85 up to being a bug.

Still haven't got the v9 update... even though the reviews seem to be less than stellar I feel left out.

You and me both. No V9 for me either. Though like you say from what I'm seeing of those that do have it I think I'm going to be less than impressed. It seems to take away functionality making my Center screen less capable and customizable.