Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Version 9/10 for Non-AP/Classic Cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I actually really like the V9 update on my 2014 Non-AP Tesla Model S 85. I never use Auto on climate and there is a trick for getting three things on the screen at the same time. Hit the menu icon in the bottom and choose the app you want to use. Then click the music icon. Then instead of clicking the menu icon, press and slide it up - the last app will start sliding into place. Then place another finger on the media app and drag both fingers up until you like the placement. I just hope they make this feature easier to use in later updates. My only complaint is that the minified media player (that I really love), does not "stick" - it always resets to the 50% view whenever I put the car in park.

Brent

there is a trick for getting three things on the screen at the same time. Hit the menu icon in the bottom and choose the app you want to use. Then click the music icon. Then instead of clicking the menu icon, press and slide it up - the last app will start sliding into place. Then place another finger on the media app and drag both fingers up until you like the placement.

Thanks for the tip. I had to print it -- too much going on to remember -- and it reminds me of Window's Vista isn't really that bad tips, if you just jump through all these hoops first -- but I'll give it a try -- and do appreciate it. Looking at what's required, I better not do it while driving, unless Tesla is trying to get us to total all the non-AP cars with this latest update that looks to require a lot of distraction and nimble, agile fingers. Just to bring the browser up, I had to find where they have now hid it, then try to slide it up because it's useless so small, then we don't even get full screen anymore -- so just to use it takes quite the process. I think it's to keep the data down. I thought they already did that with the turtle slow browser but now just to use it, it's a hassle, and then a web page will freeze after browsing around not too long, and it won't do anything until a reboot -- coincidence? I think data saver. Then I went to open my sunroof... ugh.... the nice easy slider is gone... and I like to keep the camera on top but I couldn't figure that one out... and the list goes on and on...

So I went to clean the screen while stopped at a light and we're basically back to the old days of cleaning the screen with the car off, or risk it doing wonky unintended things. Having it shaded out means it's useless to have at all, at least to me. When I'm parked and cleaning, my car is off anyway. So I can browse the web but not clean the screen? Okay, but it really makes me nervous to take the next update, since it won't surprise me if the browser is shaded out unless in park next time. What's worse, browsing the web or wiping the screen? But stopping web browsing sure saves data --- and no one is going to sit in their car in park and browse the web. So let's prepare them with no screen cleaning first?... call me paranoid... I'll hope that explains it too...

I also tried the tip above, a few times, but no luck. I guess I'm doing it wrong.

• Informative
Reactions: Knightowl
The clean mode still exists for the screen, I guess I've never used it at a stop light in 4.5 years.

I never said it does not exist. This update shaded it out unless in park after a few years of no shading since it was first introduced. If it's dangerous to use while driving, why isn't the browser shaded out? That's much more dangerous to use while driving. My Nav and Sirius searches were shaded out in my 2008 Tahoe hybrid until I installed an aftermarket lockpic so I could use them while driving. Then I get a Tesla and it blows my mind I can browse the web... which has been great for the past 4 years but for how much longer until it's also shaded out unless in park? And I doubt we'll see a lockpic or similar for many years. Again, I sure hope I'm proven wrong, paranoid, and over-reacting. But I'm leaving for my cabin tomorrow and V9 makes the drive worse, not better, which is what I expect from updates yet the opposite happens.

Last edited:
In v9, is there any way to turn on the cold weather package (heated steering wheel, wipers, rear seats) without turning on the climate control? I know you can turn the climate off after you're done, but is there any way to avoid having to do that?

Thanks for the tips and issues listed. Here are some simplified solutions and reminders to make life with Version 9 easier.

A quick swipe up on the app icon restores the last app if you drag past the menu bar.

While viewing the app, use one hand with two fingers on the note and app icons to display three “windows” by dragging all the way up to the map.

Swipe the top of the Calendar or Web window down to remove the app. Other windows can be swiped down most anywhere. For example, It is NOT necessary to carefully position your finger over the drag bar on the media window.

Fold and roll a DRY clean microfiber cloth to keep your hand away from the screen to clean without activating the screen. Practice this at home before driving. Cleaning solution on the towel will activate the screen. Use a damp cloth only while parked with the “Screen Clean Mode”.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: ohmman
I also tried the tip above, a few times, but no luck. I guess I'm doing it wrong.

With nav and music both up, put one finger on the top of the music window and hold it there. With another finger, tap the ^ button to bring up the apps list, then tap the camera (or any other app) button and let go, so you only have one finger onscreen - the first one that was on music. Camera appears, and music is gone. But since your finger was still on music when it vanished, you still have control over it. Drag your finger all the way up and media will appear over the camera.

I am finding that I can drag the two icons (music and apps) up at the same time towards the map anytime to get all the windows to appear. So simple!

Why Tesla doesn't create a short video to demonstrate the ease of V9 is beyond me.

Remember how version 8 allowed us to drag the app icons down into the two windows. The same action applies in regard to the action of dragging BOTH icons (music and apps) from the lower menu bar UP at the same time.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
This isn't intentional behavior, it's a glitch - that's why the position and fullscreen corner icons are gone. We weren't supposed to have this freedom at all; they tried to reduce us to one app and messed it up - and my hope is this happy accident becomes official rather than fixing the glitch and downgrading us to one bottom app only.

The glitch to try to get 3 (3? I just wanted 2...) things on-screen at once sounds complicated and confusing, but maybe just because I haven't updated. I should probably stop by a Tesla store to see it in person.

I haven't even been prompted for the update! I was tempted to turn off wifi to cement 8.x and no update. :p My other half has to keep cancelling. Shoot, just put it in park, then put it in drive again and the update notice comes up! Talk about unsafe, don't prompt for updates when I'm in drive. :rolleyes:

BTW thanks to those upthread for the climate info. So if I understand right, I will be able to toggle recirc, but if I change anything else, it all goes to manual mode. Le sigh, inexplicable and annoying, but not the worst thing ever. I used to drive a 2000 Miata with all manual climate control so I can handle it. ;)

Update on service appointment.

Tesla doesn’t test reverting the software version so the only safe way to do it would be to install 12 new computers.

The previous version is apparently in memory but once the checksum comes back as passed on all components, service is not allowed to attempt to revert as there is a risk that one of the dozen components.

So I have another post 9 update wanting to install any idea what it is?

At this point I’m gun shy and don’t want to update without confirmation.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and kavyboy
Update on service appointment.

Tesla doesn’t test reverting the software version so the only safe way to do it would be to install 12 new computers.

The previous version is apparently in memory but once the checksum comes back as passed on all components, service is not allowed to attempt to revert as there is a risk that one of the dozen components.

So I have another post 9 update wanting to install any idea what it is?

At this point I’m gun shy and don’t want to update without confirmation.

I have seen on a couple of Facebook group post's that said that the post Version 9 update I think it is .37? gives you multiple windows again and enables you to be able to run the camera or app of choice up top but they noted that they are floating windows so the map is still in the background because you don't have four corners like we did before.

It is 2018.42 and you can't have any app you want on top. The browser can't be on top. And the media app is always under whatever app you select. At least that is what I have seen.

Well then the problem hasn't been solved then. I like to have my media player on top sometimes sometimes energy sometimes anything on top. The fact that my car is now handcuffed is not much of a upgrade. Was this level of blowback it makes me wonder if the people at Tesla even asked anyone or consulted any customers in the development of this mess.

Still on 8, still annoyed with it.
I've read that the latest V9 let's you put apps on the top half, but only with media on the bottom.
Ugh. So any app on the bottom if map is on top, and any (?) on top if the bottom is media.
Resetting maps? No way - I set custom zoom very often, and many times custom scroll too.
I want V7 + the Keep Climate On button.