Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar array stopped production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My array stopped producing energy with 0kWh from the panels to my PW3 since yesterday afternoon. From a few other threads I'm seeing it may be related to my inverter overheating. Tesla had no explanation or troubleshooting suggestions. They just opened a ticket and said it may take 5-10 business days to even get a tech out if they can't remotely resolve it. Wondering if anyone is experiencing this?

One thing I noticed on my PW+ on very warm days is that my inverter fan will be going like gangbusters (my powerwall is in my garage and it gets quite warm in there on very hot days) and if I open the inverter cover, in a matter of a few seconds, a large amount of radiant heat will expel (like suddenly opening the dishwasher in the middle of the dry cycle) and then that dissipates quickly and the fan ramps down to almost zero rpm. Although it’s not nearly anything scientifically accurate; It “seems” like every time I do this, the production goes up .1 kw. Not everytime, and it might just be normal fluctuations, but going by the cooling fan in the inverter, it’s own internal sensors are reporting to itself that it’s running cooler.

I never leave the cover open if I’m not standing there just because I believe it to be a hazard, but I’ve always been curious if when the inverter is operating with the cover open if it might be further away or even potentially avoid an overheating threshold that would shut it down or cause a failure…

One thing I noticed on my PW+ on very warm days is that my inverter fan will be going like gangbusters (my powerwall is in my garage and it gets quite warm in there on very hot days) and if I open the inverter cover, in a matter of a few seconds, a large amount of radiant heat will expel (like suddenly opening the dishwasher in the middle of the dry cycle) and then that dissipates quickly and the fan ramps down to almost zero rpm. Although it’s not nearly anything scientifically accurate; It “seems” like every time I do this, the production goes up .1 kw. Not everytime, and it might just be normal fluctuations, but going by the cooling fan in the inverter, it’s own internal sensors are reporting to itself that it’s running cooler.

I never leave the cover open if I’m not standing there just because I believe it to be a hazard, but I’ve always been curious if when the inverter is operating with the cover open if it might be further away or even potentially avoid an overheating threshold that would shut it down or cause a failure…
Perhaps it is worth considering getting a vent for the garage, or adding some insulation, or both?

Perhaps it is worth considering getting a vent for the garage, or adding some insulation, or both?
The garage is finished inside, it’s just the garage door bakes in the sun and though it’s an insulated door, it’s thinner than an insulated wall and so it ends up radiating a lot of heat inside.

It gets pretty warm in there, but I’d think not as hot as say, being outside in the Arizona sun.

I will probably get a ridge vent in the garage though sometime, I’m just procrastinating :p

The garage is finished inside, it’s just the garage door bakes in the sun and though it’s an insulated door, it’s thinner than an insulated wall and so it ends up radiating a lot of heat inside.

It gets pretty warm in there, but I’d think not as hot as say, being outside in the Arizona sun.

I will probably get a ridge vent in the garage though sometime, I’m just procrastinating :p
I have my powerwalls in my garage, and to help cool my garage, I also have a heat pump hot water heater in the garage also. In the summer, I have my water heater set to 'heat pump only', which draws the hot air out of the convention oven / aka garage and pushes out cool air. Cools my garage by about 15-20 degrees. My inverters, however, are outside. They are the version prior to the PW+, which I think have a larger heat sink and cooling capacity (they are also physically larger). They seems to keep themselves within operating temperature, even on hot days.