Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Generation "choppy"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question for you for people out there if they see the same "issue" as I do.

Up to yesterday I had 21.35.2 (seems like today my PW+ got updated to 21.39.7759c368)

Over time, my solar generation based on the Tesla App , gets pretty choppy and I see degradation on total solar production. I have found out that power cycle would fix that and I will go back to what I believe is normal. I noticed this before when I was on self-comsumption mode and thought that might be the reason, however since then I've got the PTO and now I can export to the grid. Noticed couple days ago is started again so I power cycled the system and seems to be working as I would expect. Has anyone else noticed that? I have attached few screen shots. Spike down on "yesterday" is when I power cycled the system. Before someone else ask, there wasn't single cloud that could have caused that.

Anyone else seeing similar performance?

Attachments

• IMG_9657.jpeg
    IMG_9657.jpeg
    67.1 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_9658.jpeg
    IMG_9658.jpeg
    74.3 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_9659.jpeg
    IMG_9659.jpeg
    72.9 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_9660.jpeg
    IMG_9660.jpeg
    74 KB · Views: 81
Tough one. My $0.02 would be clouds or a really strange inverter problem. I checked the historical weather from Nov 25, one of your really choppy days and it seemed to be partly cloudy.

If that's not the issue, probably going to take convincing Tesla to swap the inverter.

Good luck!

I get the same thing ever since the latest PW firmware update and APP, and I have microinverters. It only happens after the PW is fully charged (look at the peak of the curve.) The other thing I get is micro charge and discharge of the PW throughout the day after the PW is fully charged (something that never happened prior to the latest APP update.)

ETA: ignore that hump at the end. That’s due to late afternoon shading from my palms this time of year. There is no shading during peak and no cloud cover at all

ETA2: I checked each microinverter production on my Enphase APP each of these days as well. Each day there are different microinverters that will suddenly cut production. This tells me it is not due to a microinverter failure. And the fact that this did not begin until after the latest updates to the gateway and Tesla APP, it only happens after the PW is fully charged, and it occurs every single day, the issue is most likely with the gateway

Attachments

• 11AE003C-5085-4572-BE7C-0E41584E6440.jpeg
    11AE003C-5085-4572-BE7C-0E41584E6440.jpeg
    73.5 KB · Views: 61
  • 936123AB-1645-4383-A4E8-CEBE637CF517.jpeg
    936123AB-1645-4383-A4E8-CEBE637CF517.jpeg
    86.3 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
I get the same thing ever since the latest PW firmware update and APP, and I have microinverters. It only happens after the PW is fully charged (look at the peak of the curve.) The other thing I get is micro charge and discharge of the PW throughout the day after the PW is fully charged (something that never happened prior to the latest APP update.)

ETA: ignore that hump at the end. That’s due to late afternoon shading from my palms this time of year. There is no shading during peak and no cloud cover at all

ETA2: I checked each microinverter production on my Enphase APP each of these days as well. Each day there are different microinverters that will suddenly cut production. This tells me it is not due to a microinverter failure. And the fact that this did not begin until after the latest updates to the gateway and Tesla APP, it only happens after the PW is fully charged, and it occurs every single day, the issue is most likely with the gateway
Are you in off grid mode? i.e. frequency shifting from the gateway when the SOC is close to full?

All the best,

BG