Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Glass Repair / Replacing Tiles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
golf ball damage by bad golfers
Sorry your tile got damaged. It made me wonder how the size of a golf ball compares to the size of hail the roof is supposed to withstand. Apparently golf balls must be at least 1.68 inches in diameter and at least 1.62 ounces in weight, but there is no maximum size! (see What is the size of the golf ball and hole? ). Tesla says the roof has an "ANSI FM 4473 Class 3" hail rating which means it is supposed to handle impact of an ice ball up to 1.75 inches in diameter and 1.48 ounces in weight:

Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 5.21.27 AM.png

This table came from https://haagglobal.com/am-site/media/testing-of-impact-resistant-shingles.pdf .

I had originally thought the roof ought to be "safe" from golf ball damage, but I guess the slight additional weight and (maybe?) higher velocity was too much to handle. Any idea what kind of shot caused the damage?

Golf balls are rather inelastic compared to hail, so they will transfer more force on impact than hail, which tends to shatter. So, for the same size and weight, expect more damage from golf balls.

Hopefully this won't be a common occurrence for you.

All the best,

BG

• Informative
Reactions: trautmane2
Golf balls are rather inelastic compared to hail, so they will transfer more force on impact than hail, which tends to shatter. So, for the same size and weight, expect more damage from golf balls.

All the best,

BG
Most homes that border golf courses have some sort of hold the golfer harmless clause. Everyone I know that lives next to fairways on a golf course has had some sort of damage (windows, items in backyards, pets, cars) from errant golfballs.

It probably depends on the definition of "handle". That tile didn't shatter, so maybe the impact surface damage is still considered ok per the spec above.

Is that damage to an active tile or a non-active glass tile?
Active tile they are still producing after the damage. Since this I've gotten 2 more broken pv tiles. I feel so bad but what can I do if I live next to a golf course. On my app I can request service for broken tile but will wait till a non pv tile is shattered. I must admit I so much believed in the demonstrations on youtube that they are almost unbreakable even with a hammer that a golf ball was not hard enough to do it. I had a asphalt roof and it was full of divots I repaired myself with the plastic roof cement. It was old and losing it's gravel coating, and I have a model 3p so decided on the solar roof. All the damage is on the backside where
can't be seen from the street so just let it go for now.

Sorry your tile got damaged. It made me wonder how the size of a golf ball compares to the size of hail the roof is supposed to withstand. Apparently golf balls must be at least 1.68 inches in diameter and at least 1.62 ounces in weight, but there is no maximum size! (see What is the size of the golf ball and hole? ). Tesla says the roof has an "ANSI FM 4473 Class 3" hail rating which means it is supposed to handle impact of an ice ball up to 1.75 inches in diameter and 1.48 ounces in weight:

View attachment 653426

This table came from https://haagglobal.com/am-site/media/testing-of-impact-resistant-shingles.pdf .

I had originally thought the roof ought to be "safe" from golf ball damage, but I guess the slight additional weight and (maybe?) higher velocity was too much to handle. Any idea what kind of shot caused the damage?
I'm 50yd down from 16th tee so it's a driver off the tee sliced left into our roof.

All the best,

BG
Daily into our yard and the ones that hit the roof I go out to see if any tiles broke. I'll post more pictures and soon the whole side will be peppered like the cybertruck. Elon believe the cybertruck windshield was unbreakable and was wrong like me with solar tiles.

Most homes that border golf courses have some sort of hold the golfer harmless clause. Everyone I know that lives next to fairways on a golf course has had some sort of damage (windows, items in backyards, pets, cars) from errant golfballs.
And I'm the first with a solar roof next to a golf course, and since the roof is so big a target it will be toast soon.

And I'm the first with a solar roof next to a golf course, and since the roof is so big a target it will be toast soon.
golf balls also have that pretty dense core. Remember as a kid we cut one open.

Really sorry to see your photo and read your posts. Really feel for you. We almost bought a developer lot and house to be built along a golf course but after seeing how many golf balls we found on the lot when we walked it we ended up backing out. I guess it depends a lot on where along the course the home is, less of an issue if they are teeing off from near there. Our lot was further down unfortunately. We thought about netting but the HOA said not permitted because the golf course didn’t want to see it and thought it was unattractive, like broken windows aren’t? We considered something like hurricane glass. Weren’t allowed to plant tall shrubs either to break and soften the impact. Neighbors around there said they also had dented stucco too. Don’t know if we even considered damage to the roof. Whole thing really changed our outlook on building along a golf course. Plus there was the fertilizing maintenance etc of the greens. And yes, the golfers/club were not responsible for any damage per the developer contract.

I hope you’ll continue to post what your experience is going forward both with incidents and repairs. Do you have a lot of the PV tiles on the golf course side of your home? Curious what the difference in cost is between the two tile types.

Last edited:
golf balls also have that pretty dense core. Remember as a kid we cut one open.

Really sorry to see your photo and read your posts. Really feel for you. We almost bought a developer lot and house to be built along a golf course but after seeing how many golf balls we found on the lot when we walked it we ended up backing out. I guess it depends a lot on where along the course the home is, less of an issue if they are teeing off from near there. Our lot was further down unfortunately. We thought about netting but the HOA said not permitted because the golf course didn’t want to see it and thought it was unattractive, like broken windows aren’t? We considered something like hurricane glass. Weren’t allowed to plant tall shrubs either to break and soften the impact. Neighbors around there said they also had dented stucco too. Don’t know if we even considered damage to the roof. Whole thing really changed our outlook on building along a golf course. Plus there was the fertilizing maintenance etc of the greens. And yes, the golfers/club were not responsible for any damage per the developer contract.

I hope you’ll continue to post what your experience is going forward both with incidents and repairs. Do you have a lot of the PV tiles on the golf course side of your home? Curious what the difference in cost is between the two tile types.
When I got the house I fell in love with the view and didn't realize the problems you mentioned. However I still love it here except when in the backyard and hear the whack off the tee and fearing of getting hit. After years I just live with it and have buckets of balls to give away to friends.
My whole side of the roof being hit is maxed out with pv tiles, have a total of 310 pv modules for a total 18.1kw on my roof on all 4 sides..
More hit pics. PV tiles are really strong since it is laminated in between the glass holding it together like a front windshield of a car.

Attachments

• golfballhit.jpeg
    golfballhit.jpeg
    302.9 KB · Views: 101
Actually it's hold the golfcourse harmless ie you can't sue them, but you can sue the golfer. Verbatum from the golf course management.

Had any golfers come and say 'sorry, I hit your house, let me know if you have damages to repair"?
Not to say they shouldn't offer if they knew they caused damages, but it looks like many places (seemingly including CA) tend to say the homeowner is responsible for repair costs unless the golfer was intentionally aiming at the house (as opposed to trying to play the course but hitting a bad shot.) In most cases, the houses were built around the course, so the law assumes people know there is the risk and accept it by buying a house there.

Reactions: h2ofun
Had any golfers come and say 'sorry, I hit your house, let me know if you have damages to repair"?
I call them over and say you just hit my house. They apologize and ask what happened they say was a fade or slice. I really don't care to sue them but
rather work with the golf course how to mitigate hits. They will be moving the tee up a bit to see if that helps.

Not to say they shouldn't offer if they knew they caused damages, but it looks like many places (seemingly including CA) tend to say the homeowner is responsible for repair costs unless the golfer was intentionally aiming at the house (as opposed to trying to play the course but hitting a bad shot.) In most cases, the houses were built around the course, so the law assumes people know there is the risk and accept it by buying a house there.
I live at an HOA with a golf course. If one elects to buy on the course, yep, you elect at some point you will get hit by golf balls. If you buy next to an airport, you will hear noise. I bought on a lake, yep, I hear boat noise.

Yeah ours was build after the golf course, and when I bought the house I wondered why the previous owner built a patio in front of the house. Also pergolas
in the back are built right up to the fascia boards to protect the windows but the view was amazing out to the gold course.

Attachments

• backyard.jpeg
    backyard.jpeg
    800.9 KB · Views: 66
Yeah, was just curious if anyone offers. And it sounds like his course allows pursuing the golfer directly. Offering would bypass the requirement of suing them.
When the first hit on my solar roof broke a tile, I got pissed and called the management what happened and the description of the golfer. They said they
will looks for the guy and hold him so I can talk to him, but they couldn't find him. But then in retrospect how can it be proven and lawyers and etc. so just live with it and the tiles are still producing and look like the infamous cybertruck window. I then tried to just work with management with the tee position. My
neighbors and I did observations on the tee to see how the balls are getting thru. Turned out there is no net on the upmost tee level and slices going thru the
trees they use for that section to block errant swings.

Attachments

• trees.jpeg
    trees.jpeg
    420.2 KB · Views: 62
I live at an HOA with a golf course. If one elects to buy on the course, yep, you elect at some point you will get hit by golf balls. If you buy next to an airport, you will hear noise. I bought on a lake, yep, I hear boat noise.
I hear them all. Planes fly following the riverbed where the golf course is built, ducks fill the area when the river flows and the roar of the river, most annoying is speeding golf carts with trail of dust.

Reactions: h2ofun