Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar install timeline

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered June 8
Initial design ready for review June 11
Site inspection June 13
Roof vents moved to make way for solar June 24
New design ready for review July 2
Installation July 20
First inspection with city (failed) July 30
Second inspection with city (passed) August 6
Now waiting on interconnection agreement to be sent to SCE (already reached out to the NEM folks at SCE, nothing submitted as of 8/10, but did call Tesla after leaning of this and the documents should be submitted within a few days)

Small system, LA area.

• Helpful
Reactions: All In
I ordered July 6th, had it installed on the 24th.. City inspection on the 27th.. Now I've been waiting for weeks as they've been screwing around (dropped the ball they admitted) on getting the paper work over to my power company..

Supposedly they are finally sending it over this week.. Frustrating that it was done so fast, then to have some back end paperwork hold everything up because someone didn't do their job.

• Helpful
Ordered small solar june 20. Added 2 panels and a Powerwall a week later. Two weeks after that they came out for site inspection. A week later, permits were pulled. A week after that, install scheduled for first week of Sept. Also recently got letter confirming rebate for price adjustment.
Tri-Valley, SF Bay Area.
So you ordered a small system. And then added more panels and one powerwall. So total: 8 kw system and one powerwall? How much did adding the extra panel and powerwall delay the permit. I'm on the same boat with the above system but thinking about adding one more powerwall to my system but scared it would delay the permit longer.

Ordered small solar june 20. Added 2 panels and a Powerwall a week later. Two weeks after that they came out for site inspection. A week later, permits were pulled. A week after that, install scheduled for first week of Sept. Also recently got letter confirming rebate for price adjustment.
Tri-Valley, SF Bay Area.

Hello, I plan on adding more panels with the small system as well. What did the extra 2 panels cost as the upgrade? I'm looking to add 4 more for a total of 16 panels and no Powerwalls.

Thanks,

Here's another East coast data point to offset all the West coast ones:

System: 12.24 kW panels, 11.4 kW inverter, no Powerwalls
Order date: June 21, 2020
Installation date: August 26, 2020
PTO: ???

My county had a major delay in permits due to the pandemic, so that was the longest part of the process.

• Helpful
Ordered June 8
Site inspection June 13
Installation July 20
Now waiting on interconnection agreement to be sent to SCE (already reached out to the NEM folks at SCE, nothing submitted as of 8/10, but did call Tesla after leaning of this and the documents should be submitted within a few days)

Small system, LA area.

That is a bummer SCE hadn't receieved anything. My installer said SCE takes 2-3 weeks typically, however on SCE's website they say they normally take 2-3 days. I wonder how much of the 2-3 weeks is due to delays on the Tesla side?

Net Energy Metering: Permission to Operate (PTO)

upload_2020-8-13_9-25-26.png

• Helpful
So you ordered a small system. And then added more panels and one powerwall. So total: 8 kw system and one powerwall? How much did adding the extra panel and powerwall delay the permit. I'm on the same boat with the above system but thinking about adding one more powerwall to my system but scared it would delay the permit longer.

The small system is a little over 4kW. I added 2 extra panels (just to fill out the south roof) which added enough to get the system to approx 4.9kW. No delay to permit process that I know of.

Hello, I plan on adding more panels with the small system as well. What did the extra 2 panels cost as the upgrade? I'm looking to add 4 more for a total of 16 panels and no Powerwalls.

Thanks,

I forget but remember it was prorated with the whole system. Divide system cost by total panels, then multiply additional panels and that's what I paid extra. Then you get the 26% FTIC of course on the entire amount.

I forget but remember it was prorated with the whole system. Divide system cost by total panels, then multiply additional panels and that's what I paid extra. Then you get the 26% FTIC of course on the entire amount.

Before I had signed up, I asked my buddy to ask his advisor about the cost and it was about $10,500. for 16 panels.

Thanks for your reply.

Before I had signed up, I asked my buddy to ask his advisor about the cost and it was about $10,500. for 16 panels.

Thanks for your reply.

That sounds like it may be under the late-June pricing model. $10,500/(16*340) works out to $1.93 per watt. All the current prices are $2.01 per watt no matter the system size, so I would expect a 16 panel system to be about $10,900.

Ordered June 8
Site inspection June 13
Installation July 20

Small system, LA area.

Based on your response, I emailed SCE and they replied they had not received the request from Tesla as also. Final inspection was a week ago and I paid for the system in full on Monday. I haven't had a chance to contact Tesla yet.

Based on your response, I emailed SCE and they replied they had not received the request from Tesla as also. Final inspection was a week ago and I paid for the system in full on Monday. I haven't had a chance to contact Tesla yet.

So it's a race then! ;) I received an email this morning from Tesla saying a new person has taken over my project, and I replied requesting the SCE project number once the interconnection agreement has been submitted. Unfortunately no response yet.

Reactions: SoCal Dave
Out of impatience, I called the Tesla advisor line again to check on the status (no email back from the person that was "assigned" to my account), and the nice lady on the phone said there was an issue with the rate on my NEM application which was holding things up. She said she would fix it right now and get it submitted. :cool:

I'm on TOU-D-PRIME which might not be that popular? I attempted make sure it was right way back at the beginning of my project since they originally just put DOMESTIC as my rate plan (and I didn't want any trouble - I like this TOU rate for my EVs).

That is a bummer SCE hadn't receieved anything. My installer said SCE takes 2-3 weeks typically, however on SCE's website they say they normally take 2-3 days. I wonder how much of the 2-3 weeks is due to delays on the Tesla side?

Net Energy Metering: Permission to Operate (PTO)

View attachment 575815

I'm going on almost 3 weeks waiting for Tesla to get the interconnect paperwork over to my power company... Frustrating, city inspection was done on July 27th.. Contacted Tesla last week and they hadn't even done anything, even after I paid in full a day after the city inspection.

They say it's on the way now though.... It took only 3 weeks from order to installation, and that was the hard part!