Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar installation feasible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Technology could improve and maybe incentives will return, so I'll certainly keep an eye on it.

Mainly to see what others think, imo at least with regards to solar PV the biggest cost reductions have already happened. Prices will tend to be driven by material and installation costs, other energy costs (what price the market can stand) and supply & demand, rather than huge equipment cost reduction.

FIT like schemes are less likely too, because smart meters will eventually produce a two way energy exchange where customers will be able to sell energy that they can't use themselves. As the whole energy market becomes better developed to accommodate sub-micro generation and two way metering I think the opertunities for profiting from optimising domestic PV systems will actually become less. The sooner you take the plunge, the sooner you could start benefiting as long as you make the right design choices. (That's assuming that there is actually any possible benefit to be had in a specific case).

Thanks for all the useful feedback. Having done a few more sums, I think I'll hold off for a while as the payback appears to be relatively poor. I love the idea of it but 10 years (possibly more) isn't great. Technology could improve and maybe incentives will return, so I'll certainly keep an eye on it. Cheers

I had been doing a bit of research on how much a small Pylontech 2000 battery (a very highly regarded modular battery) install would cost me a stumbled across a few hybrid kits offering PV and battery into a hybrid inverter - an example here On-Roof Tile/Slate Mount Hybrid Solar Kits | Plug In Solar - no recommendation on suitability or the company and a big caveat that install is a significant cost if done properly. Looks like for a little over £5k plus install, a 4kW PV with a very useful 4kWh storage capacity is possible - expandable at approx £1k per 2kWh usable. Lots of other options. But just goes to show that you don't need to spend big time on a Powerwall to get a very useful battery storage solution.

For us, 4kWh usable would cover almost a days non charging sunny summers day usage, 6kWh would probably cover a significant number of days between March and October. Being modular, you don't need to pay for what you don't need and, within reason, expand as and when needs/funds allow.

Last edited:
Pylontech 2000 battery
I picked up 2 of these 3 years ago with a SolaX inverter/charger for £2000.

There are things to watch out for. Max discharge rate can be as low as 1kw or so. As I was adding to existing system, worked fine for me. Just focus on if it will earn its keep rather than will it run the whole house.

Inverters often have options for zero permitted export, power shift (charge over night - useful when no Sun) or self use when you just want to charge during day and use as a buffer.

I had been doing a bit of research on how much a small Pylontech 2000 battery (a very highly regarded modular battery) install would cost me a stumbled across a few hybrid kits offering PV and battery into a hybrid inverter - an example here On-Roof Tile/Slate Mount Hybrid Solar Kits | Plug In Solar - no recommendation on suitability or the company and a big caveat that install is a significant cost if done properly. Looks like for a little over £5k plus install, a 4kW PV with a very useful 4kWh storage capacity is possible - expandable at approx £1k per 2kWh usable. Lots of other options. But just goes to show that you don't need to spend big time on a Powerwall to get a very useful battery storage solution.

For us, 4kWh usable would cover almost a days non charging sunny summers day usage, 6kWh would probably cover a significant number of days between March and October. Being modular, you don't need to pay for what you don't need and, within reason, expand as and when needs/funds allow.
Interesting. Makes it more affordable and with a storage option too. I figure installation would be several thousand on top of this but even so, worth considering. Bookmarked - thanks.