Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Powered Tonneau Back Bed Cover

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know when the solar powered tonneau (or back bed cover) will be offered as an option? It would be nice as a retrofit. A lot of people park their trucks outdoors, so this option is perfect for generating a few miles of extra energy each day. I heard it could possibly be up to 15 - 20 miles daily in good sunlight exposure conditions.

I don't expect that it will ever be offered. Rolling it around like the tonneau cover is rough on any electronics/cabling.

And while you may be able to get that much, you have to follow some requirements to do so, like park facing to the North in areas where it is not shaded. And be at specific latitudes to optimize angle.
And since the truck was shortened to fit into a standard garage, they expect a lot to be parked inside.

It ends up being a lot of cost for little payback.

Many people want this option and never park in a garage. I think it would be a really good thing and I want to see it offered. They can work out the issues with testing and new iterations to make it even better and work well if the direction of the truck related to the sun is not ideal.

Many people want this option and never park in a garage. I think it would be a really good thing and I want to see it offered. They can work out the issues with testing and new iterations to make it even better and work well if the direction of the truck related to the sun is not ideal.
You need to review a few courses on how solar panels work. There really is no magic solution, unless the cells can raise and reorient themselves.

Go take a look at the Aptera. They had to design to a ridiculous 0.13 CoD to get their range Vehicle | Aptera

AFAIK, there is absolutely no discussion on providing the feature on the Cybertruck, except you.