Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Production vs Usage Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

I just received permission to turn my system on this morning. I'm noticing some weird behavior. For context, I'm running with Tesla 325W Panels (26 total) and a SolarEdge 7600H Inverter.

When I'm at work and no one is home, my consumption is around 0.7 kwh to 1 kwh. Sometimes as low as 0.3kwh to 0.5kwh.

This morning I turned my system on (it's a cloudy day so production is low) and am noticing weird stuff.The below numbers are based off of what mysolarcity.com is telling me under "power guide."

9AM
  • Consumption: 0.9 kwh
  • Production: 0.7 kwh
10AM
  • Consumption: 1.2 kwh
  • Production: 0.9 kwh
11AM
  • Consumption: 1.5 kwh
  • Production: 1.3 kwh
12PM
  • Consumption: 1.3 kwh
  • Production: 1.1 kwh

Even looking at my real time data as of this post, I'm at 1.3 kwh production and 1.5 kwh consumption. It seems like no matter what, my consumption is always 0.2-0.3 kwh higher than what I'm producing.

Is this normal? Should I give it a couple of days to hopefully correct itself since everything came on for the very first time today?

that depends what you have running in your house, like frigs, fish tank pumps, HVAC, anything that uses a good amount of electricity

Thing is I'm not home though. So aside from my fridge, router, modem, thermostat, nothing else is running which is why I find it strange that my consumption is always 200-300 watts higher than what I'm producing. Like the utility company installed the net meter last Thursday. It was then when MySolarCity began monitoring my electrical usage, so I have a good idea of what I use when I'm not home.

Do you know how your consumption is being monitored? This sounds similar to what happens in Powerwall installs when they misconfigure the Neurio power monitor or hook the Current Transformers to the wrong wires in the panel(s).

Interesting. I'll give Tesla a call then when I get home to see what they think since they should have a few days worth of data prior to turning the system on that monitors what my normal usage is when I'm not home.

When my furnace kicks in, while it's gas the blower is electric, so I see spikes when it starts up, and then it goes back to normal.

Your in NJ, so it's pretty cold, so even if you set your thermostat to 65 during the day, the furnace will kick in to keep it at 65 throughout the day.

When my furnace kicks in, while it's gas the blower is electric, so I see spikes when it starts up, and then it goes back to normal.

Your in NJ, so it's pretty cold, so even if you set your thermostat to 65 during the day, the furnace will kick in to keep it at 65 throughout the day.

Right but I have usage data from Thursday to Monday prior to setting my system live. Why would my consumption all of a sudden double from an average of 0.8kwh to 1.5 kwh when no one is even at my house.

I spoke with Tesla just now. Apparently they still needed to close out my new customer ticket and that was somehow causing bad data to be reported in the monitoring system. They said if things still look off in 48 hours, they'll escalate to technical support.

I'll report back in later this week :)