Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar roof - amazing - crowd mysteriously quiet - awkward

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So Elon is unveiling actual roof tiles which match traditional shingles, Spanish tiles and even slate tiles - trick magic - and the crowd is just all quiet.

This is AMAZING - I thought the Solar roof would simply be a giant black slab instead of a roof.

I personally am dumbfounded because building an attractive roof has always been the challenge - until now there have been almost not solar tiles - and certainly not a whole product line which blends in with traditional roofs.

Does this audience not get how innovative this is?

Hmmm, 15 minutes and Elon is off stage - no Powerwall 2 introduction?

Yes there was an intro of the Powerwall II. It can power a refrigerator and all wall sockets in a 4 bedroom house for a day (I forgot the kw but it was a lot). Price $5,500. The roofs looked great especially the French multi-colored glass tiles. What was missing was the cost of the roof itself.

Last edited:
I think Tesla is using the same model that was successful for the MS and MX; launch a premium solar roof product that competes favorably with other premium roofing products (french tile, slate, etc.). Then in 3-5 years launch a version that is affordable and competes with comp shingle roofs. I think the idea is to make the solar roof compelling for those who can afford it so that it is actually more desirable than other premium roofs.... like the MS vs. Mercedes/Porsche/BMW and then use the revenue to finance the infrastructure to bring the economies of scale down. And damn, what beautiful roofs they were!

In fact, they are so nice that may not need good sun exposure to justify buying them, they are beautiful on their own and power production could just be icing on the cake.

So many questions that need to be answered before I say "wow". Whats' the production per square ft of roof space? What's the cost? Is it eligible for the 30% tax credit? Is this a DC string to inverter (probably) or Micro inverter to AC line. If it's a DC string then shading is a huge issue. If it's a microinverter system then where do those connect? What happens if there is a failure of a panel in the middle of my roof, does the whole roof need to removed or replace the one bad panel? Can it be walked on? What's the warranty? How does it attach?

I think it's neat, cool and it is attractive but to me it's gimmicky and is more an aesthetics thing than anything else. I'm in the process of designing a 10KW system for our property and I wanted to see what this was all about. We have acreage so I'm fortunate to be able to consider a ground mount system. Even if I didn't have that option, I didn't see anything tonight that was compelling for new construction or existing roof replacement and I was considering that for a few of our investment properties when we need to install new roofs. Meh.....

What happened to charger announcement?
If by "charger" you mean "some new kind of Tesla car charger for home use" that was speculation.

"What happened" to it is that it was a rumor that turned out to be wrong.

When reading posts on TMC (or anywhere else) it is advisable to distinguish fact from fiction. There is a lot of fact...but even more fiction (rumors, speculation, fantasy, etc.)

If by "charger" you mean "some new kind of Tesla car charger for home use" that was speculation.

When reading posts on TMC (or anywhere else) it is advisable to distinguish fact from fiction. There is a lot of fact...but even more fiction (rumors, speculation, fantasy, etc.)

From EM himself:

Screen Shot 2016-10-29 at 8.57.11 AM.png

Always defending Tesla & typically wrong...

From the shareholder letter

• October 28th: Product demonstration event to unveil an integrated solar roof with next-generation energy storage and EV charging.

".and EV charging" does not necessarily mean what you assume it means. It appears to me that Elon simply means that with solar and a new Powerwall you can easily charge your Tesla using sunlight.

Elon is saying that the new Tesla Energy products are so compelling from an economic and aesthetic point of view that many people who previously did not consider solar will now want it and then will also be more likely to buy an EV because they now have so much power being generated.

Note that last night Elon said absolutely nothing about a new kind of Tesla home EV charging unit. That's because, as of now, there isn't one.

It seems possible that the Powerwall 2.0 could have a way to plug a Tesla UMC cable into it directly. But since the Powerwall capacity is only a fraction of the vehicle battery capacity, I don't see why that would be a good approach. Maybe the Powerwall 2.0 could include a pass through from the grid but then you have to position the Powerwall within a certain distance of the car. It seems like a separate HPWC charging unit gives you more flexibility in positioning, and they aren't expensive.

Elon is saying that the new Tesla Energy products are so compelling from an economic and aesthetic point of view that many people who previously did not consider solar will now want it and then will also be more likely to buy an EV because they now have so much power being generated.

The solar roof is going to be expensive. Musk is comparing his roof to having no solar because of aesthetics. I think some people are getting the idea that the roof will be considered affordable by the typical homeowner.

Musk's value proposition is that the cost of Tesla solar roof minus electrical saving is less expensive than a new tile or slate roof. That cost is likely far worse than the ROI of adding conventional solar.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18