Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Roof, big price increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same here, My project when up by 12K.
What's crazy, is that their materials are sitting on my driveway. We had to delay install by 2 weeks. In that window of time, prices went up(?).

Grand scheme of things, I could stomach the increase, but on principle it's bad form. Also, there's nothing stopping them from doing it again, nor any guarantee that they'll execute any time soon, even if I agreed to the added cost.

So, faith in something that's supposed to last 20 years, installed by folks who actually do what they say they're going to do, when they say their going to do it... is broken.

Accept the new cost or cancel? I guess they're going to have to come and pick up their stuff.

Very disappointing.

Bright side of all this I guess;
-- A traditional architectural shingle roof ends up being peanuts, compared to this.
-- Looks like that kitchen remodel can be moved up a bit.
-- Technology marches on, getting better, denser, and cheaper.
-- Pretty sure a better opportunity will show up, down the road.

Oh well...
...I tried.

Reactions: Tdreamer
Tesla Energy's profit for 2020 was less than 1%, I think they grossly underpriced solar roof. My roof install was not a month, but it was 1 day tear-down with a sub-contractor, another 4 days roof prep with underlayment, flashings and new roof vents with another sub-contractor. Then 15 to 13 crews for 4 days for the roof and PWs install. I don't see how they can make any money with the old pricing. True, they should consider honoring the contracted price for customers that have signed the purchase agreement, but with the install queue out to at least 6 months, I think it could be more than a few thousand customers on the waiting list. If I were one of the unfortunate ones I would try to work out a compromise if I want the roof, or go with a regular roof and panels, or sue away if so desired.
It sounds like suing isn’t viable unless there are actual damages.

I agree that the number is probably way more than just a few thousand customers at this point. The old pricing was a great deal and only required $100 refundable deposit for a one of a kind product plus the pw option which is virtually unattainable otherwise.

What's crazy, is that their materials are sitting on my driveway. We had to delay install by 2 weeks. In that window of time, prices went up(?).

Grand scheme of things, I could stomach the increase, but on principle it's bad form. Also, there's nothing stopping them from doing it again, nor any guarantee that they'll execute any time soon, even if I agreed to the added cost.

So, faith in something that's supposed to last 20 years, installed by folks who actually do what they say they're going to do, when they say their going to do it... is broken.

Accept the new cost or cancel? I guess they're going to have to come and pick up their stuff.

Very disappointing.

-- A traditional architectural shingle roof ends up being peanuts, compared to this.

Oh well...
...I tried.
That’s a relatively small increase (obviously it’s all relative). If you don’t mind me asking what was your original price?

Very disappointing.

Oh well...
...I tried.
Yeah my install date is in 3 weeks... up $20k and was told last week it wouldn’t go up.
I’m giving Elon and Tesla until the end of the week hopefully the forums, emails and tweets will help them rectify this.

I am confused.

My quote went up by $32,000 (I signed my contract last week) but when I put my house into the Tesla.com configurator, I get a higher rated roof with more Powerwalls for $25k less than the new price they've sent me. Maybe they haven't updated their configurator?
It seems that all the new contracts were repriced into "complex roof" with the estimator defaulting to "moderate roof" unless I'm wrong. The prices generally change after an official design.

I'm curious if anyone had a new contract that did not fall under the "complex roof" tier?

Really would've consider Tesla panels and Powerwalls as alternative to the roof if they provided a better explanation or even a incentive to switch..

Wow this really sucks...

For me price went from ~$50k just after I was given the final estimate after full inspection. To ~$90k with the mass change. I placed an order back in October 2020 and endured a leaky roof all winter (repaired multiple times) & still sustained some damage while waiting for the tesla roof. I even told my account manager this back before I placed the order as timing was a big part of the decision as i would have gotten something else right away 6 months ago. Other guys didn't have 6 month backlogs... If Tesla would have been up front about the pricing, i definitely would have gone with a different option , and not had to deal with leaks, repairs, damage, and then have to go back to the same installers i quoted before and get a new (most definitely higher quote) than 6 months ago.

I'm sure if i added up my bill up it wouldn't be more than $20 or $30k (being optimistic). So probably not worth the cost of lawyering up, but would definitely share some of the deets with a class action. I think the bigger thing is that I'm probably going to do is stop recommending the brand. I went through something similar a few years ago when bought my TM3 and 2 weeks later there was a price change and i could have gotten a white stealth performance for the SAME damn price! I was pissed for weeks, but got over it when they released the acceleration boost. ( I am still a little salty about it tbh) I think Tesla needs to make it right with its core customer base, and offer simple metal roofs with panels on them for the same price quoted prior to price-hike. makes consider placing an order for a Rivian since now i've got the idea the cybertruck might be vaporware too (at those prices/specs)

What I think Tesla should do: Tesla spent $1.5B in February on Bitcoin (today worth 3B$) as a hedge against USD inflation. If rising costs are truly causing it, why not sell ~1% of the bitcoin stash (~30$m?) or however much is needed! and make it right with his customers who placed orders and signed contracts well before they bought the bitcoin.

Reactions: VaNick
I've filed a complaint to SEIA by emailing [email protected]

Not sure how helpful it will be, but I'll update if anything comes out of it.

A reminder this was part of our purchase disclosure forms:

SEIA Solar Business Code
Provider DOES abide by and agrees to be bound by SEIA’s Solar Business Code and its complaint resolution process. For more information about the SEIA Solar Business Code and complaint resolution process, please visit Consumer Protection | SEIA

Business code: SEIA Solar Business Code | SEIA

Business codes that Tesla is potentially breaking:

3. ADVERTISING​

Claims should be accurate, easily understandable and based on facts.​

3.5 Prices quoted must be accurate and complete, covering all products or services offered or requested, with prices for optional or additional products or services clearly identified as such, with payment terms clearly stated, and with the period of availability of the quoted prices specified.
3.7 If estimated prices, whether denominated as “estimated,” “suggested,” “prospective,” or other similar term, are presented to a Consumer, must be reasonably based on the information the Company possesses. Additionally, they should be clearly disclosed or labeled as estimates or similar terms.
3.8 Comparisons of current pricing, contract terms, products or services must not be misleading, and must include all relevant facts to fully understand the pricing, terms, products or services being compared.

4. SALES AND MARKETING INTERACTIONS​

Companies must respect consumer privacy.​

4.7 Companies shall not harass, threaten, or badger Consumers.
4.8 Companies should avoid high-pressure sales techniques.
4.10 Companies should consider a Consumer’s capacity to understand the terms and ramifications of a contract before entering into such contract.

5. CONTRACTS​

Contract terms should reflect verbal representations.​

5.1 Companies shall ensure that written contract terms and verbal representations do not conflict.

Contracts should be clear and understandable to Consumers.​

5.3 Contracts must be written in legible font and in clear language, be structured in a way that is easy to understand, and avoid unclear or deceptive spacing or layout.
5.4 Material terms should be prominently placed in the contract and not hidden in non-obvious portions of the contract.
5.5 Companies must list any applicable costs or the method for calculating applicable costs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tdreamer and VaNick
I've filed a complaint to SEIA by emailing [email protected]

Not sure how helpful it will be, but I'll update if anything comes out of it.

A reminder this was part of our purchase disclosure forms:

SEIA Solar Business Code
Provider DOES abide by and agrees to be bound by SEIA’s Solar Business Code and its complaint resolution process. For more information about the SEIA Solar Business Code and complaint resolution process, please visit Consumer Protection | SEIA

Business code: SEIA Solar Business Code | SEIA
I did the same on Monday. I also filled out a Consumer Protections Complaint form with MA State Attorney General's office. MA is pretty progressive about consumer protections, and has a lot of recently announced Green Energy goals, so I suspect they won't like this behavior toward instilling confidence for consumers. I'll probably wait a week or so to give Tesla a chance to do anything to rectify, but I've already got my new solar and shingle roofing quotes now. Seems local solar installers using same equipment as Tesla (QCell G6+ and Solar Edge) are ~$5k more - curious if anyone's had luck in closing the gap. I can't bring myself to pay Tesla anything after this.

I never recived an email about a price increase of my solar roof project, just one saying that I had new documents to accept in my account,
Upon gonig into my account I found that my projects net price was increased from $46k to $81k !

When I called to speak to my Project Manager it was intercepted by someone that was obviouley trained to handle these calls. She stated that Tesla had the right to raise the price for "unforseen circumstances ", as decribed in Section 2 of the purchase agreement that I had signed. And, by signing the contract I had agreed that Tesla's arbritration agent would handle any disputes. At the end of the call she asked if I would like to cancel my order and if there was anything else she could help me with. sic

I have spent $5,000 for tree removal, prepped the location for the Power Walls, had the onsite inspection and have been notified of all requied aprovals.
My project Manager had said that installation would probably begin in April so I was expecting to be notified of the start date not a 43% price increase.

What a terrible PR move. by Tesla. They are going to lose me, my family and many others as customers because of they way they have mishandled this situation.

I am really stunned that Tesla will not honor their exisitng contracts. they should quickly reconside doing so.

I never recived an email about a price increase of my solar roof project, just one saying that I had new documents to accept in my account,
Upon gonig into my account I found that my projects net price was increased from $46k to $81k !

When I called to speak to my Project Manager it was intercepted by someone that was obviouley trained to handle these calls. She stated that Tesla had the right to raise the price for "unforseen circumstances ", as decribed in Section 2 of the purchase agreement that I had signed. And, by signing the contract I had agreed that Tesla's arbritration agent would handle any disputes. At the end of the call she asked if I would like to cancel my order and if there was anything else she could help me with. sic

I have spent $5,000 for tree removal, prepped the location for the Power Walls, had the onsite inspection and have been notified of all requied aprovals.
My project Manager had said that installation would probably begin in April so I was expecting to be notified of the start date not a 43% price increase.

What a terrible PR move. by Tesla. They are going to lose me, my family and many others as customers because of they way they have mishandled this situation.

I am really stunned that Tesla will not honor their exisitng contracts. they should quickly reconside doing so.
Same boat here... I got told last week I would be good because I have a scheduled install date... Then I guess Saturday they decided not to honor that.

I've taken to Twitter, and the Solar Industry Association too. And I really hate that I have to I love Tesla, even with its small issues (TM3 owner here), but this is beyond what I'd ever expect... Hopefully if enough of us speak out we can get them to at least honor the contracts they signed...

I did the same on Monday. I also filled out a Consumer Protections Complaint form with MA State Attorney General's office. MA is pretty progressive about consumer protections, and has a lot of recently announced Green Energy goals, so I suspect they won't like this behavior toward instilling confidence for consumers. I'll probably wait a week or so to give Tesla a chance to do anything to rectify, but I've already got my new solar and shingle roofing quotes now. Seems local solar installers using same equipment as Tesla (QCell G6+ and Solar Edge) are ~$5k more - curious if anyone's had luck in closing the gap. I can't bring myself to pay Tesla anything after this.
Just sent one too... Taking to Twitter as well.

I haven't gone through a solar purchase with Tesla, after you sign do they provide you with a copy of the contract that has been signed by Tesla? I've always wondered that if in situations like this the company won't actually sign the contract on their side until they are ready to commit, but they have your signature to hold you to it if they want to.
Yes sir. It if first signed by the customer and then Telsa countersigns and send you a fully executed version.

I agree they should honor their existing contracts.

However don't take this the wrong way but I just had a 22kW system with a half dozen powerwalls installed I would qualify as a medium install since I have a small front porch roof in addition to the main roof.

They had Tesla employees (not third party contractors) on site for twelve days and there were 10 to 18 guys here every day. Do some math with an average of 12 guys multiplied by $25 per hour equals $300 per hour labor. Factor a 10 hour day since they apparently get paid all the way to the shop which is an hour from here equals $3,000 per day. Multiply that times 12 days and your labor cost is $36,000 to install the system. That is not soft money....that is hard dollars. And my estimate of $25 per person is probably low since I am averaging roofers, supervisors, and electricians to get that number even though their salaries are far different.

Tear off of the existing roof was 5 days.
New roof install was 7 days.
Electrical was two days within the 7 above

The bigger issue here is how do they reduce the amount of effort that goes into installing a solar roof. It seems to have taken 3 or 4 days to install 90% and three or so days to install the remaining 10%. The slow down as I see it is the intricate cutting of metal for the edges.

I am also an M3 owner and have previously been a big fan of Tesla, but Tesla Energy's treatment of its solar roof customers is just atrocious. I submitted a "tip" to the NY Times tipline about this situation. Hopefully, they will have interest in the story given Tesla's high profile. Feel free to contribute a tip as well using the link below.

Tips

I’m in a similar situation. In June of 2020 I had my first signed contract. After the site inspection and emails from my account representative, I’ve removed wall-mounted shelving units and trees from my property. As of 3/20/2021 my most recent prior contract after the site visit, the quote was 71k. Now it is $146k one month later! I understand that Tesla may need to re-price the product, but this is a terrible way to treat their customers that have signed contracts.

However don't take this the wrong way but I just had a 22kW system with a half dozen powerwalls installed I would qualify as a medium install since I have a small front porch roof in addition to the main roof.

They had Tesla employees (not third party contractors) on site for twelve days and there were 10 to 18 guys here every day. Do some math with an average of 12 guys multiplied by $25 per hour equals $300 per hour labor. Factor a 10 hour day since they apparently get paid all the way to the shop which is an hour from here equals $3,000 per day. Multiply that times 12 days and your labor cost is $36,000 to install the system. That is not soft money....that is hard dollars. And my estimate of $25 per person is probably low since I am averaging roofers, supervisors, and electricians to get that number even though their salaries are far different.

The bigger issue here is how do they reduce the amount of effort that goes into installing a solar roof. It seems to have taken 3 or 4 days to install 90% and three or so days to install the remaining 10%. The slow down as I see it is the intricate cutting of metal for the edges.
Completely understand, and I think we all assume their reasoning. Though this is more on the culture of the company, built upon word of mouth and customers spreading the world. Solar roofs, from what I can see here were mostly loyal recurring Tesla customers.

Can they do it? Sure. We can all cancel, but lots of us have been excited, invested, or deferred other options specifically for this.

I'm sending my rep an e-mail today to tell her I hope they reconsider as we look for other options.

Overall, more disappointed in them especially in a time where so many companies are screwing their customers and employees. Tesla seemed like the model.

I get that the math on labor isn't working out the way they thought. They made the choice to be aggressive in pricing, business model, etc. There are many industries that have previously operated at razor thin or negative margins to gain market share and credibility at least initially. That doesn't mean you tear up existing contracts. I think a company with a $650B market cap can afford to do right by customers for their screw up. This went from being my entry point to Tesla as a brand to actively campaigning against them for a long time.

So far it seems I made it under the bar before the price change. Early Monday morning (4/12), as I was reading this forum and learning of the weekend price increases people were getting, the delivery truck showed up and dropped all the materials for prepping my roof. Later that day a Tesla tech showed up and flew a drone over my house to get a few better measurements.

Roof tear off happened yesterday with the start of overlay/sealing. They will be arriving in a few minutes to finish that today and my solar roofing will start going up tomorrow with expected completion either late Friday or early Saturday. This is inclusive of all the electrical besides the PWs. The PWs will be installed in 1-4 weeks, depending on scheduling.

I've been watching for an email and refreshing my Tesla account, dreading the price jump but it seems so far I'm locked in to the agreed contract price of $63.2k (before rebates and ITC, $49.5k after those). I signed a first contract in August 2020, then revised ones in Feb and on April 5th after I increased the design kW.

I'm doing a 12.8 kW system with two PW. My roof is very friendly to this type of install: ~2800 sqft, 5 flat planes of roofing with no gables/dormers and the usual number of chimneys and vent pipes. Also the roof pitch is shallow making it easy to work on. The tech said the guys loved my roof as they had just finished a steep one that had them hanging by harness ropes for most of the work.

To me it seems clear that Tesla was getting crushed on complicated installs because their estimation of the labor involved was way too simplistic. It probably goes back to the web design team that wanted the online ordering to be simple and easy looking. Jobs like mine probably still leave them a nice profit margin.

Keeping my fingers crossed that there are no surprises in store.