Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Roof, big price increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a solar roof with 4 powerwalls 4for $130k in July 2020. 9 months later, after all permits were approved, they raised the price by $50k! WTF!? Even with a signed contract they said I had to pay the additional cost because... they felt like it?
After 9 months of waiting and hoping, I had to cancel (I did check my pockets to see if I had an extra $50k, but no luck). Design was the the same, absolutely no changes.... FU Tesla, and I'm a stockholder as well as having one of the first MY Performance delivered in GA (March 2020).

I ordered a solar roof with 4 powerwalls 4for $130k in July 2020. 9 months later, after all permits were approved, they raised the price by $50k! WTF!? Even with a signed contract they said I had to pay the additional cost because... they felt like it?
After 9 months of waiting and hoping, I had to cancel (I did check my pockets to see if I had an extra $50k, but no luck). Design was the the same, absolutely no changes.... FU Tesla, and I'm a stockholder as well as having one of the first MY Performance delivered in GA (March 2020).
what does this have to do with this thread? There already is one to talk about the price increase

(moderator note: referenced post moved to solar roof price increase discussion thread, as well as this post)

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Disagree
Reactions: FlatSix911
Question regarding someone in my position: my original contract was signed in early Jan and confirmed via emails that price wouldn’t increase in terms of per sq ft and kWh. I finally got my design yesterday with the price increase. I don’t see a way to review/approve the design without also approving the new contract. I have asked my advisor how to discuss design separately from contract price due to all the pricing changes etc. Do they just have me stuck in a position where I can’t move fwd without design approval but not allowing me to approve design unless I approve new price?

Question regarding someone in my position: my original contract was signed in early Jan and confirmed via emails that price wouldn’t increase in terms of per sq ft and kWh. I finally got my design yesterday with the price increase. I don’t see a way to review/approve the design without also approving the new contract. I have asked my advisor how to discuss design separately from contract price due to all the pricing changes etc. Do they just have me stuck in a position where I can’t move fwd without design approval but not allowing me to approve design unless I approve new price?
I'm afraid that your emails from Jan may be moot. There's a bunch of people in here that were assured weeks and months prior that that price would be the price, only to later be told that 'it's over their head' and they can't do anything about it. You are probably in a similar spot as many of us that they said and wrote one thing, then changed it later, and don't intend to honor any of the words unless people take them to arbitration (or court if you opted out). Not sure if you saw my post a page back, but if you approve their new agreement, the language has changed such that they can change the price more easily in the future with little/no justification.

I'm afraid that your emails from Jan may be moot. There's a bunch of people in here that were assured weeks and months prior that that price would be the price, only to later be told that 'it's over their head' and they can't do anything about it. You are probably in a similar spot as many of us that they said and wrote one thing, then changed it later, and don't intend to honor any of the words unless people take them to arbitration (or court if you opted out). Not sure if you saw my post a page back, but if you approve their new agreement, the language has changed such that they can change the price more easily in the future with little/no justification.
Correct I understand. Was mostly asking if anyone was able to approve a design without signing new contract? I thought they would be separate items but the only option they gave me to move fwd was to approve both with one-click.

Correct I understand. Was mostly asking if anyone was able to approve a design without signing new contract? I thought they would be separate items but the only option they gave me to move fwd was to approve both with one-click.
Oh I see. Someone else will need to speak up as I've only ever received new designs via links within their system. You might luck out and have a project manager that will send it to you separately.

My guess is you are going to be in a difficult situation given you did not have an approved design (which potentially makes it easier for them to speak about unforeseen changes) even though you do indicate emails from Tesla state that the rates would be unchanged. What legal significance they have might depend on the exact wording and potentially when they were made relative to signing the contract.

You probably won't be able to approve one without the other through the site. I would think your best option would be to email your project advisor indicating you approve the design but do not agree to the new contract. That would likely leave your contract in limbo like some of the others. Maybe Tesla will eventually proceed, and maybe you will have to pursue arbitration and see what can be made of the emailed commitments you received.

My guess is you are going to be in a difficult situation given you did not have an approved design (which potentially makes it easier for them to speak about unforeseen changes) even though you do indicate emails from Tesla state that the rates would be unchanged. What legal significance they have might depend on the exact wording and potentially when they were made relative to signing the contract.

You probably won't be able to approve one without the other through the site. I would think your best option would be to email your project advisor indicating you approve the design but do not agree to the new contract. That would likely leave your contract in limbo like some of the others. Maybe Tesla will eventually proceed, and maybe you will have to pursue arbitration and see what can be made of the emailed commitments you received.
This is what I’m attempting to do now. Thanks for this.

I had an earlier post on page 14 about just getting under the wire on the price (they started my job the Monday after the price increases). The original pricing has held in my case and the roof is nearly finished, the dumpster just left today. I've heard (please take this as hearsay for now, don't want to get anyone in trouble) that management has reversed course. I was told that signed contracts will be honored. Please update if you get a call or new contract terms.

I had an earlier post on page 14 about just getting under the wire on the price (they started my job the Monday after the price increases). The original pricing has held in my case and the roof is nearly finished, the dumpster just left today. I've heard (please take this as hearsay for now, don't want to get anyone in trouble) that management has reversed course. I was told that signed contracts will be honored. Please update if you get a call or new contract terms.
That is potentially great news for those that had scheduled install dates. Unfortunately I was ~1 year after inspection/signing and still didn't have a scheduled install date.

Well this just gets richer and richer. After them telling me ~5 weeks ago that they needed to do another site inspection (apparently the one last May expired), I wasn't actually sure if they would show up today, but they did. I was kind to him, he was aware about the price increases and he thought it was "unfortunate." He finished inspected and said he'd submit his notes to my project manager (which I still haven't heard from in weeks). Just got the updated quote and it appears they held the 27% increase from $41k to $52k, but added in an additional $7200 for "Roof Deck Replacement" so now almost $60k (~45% increase). We do not have a roof deck. I assume this may be for replacing all the plywood? Our roof is 2332 sq ft, so I won't debate if that is an appropriate amount, but leaves more questions than answers. Is it the entire roof of plywood, or just the ones needed? Does this replace the question during contracting about potentially spending 'up to $5,000 at time of installation for repairs' or is that still at play? Yeesh.
The plot thickens: I just got an email offering a free Powerwall. Up until the post above, I probably would have considered it. To recap, I'm going from $41k to $52k, but then they added another $7k for roof decking. There are some decent incentives here in MA through the Connected Solutions program for having a battery, but....am I totally getting taken for a ride regarding an extra $7k for plywood? It could be signs the pressure could be working, though I've heard nothing back from the AGO or FTC.

• Informative
I am curious about what everyone is doing. My price went from 40k to 58K. I sent an email to tesla stating this Is a breach of contract and I have to move forward in a legal matter if this is not addressed. I received an email from TESLA stating they will give me a free power wall. Unfortunately, things don't work like that. I have a construction loan with was approved and funded for the roof of 40k. I cannot just ask the bank for more money because TESLA requires it. I have to take another loan, pay closing costs, etc for this. At this point, my house is being built without a roof because I was confident TESLA would never play games. So with that said, did tesla hold up anyone's initials price? Is it worth waiting at this point? Should I just hire legal counsel and move in that course? Love to hear everyone's thoughts!

Thank you!

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
The plot thickens: I just got an email offering a free Powerwall. Up until the post above, I probably would have considered it. To recap, I'm going from $41k to $52k, but then they added another $7k for roof decking. There are some decent incentives here in MA through the Connected Solutions program for having a battery, but....am I totally getting taken for a ride regarding an extra $7k for plywood? It could be signs the pressure could be working, though I've heard nothing back from the AGO or FTC.
Plywood is crazy expensive right now. So could be legit.

• Funny
I am curious about what everyone is doing. My price went from 40k to 58K. I sent an email to tesla stating this Is a breach of contract and I have to move forward in a legal matter if this is not addressed. I received an email from TESLA stating they will give me a free power wall. Unfortunately, things don't work like that. I have a construction loan with was approved and funded for the roof of 40k. I cannot just ask the bank for more money because TESLA requires it. I have to take another loan, pay closing costs, etc for this. At this point, my house is being built without a roof because I was confident TESLA would never play games. So with that said, did tesla hold up anyone's initials price? Is it worth waiting at this point? Should I just hire legal counsel and move in that course? Love to hear everyone's thoughts!

Thank you!
I’ve seen a couple people state Tesla just moved fwd with their installs and honored original price. Not many though but it’s early in the game.
I just got the free powerwall email as well but on a project going from $56k to $102k...not gonna bite. I’m just going to wait it out and see what happens.

Reactions: jerin2k87
Plywood is crazy expensive right now. So could be legit.
I’ve seen recent national news stories saying this. Here’s a few stories I’ve seen:

ABC network (Arkansas)

CBS network (Wisconsin):

NBC Network (Oregon):

Same story all over the country.

I’ve seen recent national news stories saying this. Here’s a few stories I’ve seen:

ABC network (Arkansas)

CBS network (Wisconsin):

NBC Network (Oregon):

Same story all over the country.
I get it that plywood is expensive. My other roofing quotes are usually first couple sheets free and $5/sq ft after. Tesla seems to just assuming the entire deck needs redone. None of the 3 other roofers has said anything close to that.

I got the free powerwall offer last night. My initial excitement was deflated. I thought they were telling me they were honoring the original contract. 1 powerwall is useless since I would need 4.
As far as plywood is concerned, that argument is silly. My price went up $35,000, so plywood wood have to be 5-10k a sheet.

I got the free powerwall offer last night. My initial excitement was deflated. I thought they were telling me they were honoring the original contract. 1 powerwall is useless since I would need 4.
As far as plywood is concerned, that argument is silly. My price went up $35,000, so plywood wood have to be 5-10k a sheet.
The previous poster was specifically asking about a $7k increase for roof decking. Wasn’t referring to the total increase due to plywood.