Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar roof out of MA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, let's see what we've got from the "respected" news outlets... Ah yes, CNBC...

Easy one here, let's bash Tesla's solar roof - no need to publish this now, but it's an easy smear, some really nice negativity being spun. Note how they don't say how much a new roof of non-Tesla tiles would have cost - maybe was the same, maybe cost more, not stated. Also they talk about a summer power bill, without looking at savings all-year or specifying the periodicity of the bill(s):

Tesla's customers are paying a premium for the tile's sleek look. Huynh's roof cost him about $100,000, though he did need to replace his roof anyway.

"I don't think this will ever pay for itself honestly," he said.

For people who don't need a new roof but want to install solar energy, traditional panels are definitely cheaper.

But Huynh is excited to be an early adopter and see his energy bill decrease.

"Traditionally in the summer my power bill is around $400, $450 in the summer. My last bill was only $40," he said.

And how about this gem - how about they compare with the time it would take to change the tiled roof and then add solar panels?

While traditional solar panels can be installed in a day, it took a team of 10 to 15 workers two weeks to install this roof.

upload_2018-9-24_13-34-32.png

Last edited:
Tesla's customers are paying a premium for the tile's sleek look. Huynh's roof cost him about $100,000, though he did need to replace his roof anyway.

BTW., if the property is premium category then it will probably earn back more than that price the next time it's sold.

There's a large clientele who doesn't really care about a monthly electricity bill of $400, finds solar panels ugly, but wants green, eco-friendly street cred in the community.

There's a large clientele who doesn't really care about a monthly electricity bill of $400, finds solar panels ugly, but wants green, eco-friendly street cred in the community.

Also there are people (like me) who really want a solar roof, but dont want the noise, inconvenience and hassle of having one installed while I live somewhere.

So, let's see what we've got from the "respected" news outlets... Ah yes, CNBC...

Easy one here, let's bash Tesla's solar roof - no need to publish this now, but it's an easy smear, some really nice negativity being spun. Note how they don't say how much a new roof of non-Tesla tiles would have cost - maybe was the same, maybe cost more, not stated. Also they talk about a summer power bill, without looking at savings all-year or specifying the periodicity of the bill(s):

For people who don't need a new roof but want to install solar energy, traditional panels are definitely cheaper.

But Huynh is excited to be an early adopter and see his energy bill decrease.

"Traditionally in the summer my power bill is around $400, $450 in the summer. My last bill was only $40," he said.

And how about this gem - how about they compare with the time it would take to change the tiled roof and then add solar panels?

While traditional solar panels can be installed in a day, it took a team of 10 to 15 workers two weeks to install this roof.

View attachment 337680

To be honest, the headline is absolutely true: solar roofs installations are almost nonexistent, there is mandatory radio silence and we don't have any news whatsoever on GF2. I get that they are focused on M3 but any critic to Tesla Solar is earned and deserved. Funny thing is even bears don't talk about it.

To be honest, the headline is absolutely true: solar roofs installations are almost nonexistent, there is mandatory radio silence and we don't have any news whatsoever on GF2. I get that they are focused on M3 but any critic to Tesla Solar is earned and deserved. Funny thing is even bears don't talk about it.

I personally expect Tesla Solar / GF2 to be the biggest recipient of cash influx from profitability in Q4. They have obligations to meet, it's not yet come time for large amounts of money to be pumped into GF3, and Y and Semi won't become expensive until it comes time for tooling. The Supercharger network also needs increased funding for expansion, but that's not going to be as expensive as scaling up GF2.

I personally expect Tesla Solar / GF2 to be the biggest recipient of cash influx from profitability in Q4. They have obligations to meet, and it's not yet come time for large amounts of money to be pumped into GF3, and Y and Semi won't become expensive until it comes time for tooling. The Supercharger network also needs increased funding for expansion, but that's not going to be as expensive as scaling up GF2.

I hope so: the sooner the better. Tesla can absorb internally the whole production of its solar cells... with SC network and GF1 roof to cover.
Regarding Solar Roof, I didn't remember how much they are late, but it's ~18 months:

Availability
Customers may place an order for Solar Roof today on the Tesla website. Installations of Solar Roof will begin in the U.S. this summer and we expect installations outside the U.S. to begin in 2018.​

Source:
Solar Roof

• Informative
Reactions: bdy0627
That's a very good point, one of the big selling points of premium roof window maker Velux is hail resistance of their products:

Which they follow through with long-term hail storm damage warranty included with premium glass installations.

Hail damage can be particularly problematic for solar installations:

14486399993_2bfce845cf.jpg

But hail can damage high quality ceramic roof tiles as well.

While obviously you can always buy separate insurance, insurance usually does not cover full re-roofing of roofs done 10-20 years ago if the tiles cannot be perfectly color-matched.

So it's generally considered a plus if premium roof products are very robust physically and if the maker of the product is willing to offer a warranty to back up those claims of robustness.

Half of my roof is solar panels. About 1 year ago a hailstorm damaged all the roofs in my area. My solar panels showed no damage. Insurance paid for the new roof and the removal and reinstall of the solar panels. I suspect ceramic roof tiles would provide a long-term cost benefit for hail prone areas.

Half of my roof is solar panels. About 1 year ago a hailstorm damaged all the roofs in my area. My solar panels showed no damage. Insurance paid for the new roof and the removal and reinstall of the solar panels. I suspect ceramic roof tiles would provide a long-term cost benefit for hail prone areas.
Are you using Micro inverters or optimizers to individually monitor each panel?
Are you sure no panels were damaged? (My PV was installed in May, 1999, 1.36kW ASi !!)

Agreed, but why dredge it up RIGHT NOW; and why spin the content so negatively?

At one point it was “Tesla will never make money on premium electric cars”.
So I respectfully disagree with your statement
Yes totally understand. My comment was sarcastic. This "news" was put out since media, big oil,or whomever in interested in spinning negativity to Tesla is running out of things to do so they bring up old news.

news is not exciting apparently if it is saying something positive about Tesla. If some entity company or conglomeration that benefits When negative Tesla news comes out then that is their de facto business to put out negative news for Tesla.

Tesla's business and mission is to change the Paradigm of transportation and energy. It is not a news company...

Reactions: neroden
Are you using Micro inverters or optimizers to individually monitor each panel?
Are you sure no panels were damaged? (My PV was installed in May, 1999, 1.36kW ASi !!)
No damage from hail. I have a combination of Solar City panels (5 years old) and an older Real Goods PV system (10 years old). None of the panels had any visible hail damage. I do not know the specifics on the system at this point. The older system did have one bad panel from squirrels eating through the wiring for a nest (that was made years ago). The re-install included critter guards.

Sounds fair to me. Like solar roads, I don't see much need for solar roofs....at least while it's still absurdly expensive. Tesla is selling perfectly delightful 22% efficient panels out of the Buffalo GF today, lets just focus on getting standard rooftop installs back on track in the US.