Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar ROOF scheduled for installation!! NCal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you! I wonder if they will really stick to their 5 day schedule:
Day 1: tear off
Day 2: dry in
Day 3: solar roof install
Day 4: powerwalls install
Day 5: wrap up
That is really fast. They have gotten the process down!

We were one of the first 100 installs and everyone was learning. Ours took about 3 weeks of labor and about 6 weeks of times thanks to Covid. Here is our installation story if you are interested.

Thanks, you sent that to me a few months ago. Actually re-read this morning already :)
Id be surprised if they could actually keep to that schedule. My roof has no plywood so it all has to be added. That seems like a whole day of work itself.
Sorry, I forgot I sent it.

I bet the plywood is going to take some time. We had plywood, but they rehammered every nail down or if questionable shot new nails. That took almost a day and was very noisy.

Anyway, I can wait to see pictures of your install.

Thank you! I wonder if they will really stick to their 5 day schedule:
Day 1: tear off
Day 2: dry in
Day 3: solar roof install
Day 4: powerwalls install
Day 5: wrap up
Congrats! The tear off took 1 day with a crew of 3 contractors, dry in took 2 days with a crew of 4 contractors for they had to do the underlayment, replace the roof vents with those black ones and all the flashings. Solar roof took 3 days with a crew of 12 Tesla guys, they moved some of the tiles onto the roof using a huge truck with conveyer belt and remaining of the tiles from the front of the house to my side/backyard on day one. Pounding started after that and continued for 2 more days. Wrap up took 2 more days with a crew of 4 Tesla guys, that included touch up and cleanup. Another day of cleanup with 2 Tesla guys to waterproof some of the flashings connection to the stucco of the house and painting the conduit. My PWs were actually installed a week before the roof was installed, 3 guys came and finished it in 5 hours.

I have the required plywood so no idea how much extra time for that, did they include the cost in your estimate? As I remember vaguely it was quite expensive if I had needed it.

If you are replacing your rain gutters, try to schedule it after roof/electrical inspection. And also check the driveway and surroundings yourself to make sure no sharp objects left behind after the installation. I found at least 2 dozens of screws around the house, some off the driveway onto the street and some on my rear deck.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
I remember asking about the plywood during the site visit. She said that "should" be included in the contracted price. Now im a little concerned because its not specifically in writing. i guess I'll see on day one. Got a revised timeline that says they'll finish the following monday. Do they work over the weekend? We are going out of town that Friday and returning Sunday.

I remember asking about the plywood during the site visit. She said that "should" be included in the contracted price. Now im a little concerned because its not specifically in writing. i guess I'll see on day one. Got a revised timeline that says they'll finish the following monday. Do they work over the weekend? We are going out of town that Friday and returning Sunday.
Pricing on solar roof now and a year ago is a little different and higher so roof decking may be included especially it was mentioned already. They told me I need new roof decking after the tear off because they need ½ inch plywood, so it was going to cost me 8500.00 extra. I was curious so I went out to my rear deck which has easy access to the back roof and measured the plywood thickness, I already have ½ plywood and I took some pictures and sent them to my advisor. They sent out a contractor to check it the same day and confirm I was correct and they changed the newly added pre-construction line item from 8500.00 to 1300.00 which included permitting and misc items though my advisor previously told me permitting is included. The tear-off contractor did work on weekend to clean up and remove debris. But Tesla crew is different, on my first day of moving tiles to the roof and side/backyard and start of install was on a Friday, they did not come back until the following Monday morning, so no work on weekend. Also, plan to leave any car you plan to use out of the garage and driveway and preferably some distance away. My driveway and surrounding curb area on the street was roped off with construction tapes and warnings for a few days, not to mention there were around 5 Tesla Energy vans parked and triple parked in front of my house during those few days.

Reactions: Eric99
If your team is using regular or galvanized nails, this can be a real help.

All the best,

BG
The team we had had 2 or 3 of these and swept the area every day. I borrowed them several nights and still picked up quite a few screws. I also ended up with a box full of extra solar connectors. Oh, and importantly, a solar tile signed by the entire crew!

Reactions: BGbreeder
No one worked on our installs on the weekend except the gutter contractor. Back then the price included new gutters. We had one of those Pineapple Express storms in the middle of construction and it pulled a partially installed gutter down. The contractor came over on Saturday evening to make a temp fix and get the water off the windows, and back on Sunday morning to finish it.

Speaking of gutters. If your gutters need any repairs or replacement, do it now and have them install gutter guards. We have multiple levels of gutters. And when we had guards installed a few months back and they were very hesitant to go on the solarroof, and would not be held responsible for breaking any of the tiles.

Forgot to mention, no one from tesla has shown up yet. I was expecting a project manager to be onsite initially. The roofers seem to be doing their thing. Showed up at 6:30 and waited til 8:00 to start working.
I never had anyone from Tesla on site for the tear off. 3rd party. And the PM from Tesla would just show up at various stages, so not on site.

Reactions: Eric99