Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SolarCity Home Gateway needed anymore?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was told by the Tesla tech (and SolarEdge) that the gateway (that’s plugged into your router) is what the inverter talks to and how Tesla or SolarEdge would talk to it if you want them to diagnose anything.

I’d recommend not disconnecting it. Yes, the PW gateway measures the current flows, but the inverter is not connected to anything for external access without the ‘other’ gateway available.

(Note that mine is the Neo gateway, the black flat thin box. Plugs directly into your router or switch.)

When Tesla installed my Solar Roof they didn't give me a Home Gateway. I wound up buying one off eBay because I wanted to figure out how it communicates with the inverters, hoping I can get per-MPPT data rather than just the aggregate numbers the Tesla Energy Gateway provides (still working on that part, unfortunately). Within a few days of plugging in the Home Gateway both of my Delta Solivia inverters took firmware updates, and a few days later Tesla called me to check on the performance of the system. The latter may have been a coincidence, but the former was surely because of the Home Gateway since the inverters would otherwise have no way of communicating with the outside world.

Now I don't know exactly what came with that firmware update, maybe it's meaningless, and maybe there will never be another one. But there are at least some things possible with the Home Gateway that wouldn't be possible without it.

Does anyone know if they do firmware updates over this gen 2 gateway for the Solar Edge Inverter? According to my SolarEdge screen, I'm on

CPU v3.2173
DSP1 v1.0000
DSP2 v2.0000

But according to this site, their latest update as of Oct 9th is:

CPU v3.2525
DSP1 v1.0.756
DSP2 v2.0.704

Curious how we make sure our SolarEdge (mine is the HD3000) is up to date?

Source = Firmware Updates for Inverters with Display | SolarEdge | A World Leader in Smart Energy

Does anyone know if they do firmware updates over this gen 2 gateway for the Solar Edge Inverter? According to my SolarEdge screen, I'm on

CPU v3.2173
DSP1 v1.0000
DSP2 v2.0000

But according to this site, their latest update as of Oct 9th is:

CPU v3.2525
DSP1 v1.0.756
DSP2 v2.0.704

Curious how we make sure our SolarEdge (mine is the HD3000) is up to date?

Source = Firmware Updates for Inverters with Display | SolarEdge | A World Leader in Smart Energy
I was told no the last time Tesla was here. They have a firmware chip (USB-ish, but not, I believe) they insert in the SE inverters and upload to it.

They update the inverter FW on each visit as a matter of course but I think all you get is bug fixes and bells and whistles. Not major changes like Tesla cars get, unfortunately.

Don’t believe it has the capability for remote upload. Or if it does, they don’t use it because if it fails there’s no one to fix it nearby.

And which ‘gateway’ are you talking about? This thread is about the box plugged into the router, not the TEG PW gateway (which also has a ‘gen 2’, just to be clear).

Really be nice if everyone hadn’t assume they could use ‘gateway’ for their box. :D

And which ‘gateway’ are you talking about? This thread is about the box plugged into the router, not the TEG PW gateway (which also has a ‘gen 2’, just to be clear).

Really be nice if everyone hadn’t assume they could use ‘gateway’ for their box. :D

I have the Xe2 gateway in addition to the TEG. Tesla installed them both.

source = Troubleshooting Your Gateway | Tesla Support

I have the Xe2 gateway in addition to the TEG. Tesla installed them both.

source = Troubleshooting Your Gateway | Tesla Support
Right, as I said way above, the SE ‘gateway’ is needed for access by SolarEdge.

And I can’t tell from that support page which is which. If you click on the links they go to different detail pages.

Is the flat black one the Neo or Xe2? Jeez, Tesla. I assume Neo is the black one from the detail pages?

I have Delta 5.2TL’s and the Solarcity Neo gateway. Tesla Energy is able to do remote firmware updates of the inverters with the gateway, they had to do it for me once to correct an issue I had with inverters going offline sporadically.

I have Delta 5.2TL’s and the Solarcity Neo gateway. Tesla Energy is able to do remote firmware updates of the inverters with the gateway, they had to do it for me once to correct an issue I had with inverters going offline sporadically.
Interesting, thanks. Perhaps they do do it when the issue is worth the risk. For me, they have never done anything except make an appointment too many weeks out. Then the onsite tech has the 'firmware key' for the current update.

Interesting, thanks. Perhaps they do do it when the issue is worth the risk. For me, they have never done anything except make an appointment too many weeks out. Then the onsite tech has the 'firmware key' for the current update.

Do you have Delta or SolarEdge? It’s possible they can remotely update one but not the other. I know for a fact they can do OTA updates for Delta.