Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SolarCity (SCTY)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Solarcity has a central operations office in Vegas where a lot of the design, monitoring, scheduling etc takes place. That's why there are already employees there. There are videos on there Vimeo with more info, but I'm on. Phone at the moment.

SolarCity Launches First-of-its-Kind Solar Service in Nevada

" SolarCity can allow Nevada homeowners to go solar for as little as $30 per month, with design, installation, financing, insurance, monitoring and a performance guarantee included."

$30/month? Wonder how the competition stacks up?

By the looks of the photos on twitter, looks like local politicians are patting themselves on the back for bring Solarcity to Nevada.

Also, look at the "careers" page, and you'll see Elon as the star interview for the Company... For those that still think Elon doesn't have a big impact on Solarcity should really think about their position for a while. As energy storage starts to ramp up in the second half of this year, the tesla as supplier to Solarcity relationship will become a big news event. I talked directly with Solarcity management and they see energy storage as just another piece of the means of which they will deliver clean, cheap energy. I have yet to hear any other solar company think in such a way...

well, let's see what happens to this "interpretation" as the gigafactory negotiations wind down in the coming weeks... 6500 new jobs and $5bln wins the day every time... I think it's just a matter of Tesla keeping that carrot alive in everyone outside of Nevada... Also, keep Nevada on edge so they will be even more accommodating in expediting permits and instituting great incentives... Again, 6500 jobs and $5bln in new tech manufacturing will change a state overnight and everyone knows it regardless of what part of the political spectrum you stand on...

think about it this way, the benefits/incentives given to Tesla/SolarCity, will be by far dwarfed in comparison to the economic benefits brought by 6500 new tax paying residents working at a new tech manufacturing factory building product that will funnel billions of dollars annually to your state that would've never happened if tesla didn't set up shop there. This is about decades of prosperity and growth. Partisan politics tend to crumble away in the 11th hour in these type of situations.

Last edited:
Wow, not sure if this is social media wide, but if you type "Solarcity" or "Scty" in twitter, a Solarcity generated post pops up. You refresh the feed, and another Solarcity generated post pops up until someone tweets, then another Solarcity generated post pops up again, repeat... Used to always see a natural gas ad every time I refreshed now they are gone...

I have a feeling may 1st kicked off a new stage in solarcity's marketing campaign. Definitely feels that way...

Update: holy crap, it's the same thing for tesla,Elon musk, spacex, etc... This is an Elon enterprises wide thing, they are all working together... Things are ratcheting up, man, Elon is a fierce competitor... I like it

Last edited:
Cramer appears to be pumping up the mo-mo stocks again on CNBC in the video section. Maybe the selloff is over and it's time for all the smart money to pile back into high-growth stocks. I would not want to be a SCTY or TSLA short right now going into ER next Wed.

For those who don't know, Arizona is also trying to repeal net metering.

Also, Arizona just passed a law that allows utilities to charge you and extra fee for having solar; $5/month.

Arizona is the second biggest solar state in the US.

Strike 1 - $60 annual fee for using solar
Strike 2 - Avg. $152 annual increase in property taxes
Strike 3?

Strike 3 is if net metering goes away. If that happens then you bet that people will be breaking lease contracts because solar is losing them money every month, and a lot of it. Without net metering, rooftop solar is not economical.

Battery storage would be great if it was free, but it is expensive. So if you have to pay another $40/month or more for battery storage on top of those fees then solar is not economical at all, unless you go completely off the grid; but then you need a bigger battery.

My average size solar system at 7.68kW produced 46kWh's today and 30 of those were sent to the grid. So those 8kW batteries that SCTY is offering/testing right now for ~$10 - $20 per month are worthless for me, and for most other people as well. I would need at least a 20-30kW battery, but then it starts getting expensive.

If this new tax gets implemented on solar leases after imposing a new $5 fee and net metering does go away in Arizona, then I am fairly certain that at least a few (if not a lot) of people will be cancelling or re-negotiating (doubtful) their contracts with SCTY. And that is another risk for ABS holders, which are only triple B rated for a reason.

Once again, I am not short SCTY. I think that the company will be very successful. Just playing devil's advocate in this thread, because I know that a lot of people appreciate hearing the other side of the story too.

Last edited:
Wow this is BS. I'm a shareholder now of some scty, but really I'm going "this is bs" because it's such a regressive move.

Can you elaborate on what is bs? The stock is down and it was taken down with all the other momentum stocks that have no positive earnings. Earnings come out Wed the 7th. Assuming those come out as expected or better, SCTY should trend higher again soon. Even Cramer now admits the bloodbath against the momentum stocks is likely over. The jobs report today was strong and prior months were revised stronger. This all should be positive news for stocks in general.

Cross your fingers SCTY doesn't do something goofy like delay or botch the earnings release as they did last time. Now that would be BS!

@Thebanker, the volume is low across the board for a while now... It's about the guidance, if great, should see a lot of people jump in at that time... Feels like people are waiting for some kind of number to be leaked or pre-announced. There is a lot news coming out this summer, so it might not be as extreme of a price fade as it was last year... That spring run up was in tandem with Tesla first quarter smash so much different dynamics this year. Feel energy storage might start to be a bigger story (gigafactory too) going into fall... And of course, and regulatory success if that pops up as well.

Not enough is mentioned about short interest helping move the stock price. I think any positive news next week that shines a light on continued long term growth is going to send the shorts running. They are holding the stock down, not the lack of buyers. When 25% of a stock is sold short and 70% is held by insiders, you can see how the shorts are really holding the stock hostage. They only have the upper hand for the moment since all the profit-taking sent the stock down so they have a chip on their shoulder believing they might win this time. They see the stupid lawsuit news almost daily and think that might keep buyers away. Both TSLA and SCTY have been news-deprived lately as far as company releases go. Yesterday's news about NV was nice to see cause it sent the stock up 7% while the stock market was flat. That might prove my case a bit showing that the shorts will cover on new long term growth moves by the company.

Playing devil's advocate - the shorts could smell the blood when the accounting "errors" or delay of earnings report hit us. I have to admit, that was a dumb move on the companies part and I hope they don't repeat that again anytime soon. When you do that as the stock is making all-time highs you send a lot of people running that may never invest again. It's already hard enough to place a value on this company - screwing up the earnings release is just a horrible thing to do. I'd much rather seem them offer low/conservative guidance and hit the numbers 100% of the time vs. shoot for the moon and then delay an ER report! Let's hope they learned their lesson and don't repeat it.

As far as statistics about the company go, I'd love to see more updates out of them. I'd love to see the waiting list and "sale to install" backlog on a monthly basis. As far as I'm concerned, the backlog and the sale-to-install delay are key numbers. It shows me the supply/demand for the product. If the delay to install is dropping and the backlog is growing, that's something to be very excited about. If you're thinking about selling this stock short and you can see a backlog a mile long you'll think twice.

As the saying goes, not one wants to eat at an empty restaurant. I think displaying the backlog would be a great marketing move for the company. It would be a good point to add to their sales pitch as well. "We have so many people wanting solar leases that it's going to take us 4 months to install it and 1000 people are on a waiting list!"

The backlog for delivery of TSLA model S is impressive to me. If that backlog ever shrinks to the point you get your vehicle in 1-2 weeks that would worry me. I'll never short TSLA but having no backlog would stop me from adding to my position as it goes higher.

I intend to add to my SCTY position as it rises again.

@thebanker, the accounting error wasn't related to performance, it was an overhead allocation equation error. If it was material, the stock would've plummeted the instant it hit the wire. It actually stayed in the 80's for a few days after...

I have to disagree on backlog. The less the better.

The accounting error may have been just a minor error but it also delayed the release of the full earnings report and that spooks a lot of investors. You and I know it didn't mean anything substantial but we do not make up the market of average investors.

A large backlog shows high demand for the product. It may be a negative for customer service since everyone wants their panels installed tomorrow, but for growth seeing the backlog is good news. You don't want the installation crews working at 90%, you want them working at 100%. The backlog helps keep the crews swamped with installations. It improves their efficiency by having one job after another lined up ready to keep them busy. I'm sure it helps them install multiple systems in the same area on the same day too.

Maybe it's just me, but I love knowing their product is in such high demand it takes months to get it installed (SCTY)/delivered (TSLA).

I think displaying the backlog would be a great marketing move for the company. It would be a good point to add to their sales pitch as well. "We have so many people wanting solar leases that it's going to take us 4 months to install it and 1000 people are on a waiting list!"

The backlog for delivery of TSLA model S is impressive to me. If that backlog ever shrinks to the point you get your vehicle in 1-2 weeks that would worry me. I'll never short TSLA but having no backlog would stop me from adding to my position as it goes higher.

Apples and oranges. Tesla has a unique product with no real competition, a backlog there indicates potential and creating a market; Solar City is residential PV and there's literally hundreds of competitors already, they do their job very well but investors would not be happy seeing any significant backlog of unfilled demand as they would see SCTY as slipping on fulfillment.

@thebanker, the way I see Solarcity backlog is people don't want to wait for install, so customer satisfaction problems if backlog. However, I see what you're saying. What's hot, people want. But since the untapped market is so big, I think demand is huge now. So the more customers you can service, meaning the higher volume you can handle, the better. Solar PV tends to be a long time purchase, so the market could shrink precipitously as saturation occurs. Not like the iphone, which people seem to buy every 1-3 years...

@nigelm, you are missing one key point that makes Solarcity exactly the same as Tesla... Energy storage. No other solar company has or will have a PV+storage product that can compete. Solarcity is years ahead of the game here. They are already planning for a networked DG grid with utilities, specifically PG&E, so I'd have to disagree with you there.

again, I ask anyone out there to post here a company that will be able to compete with Solarcity on PV+storage. No one seems to be able to come up with one and that should scare you relating to the competitors you support/invest in right now...

solarcity is looking to the absolute future of energy, not just the PV install business. Networked storage takes the power out the utilities hands and puts it squarely in the consumer's. Net metering will change into a energy market. Each roof is a power plant producing that energy the utility(and other producers/consumers) will buy and sell at a market price. Solarcity will most likely be a major player in the market exchange. There are already PV energy "bitcoin-like" currencies popping up out there. This is big picture stuff that Elon and crew have been working on for years. Have to start opening up about what Solarcity is preparing to do here... Cleaner, cheaper energy...

Last edited:
No other solar company has or will have a PV+storage product that can compete.

The story is compelling but let's not get ahead of the game here. Solar City themselves say:

Our battery systems are currently offered in selected California markets. We hope to offer the service nationwide by the end of the year.

The definition of "nationwide" is highly questionable, I think they probably mean "in the states we operate".

Also the storage looks expensive which is why it's only back-up for critical functions like refrigerators etc. For most people outside of earthquake and hurricane zones partial storage makes little sense; now if they got larger storage at a reasonable price there's a whole market of folks who'd happily go off grid.

"Our battery systems are currently offered in selected California markets. We hope to offer the service nationwide by the end of the year."

That demandlogic product just helps businesses offset demand charges. No reason it couldn't be offered nationwide. Does it rely on any kind of subsidies?

I'm sure SCTY can set you up with a battery before long. As TSLA engineers better batteries those are available to SCTY I'm sure. Anyone looking at just a 12 month future for SCTY is really missing the big picture. They are going to gain market share, become more efficient, keep pricing down to keep competition at bay, roll out new technology other companies won't have, etc etc. This is like a CA mudslide that just keeps coming at you. Even when moving slow a mudslide will bury you and I imagine SCTY is going to be responsible for burying much of the competition. Living off the grid is becoming more and more popular. Not to bring up conspiracy stuff here, but the government is becoming more and more invasive in our lives and the trend to get away from the cities will be back in full force when you have a combo of efficient solar panels, battery storage and $35k electric vehicles that people actually love to drive. Now you can go live in a low property tax area that generally has lower cost of living as well. So let's not just think about the lower electricity costs solar provides but let's focus on the ability for the average person to build a decent home off the grid and actually live a cheaper life in general with more privacy. I predict that is going to be something that's more popular down the road. People are getting sick of the government, nosey neighbors, etc. I can't wait to get off the grid. The next thing we need for solar to really take people off the grid is national high speed wi-fi so people can live off the grid and work from home.

Imagine the freedom you can have with panels, batteries, electric car, long range wi-fi and a small greenhouse. There are plenty of people that want to move in this direction and it's going to be available soon. That's what I'm excited about when I see the potential of SCTY/TSLA working together.

Status
Not open for further replies.