Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SolarEdge Monitoring w/Tesla Solar Panels (Using GWY10 Zigbee Gateway)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to give you guys an update on SolarEdge:

Requested solar edge access March 1st. It took 3 weeks and multiple follow up phone calls, but I finally got access today. After checking the access and complaining to Tesla that I don't have proper access, Tesla has given me the run-around on the physical layout, mapper access, and API key. Next, I called solar edge, they just gave me an API key over the telephone. However, for the physical layout, I got a very unexpected answer and hadn't seen this on the forum anywhere. Solar Edge claims ALL installers have access to systems, and I can simply call any solar installer who does solar edge inverters, give them the layout information, and they can input it on my account. I'm sure they will charge $$$ for it, but hey, if this works, it's a good workaround for folks who want the physical layout access without having to become their own installer and moving the install off Tesla's account first. I'm checking to see if any installers will actually do this. I'll see what they say, and if they would also have to move the install away from Tesla's account to do it, or what the deal is. But it's the first time I heard this answer.

I'm going to give it go. As for Tesla, I still haven't paid yet and haven't threatened anything about withholding payment. Tesla is so big, I'm not sure if trying to hold up the payment would give any leverage or not. Trying the easier road first.

Tip for anyone who has a future install. You must remember to get a copy of the installer's layout map and all the inverter QR codes before they leave! If you forget this step, there's very few viable options for getting a physical layout input into solar edge. The install guys think you are crazy when you ask for it, but just make a copy of it or take photos with your phone. They were happy to let me do so, although they couldn't understand why I'd possibly want that information.

I did find a solar installer in the area willing to do it. The basics of it are what you would expect. They have to create a brand new "site" and remove it from Tesla so Tesla will no longer have the ability to see anything. So it's essentially the same as becoming your own installer, except you end up paying another solar company to do it instead of doing it yourself. The company wanted $125, which I feel is reasonable. It might be worth it for someone who doesn't want to do it themselves. However, keep in mind we have no idea what doing this has on your warranty with Tesla. You may be risking your warranty by moving your solar site out of Tesla's solar edge account.

In theory, Tesla can just move it back to their account themselves. However, Tesla might not view it that way, especially if you system is now listed under an actual solar installer instead of yourself.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric