TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Sold my TSLA in the pre-market today

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by GregTexas, Mar 10, 2016.

1. GregTexas

GregTexas Member

I sold at $212.80. Now I can look back and see that at one point I was down $634,770 in just Tesla stock. I bailed with a $10,980 profit on the sale this morning.
    Since I started trading in TSLA May 6, 2015 I've netted $120,997.
    Now I'm a little gun shy about trading in TSLA.

2. Drucifer

Drucifer Active Member

I wouldn't have cleared the whole position, but would have laddered it out. I might have doubled down in the $150s or $160s as well. That's me.

Still, nice recovery. Well played. Kind of a nail biter for sure.

3. GregTexas

GregTexas Member

I considered doing this but after owning so long I wanted out.

I doubled down once. I started with 1,000 shares and added 1,000 share buys as it dropped, peaking out at 9,000 shares.

I just bought 1,000 shares at 206.00. Hopefully not so much drama this time.

4. taurusking

taurusking Member

I am still waiting to see if the share will drop little further...not sure if I am being overly optimistic

5. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

Moderator's note:
    This thread belongs in the Short-term Investors sub-forum; shortly it is likely to be moved over there. Am placing this note so the OP and others will know where to look for it if it disappears from this present venue.

6. drinkerofkoolaid

drinkerofkoolaid Active Member

You were down $634,770 in just TSLA? I hope something is wrong with your math.

7. GregTexas

GregTexas Member

At one point, yes. I owned 9,000 shares with an average share price of $211.58, $1,904,220. On February 9th the price/share dropped to $141.05, $1,269,450.
    At that moment I was down on paper $1,904,220 - $1,269,450 = $634,770. Fortunately I didn't sell at that moment.

8. BobSk

BobSk Member

Greg, I feel your pain, when TSLA was dropping fast, I lose 2 model Xs per day. Instead of feeling depressed, I used the opportunity to add more shares (I planned the adding before hand). I have studied Tesla thoroughly, I knew it would come out great. In your case, I don't think it's the best choice to stay completely out. If I were you I would set a target allocation, let's say $500k. First buy 25%. (Today it passed $220 that's a potential breakout.) If it drops a lot, add another 25%. In the long run, this is going to thousands. If you have zero position, at some (much higher) point, you are likely to jump in and take a lot of risk then. Another approach is to trade other stuff but closely watch Tesla. Buy heavily when it breaks all time high. Sell if it is a fake breakout.