Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solid delivery, car, and first weekend

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thought I'd post since a lot of the stories late have been of the horror variety :) to perhaps assuage the fears of anyone picking theirs up soon, particularly those whose builds were part of the last-week-of-June 7k car thrash, as mine was.

Ordered mid May originally for late June delivery, got pushed to 7/7. Arrived at the San Diego delivery center that morning (a distinct place from the Service Center and from the showroom locations), car was still being detailed. Signed the paperwork in the building, by which time they'd brought it out front. Fortunately everything looked great. A couple tiny smudges on the cream alcantara headliner, nothing bad. 6 miles on the odometer.
IMG_4118-1024x768.jpg

All options present as expected. My car enthusiast buddies had chided me - "I've seen 100 Model X and never one whose door handles align right"... it was the first thing I checked. Good news is the passenger side is as close to perfect as my eyes can tell, though the driver side is maybe 1mm low. My other cars are a '67 Camaro that needs 3/8" of shims to get some of its panels to align, and an '08 Viper where things are shaking and moving around too much to tell how the gaps are... so I'm not really a stickler for those sorts of things, so long as they don't create water leaks or undue wind noise.

The delivery guy Jose was very nice and had the perfect balance of showing me stuff I probably needed to know, while not being condescending. I'd driven a friend's P100D before so the whole thing end-to-end was only about 20 minutes. I snapped a couple photos, paired my phone, and was off.

The rest of my family was running an errand and I realized I hadn't brought my house key, nor could this thing open my garage door until programmed, so I stopped by a nearby park to take a couple more pics. This weekend was a bit of a heat wave in so cal so the session was short..
IMG_4130-1024x768.jpg

IMG_4129-1024x768.jpg

Once home I tested out an initial home charging setup. Going to have an HPWC installed on a 90 amp in case there's ever a need to charge fast. A decade ago I'd had the builder put in a 50A 240 in case I ever want to weld in the garage; had never used that circuit so put a NEMA 14-50 on it, bought a Camco 30' extension cord (since it's in the wrong spot in the garage) so until the HPWC is in, used the UMC to get it going..
IMG_4145-1024x768.jpg

I'd seen a dozen videos of people charging but didn't realize until going to do it the first time, how that magic little circle makes the door open. Cool stuff.
At this time I also installed a set of 3d Maxpider all-weather mats..because 7 year old kid and dog travel companion.
Drove around a bit later, and when plugging in for the night at 54%, it said it'd need 7 hours to get to 100%. Since we had a big trip planned to LA and back the next day, set it to start charging at 1:30am to 100%, with a planned 8:50am departure time the next morning.
The car was deadly accurate in predicting the time it'd need to get to 100%, it did so within a few minutes of its estimate, and we were off on time with a full "tank".
IMG_4152-1024x768.jpg

Setting off for our big trip, it was interesting to no longer have the braking regen. The day before I'd gotten used to it, and could basically operate the car without using the friction brakes, other than to hold the car at a light. With the car above 95% charge or so the regen was really limited so the friction brakes had to be used more.

The trip took us up into and around LA, lots of various stops. While we could have made it all the way back home (about 250 miles driving) we decided to try out a Supercharger. We stopped at the Downey one, there were about half the stalls open. We arrived with the estimator saying we'd make it home with only 5% left. We wanted a 20% margin so we added 15%... this one is a 72kw max Supercharger, it took a while (>20 min) to add that 15%. This stop was kind of a bummer because there wasn't anything decent to walk to and it was over 100 degrees outside, with no shade when charging.

Later we stopped at the 21-stall Supercharger at the San Clemente outlet mall. Kid had to use the restroom. This was a pretty killer SC experience; we arrived with 43% not really needing to charge, but by the time we'd gotten to the restroom and back, the car was up to 70%! o_O
IMG_4156-576x1024.png

As we were walking to the restrooms I checked the Tesla app on my phone (mainly to make sure the A/C hadn't decided to turn itself off on my wife and dog...still getting use to its auto-locking behaviors) and saw the above on the charging screen. Wowzers! Was only getting 7kw on my homebrew charging thing the night before.

So, long story short, solid delivery experience, solid car delivered, and solid first weekend of driving >300 miles total, every one of them with the AC cranked. Looking forward to the next 300 thousand miles! :D

Awesome! Ours went into production June 26, and in transit as of July 2. I must admit i am a tiny bit worried about getting a car from the production blitz of the last week in June! Mostly because we live 400km (300 miles) from the nearest SC. I know Tesla will make it right, I just don't want to be constantly taking the car down there. But we knew that was a risk going it. Hopefully we can get a ranger to our city.

Since we are taking delivery in Toronto, I suspect it will be another two weeks before we get it. I can't wait! Our kids get out of camp toward the end of the month and we can't wait to surprise them at pick up (hopefully we have it by then!). They have no idea, even with the Tesla charger already installed in the garage...LOL We already sold our minivan (two weeks ago), so I currently driving our 14 year old Dodge Ram truck without a/c...it will be quite the upgrade.

Reactions: Prairie and Corbets
Incredibly beautiful. We also ordered the midnight blue, but std interior. Those pictures are gorgeous. I installed a couple 6-50 receptacles with 50A breaker years ago for my welder(s). So I was hoping would be easy to use - already purchased the UMC 6-50 adapter. Please continue to post positive experiences (which I'm assuming you will have plenty) - gets old reading the same naysayers (on all of the whining internet).

Reactions: jboy210
Went with the carbon fiber. Ordered just before they made the switch to the new oak trim, so was spared the heartache of wondering how it'd look. Haven't seen the oak in person yet but am pleased with the carbon; with the cream interior the seats and headliner are light colored, so it doesn't really need a light wood to break up the darkness.

I originally went CF but after seeing the oak trim, I changed out of CF and into oak. I've always wanted CF in my car, but my wife and I felt the oak actually looked better. I'll post pictures in a few weeks when I get it, but there are some floating around here of some of the pictures and it looks really good.