Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solid white or pearl white

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My first Tesla was solid white, my current one is pearl white. Yes, when I inspect the pearl paint closely, I can see the "sparkli-ness," but further than 24", I honestly can't tell the difference. Spend your $1500 elsewhere.

The Pearl White actually comes to live when it gets dark. Whenever any light hits the car you can see the difference. In daytime it's a bit harder I must admit.

I have a Pearl White MS and shopped it against Solid White. In fact, I made a special trip to Santana Row (nearly 2 hours from me) to see the pearl. Obviously it's personal preference, and I recommend trying to see both in person. My personal observation is that the depth of the Pearl White seems to emphasize the lines of the vehicle. That's something I enjoy seeing. Others have mentioned that solid white is a more modern, "updated" look. That could be true as well.

I pass something like 100 MSs a week while driving. A good number are white, and it's not often I can be sure if they're Pearl or Solid. Just remember that it's for you, not as much for anyone else in traffic.

I'll add one final note, which is that I ordered my MX in Pearl White also.. so yeah.

Flickr

It has a few photos of both colors on model s including close ups and in bright sunlight.

After seeing both in person, I decided to save the $1500. One of the reasons was color matching a scratched fender, for example, is a lot easier and cheaper than a multi coat version.

The demo car in Calgary is pearl white, the first time I saw it was the first time I realized I would never pay for that. I needed to be within 6" to tell that it wasn't flat white, no way would I pay extra for something nobody can even see until their nose is pressed to the hood.

The demo car in Calgary is pearl white, the first time I saw it was the first time I realized I would never pay for that. I needed to be within 6" to tell that it wasn't flat white, no way would I pay extra for something nobody can even see until their nose is pressed to the hood.
But, that tailgater will not be dazzled by the beautiful multicoat white!

Does anyone have Stats as to what percentage of people have bought Solid White or Pearl White? I went to the Tesla Service center and there were at least 10 Pearl White and 0 Solid White. There were about 30 cars there.

in addition to more $, pearl white is harder to match in a touch up or repair. I can never tell the diff when I see other white teslas. I have pearl but if i bought again would probably get regular white.

I've had both, definitely prefer the white, and if you ever need to touch-up or paint, the white is WAY better for matching. The metal flakes in the Pearl are almost impossible to color match.

Plus, you save $. The white looks absolutely awesome with a chrome delete:

tesla-my-sc1-sm.jpg

Reactions: Softwizard
Does anyone have Stats as to what percentage of people have bought Solid White or Pearl White? I went to the Tesla Service center and there were at least 10 Pearl White and 0 Solid White. There were about 30 cars there.
The stores usually stock demos in metallic colors ,solid white is like "Stormtropper" and Pearl while has a sparkly dazzle appreciated from close view...it's very personal and if you want to save or spend $$ you have to make the choice , you will not regret either way

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I would recommend seeing both colors in person. It's true that matching the pearl for touch up and repair is very difficult. A good paint shop can do it, but most body and repair shops are not at that level and they would probably have an easier time repainting the entire car than trying to match a section.

As for the look, many say that they can only tell the difference close up. I can see the difference between regular white and pearl a mile away. I like both and have reasons to prefer one over the other. In the end we ordered ours in pearl because it was my wife's second choice and my third choice, but the closest to the top of the list we both agreed on. Heh.

I had a solid white S a few years back which I sold, and my current S and X are both pearl white. In certain lighting conditions, the pearl white looks warmer. And up close, it has a more upscale sparkling/glittering appearance similar to pearl/multi-coat whites from other manufacturers. With that said, the solid white looks great and unless someone is a diehard pearl white fan or you happen to have both cars side by side, the average person wouldn't know there is more than one white option. If you plan on selling your car down the line, the $1500 upgrade for pearl white is $1500 you'll never get back.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Like @commasign above, I have a pearl white S and am taking delivery of a pearl white X in two days. My wife's car is the X and she said if it was going be white, it'd have to be pearl white. In her opinion, the "stormtrooper" look wasn't appealing. Personally, I like solid white just as much. And yes, it's throwing away money if you don't care that much about the difference, because it has zero residual value.

I picked up the pearl white last week. It is so nice. Love the pearlescent in the paint. I have solid white in a 1998 Toyota Landcruiser and have absolutely loved the solid white for durability and it looks clean and sharp unless its really dirty.

Pearl white is inefficient. You have to buy two cans of paint. One can for the white and one can for the pearl. Pearl comes from processing natural gas, plus it has to be blended into the neighboring panels. Why so wasteful? Plus people have to mix that toxic stuff. Why have pearl at all if this EV idea is about helping the earth. Don't buy a pearl car. Pearls are for sissies.

My cannibalized redesigned Tesla 4x from a house fire has zero options. All electric. 300 miles to a charge. That's the way to go. I can row down the windows myself. Lock it myself. I don't need a TV screen to tell me where to go. What a waste of REEs.
I need no AC. I'll give my extra money to wounded soldiers. Go T4x. let me design your next car.