Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front passenger seat rattle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm... The only thing that makes noise when I play with it is this black plastic cover (?) that I highlighted in red. What harness are you all referring to?
In our case, if someone was sitting in the seat, the rattle went away. IIRC, it is that piece, or the connector going into it. The piece would also fall out, so I stuck a little duct tape under it (so did the Tesla mechanic the first time) but it still loosened and clicked. This yellow zip tie was my solution. Provided it's the same thing, it has worked for almost a year.

1677097609422.png

Here is an excellent video on how to fix a front seat crackling/squeaking/rattling noise.
In my case, the noise has been going on since day one of ownership and I've sworn that it was coming from the right rear of the car.
Noticed that whenever my wife sat in the passenger seat, the noise went away. So after finding this video, I removed the back from the front passenger seat and checked the position of the two grommets discussed in the video and they seemed fine. BUT, I noticed a lot of play involving a black hook about 3 in. wide located near the top of the seat back and attaches to a silver metal plate. I taped the black hook tight against the metal plate to limit movement and I also for good measure secured the small white electrical connector near the bottom left against the yellow bracket. Re-installed the seat back and headrest and went for a drive. NO noise!! So when you have the seat back off, be sure and check the grommets for secure position and also check for excessive play in the black hook part. Hope this helps someone.
Thanks RickCRNA, followed your instruction, but found the grommets to be in place. Instead, found the "hooks" that hold the seat back cover to the seat frame to be loose and causing the rattle in my 2022 M3. Using a flathead screwdriver, I inserted some insulation foam strips. All rattle from seat gone!!

Attachments

• 1682287117354.png
    1682287117354.png
    517 KB · Views: 206
I have had similar issues with the passenger seat clicking, and rattling noises when the seat is empty, I found some of the sources but there is still a bit that I need to hunt down. The main noise I found was the two vertical rods that fit into the top cross member of the seat they have plastic clips at the point when they go into the cross member but there is still play in them. There was also a creaking noise if you were sitting in the seat this appeared to be these rods flexing and rubbing at the point where they enter the cross member. I put cable ties on both to hold them tight and this stopped the creaking noise when you are sitting in the seat and some of the clicking but there are other spots also. I made a video to show it.

SAME ISSUE!! 22 refresh MXLR the creaks are starting to get to me when I drive solo in the car, now that the snow has melted I will try the above's fixes
passenger seat makes same noise!
then there is something in rear 3rd row hatch area. fun to diagnose by yourself...

Reactions: DrGriz