Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solved, Homelink not closing garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This works for my situation, may not work for everyone. My problem was that after Homelink was installed last week it would not automatically close the garage door. Or course I had it set. It worked perfectly to open the door when I came home. I have a Genie brand that is older and has the rotating code type of remote. I also have the sensors at the bottom sides of my garage which sense dogs, etc, walking across the beam when closing the garage door. My situation is I open the garage door with the button on the garage wall and then enter the car and leave. It did not automatically close the door. What I found is that when you get home and the door automatically opens as I enter the garage and the car is blocking the beam sensors so the garage will not close I press the Homelink button on the screen to close the garage. It physically does not close due to the beam sensors being blocked by the car, but I guess the car thinks something, not really sure. After I get out of the car, I close the garage door with the button on the garage wall. I repeat this scenario and now when I leave the garage with the car it shows closing the door in 20 feet and it works. Not sure why, but it is repeatable for me.

Reactions: frankvb
Update, for my situation when I leave the house homelink automatically closes the garage door and opens it when I return. When I leave the house and come to the first stop light, I press the homelink garage door button like I am opening the garage door. Of course I am out of range so nothing happens. For some reason, the software needs to have this done once each trip for it to work automatically in my situation. I no longer press the button as I posted in the first post.

I've disabled the auto open/close as it was just too unreliable for me. I already have a auto open and close via Tailwind, only reason I wanted the homelink auto-close (which you can't set to only close which was also a bit annoying, it only allows close if you enable open) as the Tailwind only closes the door if you're a few hundred feet away.

So now I just manually close with the homelink screen button - and the Tailwind is the backup for that.

Update, for my situation when I leave the house homelink automatically closes the garage door and opens it when I return. When I leave the house and come to the first stop light, I press the homelink garage door button like I am opening the garage door. Of course I am out of range so nothing happens. For some reason, the software needs to have this done once each trip for it to work automatically in my situation. I no longer press the button as I posted in the first post.

I have the same issue. What is odd is that homelink works both ways for my wife's settings but not mine. I have to manually close the door unless I have just switched settings from hers to mine then it sometimes works.